Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 6:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Request: I'd like to see Lamont and Jefferson pick a half dozen or so pieces with a variety of styles, dismantle them and tell us why or why not they are worthy poems. Would be enlightening.

Replies for this message:
    • Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 8:25:00 PM) Post reply

Jim, I'd like this too, but maybe Lamont could take some lines from some of my more " prosaic" poems and analyze their prosaic elements, and I could take a few lines from his sort of iambic ... more

• metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 6:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

This one's for Jefferson. Jefferson, in your opinion is all more 'traditional' poetry ipso facto inferior in comparison to good contemporary stuff?Does free or open verse trump all?

• Professor Plum Rookie - 1st Stage (9/6/2014 9:11:00 PM) Post reply

The reference to " Treasure of the Sierra Madre" just moved you up on my list. Humor helps your argument. Nice one.

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 8:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jim, I don't need no stinkin' ipso facto! i mean, no, I adore great formal poetry. It's just so hard to do well without sounding stiff, mummified, stale, reactionary or all four. I love Richard Wi ... more

• metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 6:34:00 PM) Post reply

Oh, and what about rhyming vs. non-rhyming. LOL! Just kidding!

• metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 6:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

This one's for Lamont. Lamont, do you reject out of hand all pieces of writing that don't adhere to some kind of 'form' (form being defined according to your own proclivities, whatever they might be) , as not being 'poetry'?I was just going over some of my old stuff posted here, and found lots and lots of pieces that probably don't line up with your poetic sensibilities. Example:

Binge, then Purge

Up one aisle, and down the other, auditioning
    each product with a lickpenny’s economy.
    It doesn’t grow on trees, you know! Or so
    they tell me. I’ve a hankering for dialectic,
    though I always avoid the regional colloquies
    (they give me gas) . That reminds me- I really
    should head over to the frozen causeries
    section and pick up some tete-a-tetes before
    my coupons expire. On the way, I pass the
    day-old fabler’s rack; thoroughly gone over,
    I lament. All’s left are a few old loaves of
    fusty reminiscences, already sporting muzzy
    little pulpits of mawkish anecdotes. I turn
    up the volume on my inner dialogue, squirt
    around the always tempting confabulation
    display case with my lapper in my ears
    (we are what we attend; or, so they tell me) ,
    and suddenly find myself nose-to-nose with
    the samples lady, hawking no less that FIVE
    tribes of calumny, along with a medley of
    dainty finger-points marinated in their own pulp!
    Needless to say, I’ve been here all afternoon.

Never go shopping when you’re hungry.

As you can see, this piece is broken up rather arbitrarily. Is it a poem?If not, what would you call it?And don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings. :)

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/6/2014 9:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jim, this has your usual cleverness. I'd call it a monologue, or a first person narrative, which characterizes much of contemporary poetry today. The syntax is standard and pretty straightforward, and ... more

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 8:27:00 PM) Post reply

It's all POETRY (VERSE) but maybe not " poetic." Just ask Lamont.

• metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 5:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

'Surely some revelation is at hand.' Herein lies my quibble. :)

• Bull Hawking Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 4:05:00 PM) Post reply

Some people who have a beef with God
    Find he is only serving chicken

g

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 11:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Lamont does have a point here: " JC, I really don't think anyone else is puzzled by that. 'Prosaic rhythms', meaning it flows like chopped up prose in many spots. Now stop parsing words and playing semantics with me. You knew precisely what I meant. You called the contest winning poem 'too prosaic' or 'too banal' on your FB page. I meant the same thing you meant. The difference is, 'Their' uses richer language and fresher imagery and it doesn't preach. Sure its a poem. But in certain parts, it drags and gets chatty. However, I liked it. Its a little better than a chopped up diary entry or a mere dramatic monologue."

OK, when I say " prosaic, " I usually mean the content, not the rhythm of a poem. The images are unoriginal, the thoughts banal and predictable, so it's content I'm responding to. I'm really not sure what Lamont means by " prosaic rhythms." Perhaps a lack of alliteration? A lack of sound pattern (though any line of poetry has a pattern of sound it seems to me....) Puhleeze, Lamont, explain, and don't say " prosaic rhythms 'flow' like chopped up prose, " whatever the hell that means. Give me a specific example, maybe from the pigeon poem, and analyze its rhythm.

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 3:29:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Thanks Plum. I understand why JC bobs and weaves on this issue: naturally, he's dedicated to, and invested in prosy poetry, but he doesn't want to be so blunt about it. Like you said, its mostly a mat ... more

• Professor Plum Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 2:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

If I may rudely interject here- -he means it reads like a short story, not a poem. Have you ever read a Dr. Seuss story?Red Fish Blue Fish?Green Eggs and Ham, perhaps? As simple (and lovely) as they ... more

• Gajanan Mishra Silver Star - 5th Stage (9/5/2014 9:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Think not yourself great, my dear men,
    You are only one creature among so many.
    Give respect to all inhabitants of this world
    both living and non-livings,
    moving and non-moving.
    All have equal right to live.
    Do your duties.

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (9/5/2014 11:21:00 AM) Post reply

Is this poetry or teacher's advice...?

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/5/2014 10:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Gajanan Mishra" s poems have a unique experience while reciting. Most of the times it is brief but a message to the readers which have an importance to the life. This is also a beautiful poem a ... more

• Gajanan Mishra Silver Star - 5th Stage (9/4/2014 8:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Let us observe a man at every moment but say not anything and enjoy life.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/4/2014 10:11:00 AM) Post reply

Reciting oneself a poem understanding its meaning is a unique experience oneself to entertain and making us good feels. Poetry recitation is naturally easing tensions and keeping away the disturbing things of every day life and it is nice to read good poems and experiencing its sound vibrations and meanings and making our own comments about the poems a good thing.

• Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/4/2014 7:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

By reading others' poems, then we will support ourselves with great knowledge of others' styles and methods. We don't want to imitate, but we need to help ourselves making ourselves able to write well. Thanks.

• John Westlake Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/4/2014 7:06:00 PM) Post reply

Read other poems?? Yes. But each poet must a style that they feel comfortable with

[Hata Bildir]