Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Helen Benoit United States (1/25/2013 2:01:00 PM)

I have been searching for this poem for over a decade. This site was recommended as THE source for poetry, so I have great hopes!
The poem is about death and how it is like a great tall ship, how it leaves port to wailing and tears of those on shore and how the ship after crossing the horizon is awaited by smiles and cheer by those on 'the other side'. It doesn't reference death at the beginning.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...it is for a dying navy vet who would like it read at his funeral. Thanks.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Freshman - 1,463 Points Laura Burns (1/25/2013 8:12:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Possibly this is it:

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: 'There, she is gone! '

'Gone where?'

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear the load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: 'There, she is gone! ' There are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: 'Here she comes! '

-Henry Van Dyke

[Hata Bildir]