Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Veteran Poet - 4,385 Points Tony Adah (10/27/2014 4:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Just read a poem by Wallace Stevens titled- Of Modern Poetry.
    I love this poem. It touches on the raw materials a poem draws
    On and how a poem works in the mind of the reader Or the listener.
    A poem must be fresh and it must avoid outdated concerned and forms.
    A great tonic for us fledgling scribblers!

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie - 16 Points Gaumet Charlotte (10/27/2014 5:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello, I have an Essay which is: Is poetry a denial or sublimation of reality?
    Wondered if you have any ideas or poets to help me with this question...
    It's in British literature so I'm allowed to quote any English poets from Shakespeare to nowadays

Thanks
    CG

• Rookie - 16 Points John Westlake (10/28/2014 5:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I would not say that it is a denial of reality as such. While poets can create great works, none can create true reality as that already exists. A poet can create an illusion of reality in a poem, b ... more

• Gold Star - 13,977 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (10/27/2014 1:57:00 AM) Post reply

I have read a poem " simple word 15. Pussy cat speaks" I liked it since it is the pussy cat a domestic one that speaks through the poem and it is really amusing to read such a realistic poem with our own home experience. The poet has done a marvelous job to create such a relevant poem which will be interested to the readers in every stage of life.

• Freshman - 1,297 Points Mike Acker (10/27/2014 12:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Appropriate for the times?

The Keepers

When baby strollers were instant coffins,
    and body parts were stepped upon.
    When gray matter hung on walls
    like wet cotton balls.

They continued to do what they do.
    Those who ate ate.
    Those who slept slept.
    Those who watched watched.

When their children were skinned, and their parents
    lost their heads, then their minds.
    When rape and rapine became so commonplace,
    that it was too late for solace.

They, they couldn't stop what they did.
    Those who laughed laughed.
    Those who looked looked.
    Those who thought forgot.

Am I my brother's keeper?
    Mike Acker

• Gold Star - 13,977 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (10/26/2014 8:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

World classics are great literary assets of the world ever. The great novel Hunchback of Notredame written by the great novelist Victor hugo is one among them. The character he created in this novel Quassimodo, a deformed differently abled hunch back himself, Esmaralda, the beautiful street dancing girl, can't be forgot by a reader of this novel. It is actually the story of the depressed souls of the differently able man and his emotions as a human being.II think that as long as literary interests are there this novel will continued to be interested by the world community and great world classics are ever relevant to society since the stories are the actual incidents happening in communities of world wide which have no boundary or ethnicity. The real human being is the real meaning of a world classic.

• Rookie - 919 Points Gulsher John (10/26/2014 7:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Angel's fear

No form of love is perfect
    or wrong,
    Let's love, no matter
    how many skies
    may fall, or winds
    get stormed.
    Let's not make our nights
    full of regrets.
    listen! darkness is playing
    song of the instincts.

p.s. worked and reposted.

• Rookie - 919 Points Professor Plum (10/27/2014 7:09:00 PM) Post reply

I liked it too. Very esoteric.(from the good Professor Plum, not the @r$ehole, Professor Plum)

• Rookie - 919 Points Professor Plum (10/26/2014 9:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I really like this John. I always do a couple of double takes while reading your work (I consider that a good thing) , and in the end it's pretty satisfying. Good job!

• Gold Star - 11,765 Points Mandolyn ... (10/25/2014 5:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

alright,
    i've had it up to HERE ^
    with these dang audios attached to my poems.

we aren't given a box to click NO AUDIO
    when we submit a poem.

i notice many of my recent poems are now popping up with audio
    and usually it's when i leave a poets note.
    is that the trick to get rid of that biz?leave the poets note blank?

no more audio, or i'll automatically cuss! and dude, i'm a Quaker
    we say heavens to betsy 'n raise barns with our stars 'n garters!
    hells bells,
    are still ringing
    on this site as of late.

k, i'm done. i'm grabbing my pitchfork and finding a dang potluck.

• Rookie - 48 Points John Tansey (10/24/2014 4:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It is in the subtlety
    And not the blunt insult,
    The threat and not the onslaught;

A Gift from the Romantic

The implied and not the explicit.

It is in the first gleaning,
    remembered scents of Spring
    And not the direct,

Overhead heat of Summer.

The autumnal dread
    And not the dead of Winter;
    The sweet dream of sleep

And not the bleak morning after.

When somewhere between the gift,
    And it’s crumpled paper wrapping,
    Lie an infinity

Of finite things to be chosen:

But of a thousand choices
    if I must choose one,
    I would settle, instead,

For the choice and forego the choosing…

John Tansey 11.25 07

Copyright ©2008 John Thomas Tansey

• Freshman - 2,214 Points Pranab K Chakraborty (10/24/2014 12:02:00 PM) Post reply

Not alone, actually a procession of poets are crossing the time, to express it's warm feel much poor by expression. Yet the crowd makes noise of breaking loneliness.

• Gold Star - 13,977 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (10/24/2014 4:07:00 AM) Post reply

I do not love you except because I love you. A beautiful poem of Pablo Neruda which I got a chance to read in Poem hunter.com. A great poem from the great poet.

[Hata Bildir]