Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Mike Acker (4/16/2014 12:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Very Interesting Frankie(frankly I don't care who you really are) .
    Your list is interesting. It is close to what my list would be.

Here is my take:

1. Unquestionably Jefferson Carter. The main reason is that every time I read anything of Lamont Palmer's I always think of molasses dripping and immediately yearn for JC's distilled whiskey..I mean style.
    2. Jim Crawford. Not sure(since I am not a professional critic) how far behind JC Jim is. Jim crawford has both brevity and music in his poetry. Knew nothing about him till very recently.
    3. I believe Jim Hogg, Danny Reynolds, and sometimes Angie Gunnell occupy third position with Jim Hogg at the top in this position. I would like to see Danny Reynolds " let it all hang out" (as someone mentioned recently.
    4. The Scotty Dogg aka Steve Ralph aka Stan Grossman is not far behind the lowest in position three. Have never read anything long though. He my be good at short poems with a punch line and that's it. He seems to be Palmer's barker!
    5. Palmer's biggest weakness is what you get when you do the math on his bark compared to his poetry!

Where do I fit? On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being a Wallace Stevens(The Emperor of Ice Cream, Anecodte of the Jr, etc....) , I am a humble 3 to 4(at worst) and 5 1/2 to 6(at my very best) .

Replies for this message:
    • Frank Ovid (4/16/2014 1:52:00 PM) Post reply

Good list. On a different day mine might have looked like this. Who knows. I'll have to research Crawford. Haven't read much of him yet. Dogg and Grossman write 'Joke Poems', I'd leave them out. And, ... more

• Mike Acker (4/16/2014 1:15:00 PM) Post reply

My screen oozed your sarcasm.

• Chatty Dreck (4/16/2014 1:12:00 PM) Post reply

Thank goodness - I was just about to give up writing altogether, but now that I'm on this illustrious list, I have new hope. You have saved me from literary suicide, Mike.

• Mike Acker (4/16/2014 11:48:00 AM) Post reply

Low

The wind made its presence known
    by rustling the top branches
    sending shivers through their leaves.

It marked its territory, up there.
    " You are low" , I heard it breathe.
    You are not high and free.......like me.

Mike Acker

• Kathleen Neff (4/16/2014 10:06:00 AM) Post reply

Hey everyone, I need some help with my book. I always start a chapter with an exert from a poem and I am running out of poems to use. I usually put the exert then underneath it the author and which poem its was from. If you have any poems in mind that kinda relates to black roses or death, it would really be appreciated. Well it doesn't have to be death but something related to dark, and sadness. So as I said before, if you have anything like that just post the poem and who it is by and I will take a look. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Kathleen.

• Brian Johnston (4/16/2014 9:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Can't get to member area. How Weird!

• * Sunprincess * (4/16/2014 10:59:00 AM) Post reply

.......I can't get to my messages....something is wrong with the system...

• Dan Reynolds (4/16/2014 7:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Anyone else having trouble accessing the members area?

• delilah contrapunctal (4/16/2014 4:18:00 AM) Post reply

Here's an example of parallelismus membrorum:

Reflections

Do not let me enter;
    do not shut me out;
    I am the hurricane
    and the gentle breeze;
    I am a memory
    you have forgotten
    and I am the future
    that will never be.

Parallelisus Membrorum is of traditional Hebrew origin. It has lines of parallel construction and presents antitheses and complementary extensions. The lines are usually short and contain three or four words.

something relatively simple with which to work/play?

• Rich Persoff (4/15/2014 6:21:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Wow! Over 20,000 poems a week! at 10 seconds per poem, that's 200,000 seconds, or about 60 hours. I doubt even poetry contest judges or magazine editors work that hard. Which ones did they like best?Did they remember any?

• Frank Ovid (4/15/2014 1:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Here's the first edition my much anticipated " Top Five List of Poets on Poemhunter" I'll do a new one every month. Don't sweat it if you're not here, I haven't gotten around to all of everyone's stuff yet. You may push your way in by next month.

5) Danny-Employs a lot of humor which I love. I want to drink pint with him.
    4) Lamont-Stays true to what he loves and 'brings it' every poem. Could be higher but I'm more of a free-form guy.
    3) Jefferson-Could be higher but I only have 4 poems to go by. Love his wacky sense of the absurd.
    2) Dog God 8hate-The guy is brilliant in my book. Makes you think on about 6 different levels.
    1) delilah contrapunctal-We had a scrap last night but it doesn't matter. A terrific poet. Where has she been and why doesn't anyone read her poems?I didn't see very many comments!

Honorable mention- Angie (don't know much of her stuff, but what I've seen ain't bad) , Acker (improving) , Hogg (haven't got to much of him yet. I will) , Grossman (crazy MF) , Ralph (keep trying) Adam (tries his a*s off) . I've forgotten a few, I'll catch you next month.

• Jefferson Carter (4/16/2014 10:25:00 AM) Post reply

Frank, yer one smart dude! Your list is a way to guarantee discussions of and interest in PH poets' work! ! In fact, I'm inspired by my need for approval to add some more poems to my PH page. I wan ... more

• Adam M. Snow (4/15/2014 1:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Check out my new poetry website
    http://amsnow.weebly.com

• Paige Brimer (4/15/2014 10:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Oh where Oh where is the day?
    Why does it always go away?
    And leave me to the night so alone
    When we all believe
    We are in the zone
    When truly bumping into something
    Did you light up or turn to stone?