Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Paul Butters (7/15/2014 5:07:00 AM) Post reply Stage

A cheeky one. (Moi?) . Over the years I have continued my policy of posting most of my poems on Poemhunter. It is a safe residence for them. However, I see that everyone gets fewer views these days. As a experiment, on the 12th July, I posted my poem " Communication" on 4 different sites. The results to press: Poemhunter 13 Views, My Own Blogger Blog 9, " VoicesNet" 29, " Hello Poetry" 228. Also got some " Likes" and comments on VN and HP though not as many as usual. However, I rest my case. Seems people are reading and responding more on other sites. Would love to know why.

• Gulsher John (7/14/2014 11:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

HOW TO READ (a poem) POETRY?

i often think how to read poetry?aloud or silently(like a novel or like a song?) which one is more rejoicing?
    about poetry we know that it's a rhythmic expression.
    A reader, A writer and a teacher, all have different ways and purpose of reading and these all stir different emotions.
    My question is, If i read a poem silently(as most people do) how can i get its rhythm/music?
    i.e. stressed, unstressed, or rise and fall etc...if this is the case in " English poetry " then how can we get RHYTHM in our lines.?
    As (about) Latin Poetry makes it clear that it is a SIN to read poetry silently, and the better the poet the worse the SIN....
    Romans not only read aloud, but they read everything with gusto and with much pleasure.
    we were told in our reading class that poetry to be sing (lips and tongue) to heighten its effects and appreciation and Novels to be reas (eyes) to get understanding.but now...

Replies for this message:
    • Paul Butters (7/15/2014 5:00:00 AM) Post reply Stage

That's a no brainer to me my friend. Read aloud in your head with that " inner voice" . Skim-reading is for getting those literature essays done ASAP. I confess, I could never skim read whic ... more

• Jefferson Carter (7/14/2014 11:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Adam, you're so funny! ! I love your sense of humor, writing such horrible dreck and then pretending you've offered it as a good poem! You're a very clever troll, and I salute you!
    Dont' stop writing! The world really does need the laughs you provide! Your fan, JC

• Professor Plum (7/13/2014 8:35:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Carter! ! ! ! Calm yourself! Calm. Yourself!

• Adam M. Snow (7/13/2014 7:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

(I predict Carter will tell me, this is trash and will tell me to do myself a favor and to stop writing lol)

Little One
    Written by Adam M. Snow

Little one, little one, I see you there dreaming
    What do you see?What do you see within that dream of yours?
    Do you see children dying?Pointless bloodshed and infants crying?
    Little one, little one what do you see?
    Darkness over lands and bodies in the seas?
    Hungry people, starving like you and me?

Little one, little one what are you dreaming?
    Is it the future and what you'll become?
    Oh little one, don't you know, there is no future for you anymore?
    Your future is stolen by the choices of man.
    Mankind will end with you, there's nothing we could do.
    We brought this on ourselves, thinking we were gods and nothing else.

There is no future for you. Oh little one, my heart goes out to you.
    Man strived for power, the cost was lives of many; but you're too young to see.
    Too young to understand what's the price for greed.
    I envy you little one, with that little mind of yours:
    always smiling, always cheerful; without a care in the world.
    I envy you, with that little mind of yours, too young to comprehend what's going on.
    The downward spiral, the tragedies caused by man.
    The reason there is no future.

We live in a day where wars wages still and corruption is fed to the people.
    We live in a day where love has no meaning and God is no longer welcome.
    We live in a day, the Earth is crying out; the reason for all earthquakes and floods.

Oh little one, little one. There is no future for you here.
    In the next few years the Lord will return, the Son of God will come.
    You will join many of His children for a journey home,
    and that little one, your future will begin.

• Mike Acker (7/13/2014 3:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

The Two-faced Woman(as reply)

• Mike Acker (7/13/2014 3:09:00 PM) Post reply Stage

The Two-faced Woman I see a woman with two faces looking my way. I wonder what she sees of me. Can she truly see anything, this two-faced woman whose gaze wanders my way? Now and then ... more

• Gulsher John (7/13/2014 12:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

FREE VERSE, (from wikipedia)

Free verse is an open form of poetry. It does not use consistent meter patterns, rhyme, or any other musical pattern. It thus tends to follow the rhythm of natural speech.
    Poets have explained that free verse is, despite its freedom, not entirely free. Free verse displays some elements of form. Most free verse, for example, self-evidently continues to observe a convention of the poetic line in some sense, at least in written representations, though retaining a potential degree of linkage. Donald Hall goes as far as to say that " the form of free verse is as binding and as liberating as the form of a rondeau" and T. S. Eliot wrote, " No verse is free for the man who wants to do a good job" .Kenneth Allott the poet/critic said the adoption by some poets of vers libre arose from 'mere desire for novelty, the imitation of Whitman, the study of Jacobean dramatic blank verse, and the awareness of what French poets had already done to the Alexandrine in France'. The American critic John Livingston Lowes in 1916 observed 'Free verse may be written as very beautiful prose; prose may be written as very beautiful free verse. Which is which?'

Some poets have considered free verse restrictive in its own way. In 1922 Robert Bridges voiced his reservations in the essay 'Humdrum and Harum-Scarum.' Robert Frost later remarked that writing free verse was like " playing tennis without a net." William Carlos Williams said " being an art form, verse cannot be free in the sense of having no limitations or guiding principles" .[6] Yvor Winters, the poet/critic said 'the free verse that is really verse, the best that is, of W.C. Williams, H. D., Marianne Moore, Wallace Stevens, and Ezra Pound is the antithesis of free.

• Jefferson Carter (7/13/2014 10:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

" The American critic John Livingston Lowes in 1916 observed 'Free verse may be written as very beautiful prose; prose may be written as very beautiful free verse. Which is which?' " This a ... more

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel (7/11/2014 6:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Hello, my little lug nuts! Hope you're all well. Sorry, JC, about the eff word and getting censored at such an upper echelon website. I see your point and raise a big fat nothing burger.

Toodles....

Personal

By Tony Hoagland

Don’t take it personal, they said;
    but I did, I took it all quite personal—

the breeze and the river and the color of the fields;
    the price of grapefruit and stamps,

the wet hair of women in the rain—
    And I cursed what hurt me

and I praised what gave me joy,
    the most simple-minded of possible responses.

The government reminded me of my father,
    with its deafness and its laws,

and the weather reminded me of my mom,
    with her tropical squalls.

Enjoy it while you can, they said of Happiness
    Think first, they said of Talk

Get over it, they said
    at the School of Broken Hearts

but I couldn’t and I didn’t and I don’t
    believe in the clean break;

I believe in the compound fracture
    served with a sauce of dirty regret,

I believe in saying it all
    and taking it all back

and saying it again for good measure
    while the air fills up with I’m-Sorries

like wheeling birds
    and the trees look seasick in the wind.

Oh life! Can you blame me
    for making a scene?

You were that yellow caboose, the moon
    disappearing over a ridge of cloud.

I was the dog, chained in some fool’s backyard;
    barking and barking:

trying to convince everything else
    to take it personal too.

Source: Poetry (July/August 2009) .

• Gulsher John (7/11/2014 12:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Is it possible to dress the traditional IAMBIC form in the contemporary FREE verse?
    (to exclude Rhyming and maintain the iambic Rhythm)

• Jefferson Carter (7/11/2014 10:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

My July 4th poem was deleted again by management. What idiots! I used asterisks in the f-word, but that wasn't good enough. So glad they're protecting the site from bad words but allowing herds of trolls to over-run it. I'm ready to leave this place!

• James Timothy Jarrett (7/11/2014 2:31:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I have poems posted using @ in place of the U and C. Maybe it's personal

• Gulsher John (7/11/2014 12:44:00 PM) Post reply Stage

No way Mr Jc... u shouldn't and that poem was lil bit disappointing, don't know why but i miss something, though it was beautifully constructed, (when i compare it to your other works)

[Hata Bildir]