Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Freshman - 1,288 Points Mike Acker (10/9/2014 7:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Pulse as reply.....

Replies for this message:
    • Freshman - 1,288 Points Mike Acker (10/9/2014 8:25:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

pulse engines choke and churn small brown birds warble the children scream and they shout the crows scrap over happy meals neutered trees grow civilized along architectural lines st ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Freshman - 1,288 Points Mike Acker (10/9/2014 12:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

The Clowns as reply.....

• Freshman - 1,288 Points Professor Plum (10/9/2014 7:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I bet you'll stay up all night waiting for Mandolyn and " JC" to comment so you can feel good about yourself?LOL! Keep waiting for your positive reviews loser! You're a terrible poet. Wallac ... more

• Freshman - 1,288 Points Mike Acker (10/9/2014 6:26:00 PM) Post reply

You are a bit premature(maybe born that way too?) in terms of final judgement of this poem. Let's see what Mandolyn(just a bit less biased than you! ?) thinks and or JC if he feels like commenting. ... more

• Freshman - 1,288 Points Mike Acker (10/9/2014 12:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The Clowns Like a circus clown, he is grimed with chalk- white-dust. His eyes are slits through which the colors of life, those of red, yellow, green, and blue beam through. For this show he c ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Gold Star - 13,362 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (10/9/2014 10:33:00 AM) Post reply

I have just read a poem " Killing fields" written by Marilyn Shepperson. The relevance of the poem in the context of wars are highlighted and it is beautiful..

• Freshman - 1,288 Points Mike Acker (10/8/2014 6:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 8 replies

The poem below was posted innocently enough. Then, again innocently, Mandolyn expresses:

" Mandolyn... Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (10/5/2014 11: 22: 00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I must say, this is incredible.
    I stopped peeling potatoes as soon as I got to the second strophe."

Then Tony Miller(Lamont Palmer) , whose approval Mandolyn did not seek first, expresses:

Tony Miller Rookie - 1st Stage (10/6/2014 3: 46: 00 PM) Post reply

Its far from 'incredible' to me. the last 3 stanzas are silly and puerile

Judge for yourself. I would love to hear Mr. Carter's opinion.
    without any further ado....

Coiling Cobras

Start at the bottom of the empty holds
    of rusting tankers. Turn over fallen,
    cherry blossom petals. Check just above

the tip of a coiling cobra's fang. Try
    the crunchy taste of limber larvae, fresh
    in their honeycombs. Look a bit past

the death of a wounded soldier. Sense it
    in the flight of spring birds going nowhere,
    on Sunday mornings. Climb atop fallen

mountains for those grand, past views. Listen
    to the silent sound of a setting sun.
    Crawl in with hermit crabs, like you belong.

Live a lifetime in the shadows of silver-
    tarnished, billowing, cotton clouds. Feel for it
    just below the neck scales of an alligator,

skimming the glassen surface. Didn't you just
    see it, in the corner of the eye of the
    smiling Jehovah's Witness?

And, if all else fails, kiss, greedily,
    the full lips of a quiet woman.

Do come see me when you're done. I'll be
    at the far end of the bar,
    at the 'Last Hope Saloon'........

Mike Acker

To read all of 8 replies click here
  • Rookie - 431 Points Adam M. Snow (10/8/2014 4:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Well, I just got an email from Poemhunter. They removed one of my forum post after explaining to me that it was deemed offensive and hostile. This is that post.

" There's nothing wrong with having faith and believing in God and there's nothing childish about it, it just shows that I'm human and that I have freewill to believe in what I want to believe and who I want to believe in. There's nothing immature about it. What's immature is telling someone to grow up or pretty much telling them to give up on their faith. You said, " Do you see him when children are raped and beheaded?" God gave man freewill, but man has chosen to abuse it. God gave man freewill so they can choose for themselves to call on God with true feelings. So when a child is raped or beheaded, it's because man has chosen to do so out of freewill. So God isn't to blame, but man. God didn't force man to do harm to children, man knew exactly what they were doing. And about the blacks suffering in Africa. Did you know that there are over 5000 Christian organizations that are designed to help with people all around the world. They help bring clothes to the clothesless, they bring food to the hungry. There's organizations that are building homes for the homeless all around the world. God is answering people's prayers through those organizations. But most of these organizations are made up donations only. You see, we (man) has spent trillions of dollars all on war on both sides. The money used for war is more than enough to stop world hunger, but man has chosen to use that money for bloodshed. Again freewill. Man choose to waste away money on bloodshed then to help those in need. God is not to blame, but man. Man is who is destroying this world, not God. Yet man keeps blaming God for everything. The truth is, the fault is on us, man."

Do you find anything offensive or hostile in this post?

• Rookie - 431 Points Gulsher John (10/8/2014 9:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Oh Mr Adam, grow up, what you've phrased is nothing but all your fancies.It's full of contradictions, if god is such (as u said) , then he is just a spectator in this cosmic play, then what is his or ... more

• Rookie - 431 Points Mike Acker (10/8/2014 5:29:00 PM) Post reply

I am the kind of person who may disagree with you about belief in god, but would always do all I can to help you get to your place of worship, even if I had to carry you there myself. I believe fully ... more

• Rookie - 431 Points John Westlake (10/8/2014 4:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Nothing at all.

• Rookie - 136 Points Professor Plum (10/8/2014 3:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Thank you all for your very warm welcome.

We are working together with the " FPI" to help stop what is referred to as the forum mafia. Second rate, failed poets tend to inhabit poetry forums, that they slowly and in calculating ways cultivate into their own mafia domains. These forum rooms, or dens as they are sometimes called become like a private residence to some of these criminal-types.

One will usually rise to the top as their leader. He will be referred to as the Big Bird, The Mule or due to his habit of cutting off ears of subjects he writes poetry for, Driver of Ears from city city.

There will also be the cheap dame in the mix. Often this role is filled by a failed stripper, usually from the southern parts of the US and in particular the south west. Boasting a good education along with future plans to complete a degree in some exotic field such as Industrial Exploitative Psycho-Analysis and or other mumbo jumbo fields. Due to her background as a daughter of a physically and sexually abusive father, she will find herself forever baiting and then biting(bait then bite syndrome) men she see as the father she was never able to stand up to, hence the name " female bitch" or " streaker" commonly used to describe her. She will go so far as streak during major events only to turn around and with her team of " ex- ambulance chaser" lawyers, sue each individual spectator for indecent viewing. Some balls, huh? These cases often come to an immediate halt once the judges have seen her physically.

Hanging around the Big Bird and the failed stripper will be the usual effeminate characters who will refer to themselves as the village moron, class clown with such names as Professor Plum, Doggy Dog, DashDoggone, Sean North and of course Sean South, etc.

Oftentimes these poetry forum mafiosos will claim to have a faith of some kind like all being born-again christians. The easy test is usually to read their poetry. Lacking in originality, they will attempt to duplicate the works of Auden and the rest of the so-called classical poets to achieve an air of respectability so as not to be exposed for what they really are: pathetic, failed poets. Of course, although I profess to be of no faith, in other words a true humanist, I want nothing more than to save their soul for no particular reason.

We will keep you informed of any progress made. Keep in mind that they will attempt to silence anyone helping with this investigation bu threatening them with isolation or what is referred to in high school circles ad " giving the cold shoulder" . If you have any information that may assist us in locating and prosecuting these villains, please contact Professor Dum through the private messaging feature at this site.

• Rookie - 136 Points Mike Acker (10/9/2014 10:00:00 PM) Post reply

I think Plum, the real Plum(above) is very funny. Talk about a great sense of humor!

• Rookie - 136 Points Professor Plum (10/9/2014 3:45:00 PM) Post reply

Not me people. Acker's at it again. Just check out my comments, they go back years. This other clown has 2 pages. I thought Acker had grown up, but he's still the child he's always been.

• Rookie - 136 Points Gulsher John (10/8/2014 9:27:00 PM) Post reply

hahaha Professor You've already done the business, disclosed everything, their hideouts, plans, motives etc, you'r Sherlock Holme. geez...

• Rookie - 136 Points Professor Plum (10/8/2014 9:02:00 PM) Post reply

Yes, please call on me too. I'm willing ... more

• Rookie - 136 Points Mike Acker (10/8/2014 6:18:00 PM) Post reply

Wow, that sounds serious. I would like ... more

• Rookie - 592 Points Jefferson Carter (10/8/2014 11:17:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A couple of points: Lamont, you mule, drop the Tony Miller persona. it's not helpful. You're also being a hypocrite and liar, saying you don't use pseudonyms.

Here's John Westlake: " If people do not write they will not get better. That is why they came here, to become better writers. You and you friend acker spouting acid into their beliefs are not helping. If anything you are causing depression to some. Your rubbish does not work on me though. Your clear attacks on me merely show stupidity. Practice what you preach and maybe, just maybe you will get respect."

John, you silly-billy, our bad poets will never improve by writing the same swill over and over again. They MIGHT improve if they stopped writing and started reading the best contemporary poets, maybe take a poetry writing class or join a community workshop, you know, work HARD at improving. The main issue is they don't want criticism of any kind, harsh or gentle. They want praise, nothing more.

I don't feel I'm attacking you. I'm only saying you're enabling our bad poets to keep writing bad poetry. Practice what I preach?I do, I work hard on my own poetry. I appreciate thoughtful, even harsh critiques. And as far as respect goes, the only respect I care about is from people I respect.

• Rookie - 592 Points John Westlake (10/8/2014 5:40:00 PM) Post reply

Fair enough. Just to confirm what you may already know, I am me and me alone. I have never tried to do personae and will not start now. It's not my way. I am Profanisaurus and I will probably alwa ... more

• Rookie - 356 Points delilah contrapunctal (10/7/2014 9:48:00 PM) Post reply

having just re-read Eliot's Burnt Norton I am delighted with his use of language and clarity of thought....music indeed, to me....

• Freshman - 1,288 Points Mike Acker (10/7/2014 9:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

JC, I wecommend you throw Westlake onto the fwoow

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Rookie - 592 Points Jefferson Carter (10/7/2014 4:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

John Westlake, re: your comments below, there is nothing slanderous about giving an educated opinion about bad poetry. And why would I have to be " brave" to tell you, face-to-face, what I think about you? Are you going to hurt me with your mean words?

You are an enabler, encouraging awful poets to keep cranking out awful poems. You should be ashamed of yourself. You should be encouraging these word-wankers to stop writing and to start reading and studying, working hard to improve. Someone has to.

" Mr Carter Please stay your slanderous hands. I believe you are being most unfair. Whatever problem you have with me should not be displayed here. If you're not brave enough to say it face to, then keep it to yourself."

• Rookie - 592 Points Jacqueline Nash (10/8/2014 8:38:00 AM) Post reply

The problem is, if people only leave positive comments on what are obviously really awful poems, how are the writers of those poems going to learn anything. They will just continue to write badly.

• Rookie - 592 Points Professor Plum (10/8/2014 12:18:00 AM) Post reply

lets all pray for his soul- you and i and prof plum and monty the mule and sherrie

• Rookie - 592 Points John Westlake (10/7/2014 11:37:00 PM) Post reply

If people do not write they will not get better. That is why they came here, to become better writers. You and you friend acker spouting acid into their beliefs are not helping. If anything you are ... more

• Rookie - 592 Points John Westlake (10/7/2014 10:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Educated opinion?? Let me know when you ... more

[Hata Bildir]