Learn More

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie Greg Jacobs (4/21/2009 4:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I'm trying to remember a poem I think I've read back in high school. I had to read it for class so it may be a popular poem but I haven't found it anywhere.

As I recall, the poem essentially describes that when children are young they think their father can do anything in the world. Then as they age, or become teenagers they don't think they're fathers are worth anything. But yet again as they get older still they realize they were right in the beginning and their father really is amazing. I don't believe it was told thru the eyes of a child, more just statements describing any child/father relationship.

Thank you soooooooo much if you can help me find this poem! ! ! !

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Laura Burns (4/22/2009 2:23:00 PM) Post reply

Are you sure it was a poem? Reminds me of this Mark Twain quotation: When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I w ... more

• Rookie Bethany Halcrow (4/17/2009 5:52:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for a poem that I interpreted as being about the negative effect of supressing your emotions. I THOUGHT it was by Brian Patten but I've searched my BP poetry books and can't find it!
    The lines go something like 'where does it go? this want without an ache/name'(not sure if it's ache or name) then later it says 'and, mingling with the blood, creates a poison there'

I am desperate to read this poem again so please help if you can! ! !

• Rookie - 83 Points Bullion Grey (4/17/2009 5:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a poem, written on a life.
    It was a reaffirmation of a specific recommendation, something about rejuvenation. This actual riddle, hidden in this poem, tied by rhymn settled in prose had a notation without any vulgarization. Long lost words, that of experimentation with a collective variation mean't to be a simplification of living a simple life. Where is this poem written on a life? Could it of been lost in a ground of illumination? Was it mischaractorized by a miniaturization of a negative correlation? Just where can this poem be? I need to read it again you see? For my psychical edification, my mental representation for a concrete explaination of my simple integration of this simple life I lead.
    Let me know if you find this poem, please?
    BG

• Rookie Deb A. (4/14/2009 5:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I read a poem in the early seventies in high school and cannot remember the author's name. This is the poem:
    Razors pain you
    Rivers are damp
    Acids stain you
    Drugs cause cramp
    Guns aren't lawful
    Nooses give
    Gases smell awful
    You might as well live.

If anyone knows the author's name, please say! !

• Rookie - 3 Points Trade Martin (4/14/2009 1:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm searching for a unique poem with the word 'you' misspelled in it a few times. Thanks.

• Rookie - 3 Points Laura Burns (4/15/2009 4:18:00 PM) Post reply

'You' and other words are misspelled in this poem, first verse by Mark Eckman, continued by Jerry Zar: CANDIDATE FOR A PULLET SURPRISE I have a spelling checker. It came with my PC. It pla ... more

• Rookie Tejaswi Sreevatsava (4/13/2009 11:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hello!
    can you please help me out in finding the poem which ends saying'.......there is nothing like home...'
    its a quite famous one but i'm unable to recollect its title or its author to search directly.

• Rookie Laura Burns (4/13/2009 5:26:00 PM) Post reply

Could this one be it? http: //www.poemhunter.com/poem/home-sweet-home/

• Rookie Angela Burke (4/11/2009 5:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello everyone. I happily stumbled across this site during my search for a poem (no surprise, there) . I can see that there are lots of people searching on here, but I'm going to add my own, anyway.
    It's a poem by G F Bodley (primarily an architect) from the 19th century that refers to 'love's palace'. It inspired a stunning painting by pre-Raphaelite painter John Melhuish Strudwick called, funnily enough, Love's Palace, which hangs in Sudley House in Liverpool. I'm not even sure that the poem was ever published, but if anyone can offer any clues, or even pointers for doing a more thorough search myself I would be much obliged.

• Rookie Laura Burns (4/12/2009 4:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

All I could find was a couplet: Let come what may, for that grim Fate decides, Love rules the day, and Love, enthroned, abides.

• Rookie A Person (4/10/2009 1:31:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for a poem that ends with the line 'I imagine I'm with you again'. I read it somewhere and I can't find it anywhere!

• Rookie Paige S (4/6/2009 6:46:00 PM) Post reply

I am trying to find a poem. I think it is called 'Evolution', but I cannot remember the name of the poet. It is a satire of evolution, and I just love it! One of the lines goes something like this, 'and once I told my tale, I got a PhD' or something like that, if that helps.

• Rookie essie mcgrath (4/3/2009 6:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i am trying to find information about a poem by A.S.J Tessimond called Jamaican bus ride'. I would be appreciate your help.

thanks

• Rookie Laura Burns (4/3/2009 7:18:00 PM) Post reply

It is on this site at: http: //www.poemhunter.com/a-s-j-tessimond/ but not as one of the listed poems. You can find the poem by scrolling down to the comments.

[Hata Bildir]