Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Mary Nagy (1/30/2006 7:00:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Herbert, do you think you would accept getting 1 star? (I don't think you'd be loving that system if you started getting 1 star placed on your poems) I think if there is any type of rating like that there are bound to be some people that are not happy with what they get. Other websites have similar voting systems and the only way to avoid this problem is making the vote have a name.......because we have to be able to receive the lowest score possible with dignity. If we will only be happy with the highest mark (or at least one of the top 3 or so) ......nothing will work. I say just make the voter accountable for their vote and be done with it. That's just my opinion. With an open forum like this.......everyone should expect to get the lowest as well as the highest vote from time to time, don't you think?

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/30/2006 6:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Methinks we need between 50 and 100 members to sign and send this 'petition' to management.
    Either to adopt the star system or similar, as recommended by Anthony or something better if it exists. In any case, the numbers can be eliminated and ought to be.
    If we get a large number of signatures they may well listen.
    What do you senisitive souls think?
    Best wishes
    H

• Rookie Anthony Dalby (1/30/2006 7:29:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks Herbert. I have forwarded my suggestion to Admin. Personally I don't mind about the rating system, I do mind about people being hurt by it, irrespective of what value I place on their poetry. ... more

• Rookie Henry Phillips (1/30/2006 6:34:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

To be honest, i don't see why so many of you care about the ratings. Taste, as we have been discussing, is apparently subjective. However, i am going to break a habit and venture someting constructive. Instead of being shown an average score of all reviews can we not just see how many people voted '1', how many voted '2' etc etc? Click on a link saying 'ratings' at it'll show, for example, 'x number of people rated this poem as 10', 'x number rated it as 9' etc etc. Alternatively, adopt an amazon-style reviewing system?

• Rookie Richard George (1/31/2006 5:33:00 AM) Post reply

I keep a record of this anyway - e.g. one of mine, average 5.5, has had three 1s and three 10s. And if 1s are suspect...

• Rookie Rich Hanson (1/30/2006 6:31:00 AM) Post reply

I'd recommend, for your perusal, the article 'Poetry soon to be as Popular as Morris Dancing' that's posted in the PH site news items. It's an article bemoaning the lack of interest in poetry in England.
    It ties into what we've talked of lately. Poetry has become almost the exclusive property of academics. They award the honors and they invite each other to teach guest workshops and read at the universities. It's almost an incestuous relationsship as they stroke each other. That's why Ted Kooser has met some criticism. He's attemptng to bring poetry back to the people, saying,
    'see, there's no need to feel intimidated by this art form.' He's having an impact too. I never thought that I'd see 230 people show up at a poetry reading in Burlington, IA. The popularity of this site too, attests to people's need for and interest in poetry. Sure, we're not polished poets. That doesn't mean that we can't strive to improve our work or appreciate those who are.
    I'm a Harry Chapin fan, and I was fortunate to hear him in concert on three different occasions. I liken myself, and many of us to his 'Mr Tanner, ' a competent singer who enjoyed his gift. His friends urged him to take it to the city and make a career out of it.
    At one point, during the concert, he thinks 'He could not tell how good he sang, he only heard the flaws.'
    Realistically. We all know our weaknesses. That doesn't mean that we can't share or work and aspire to improve it. To those of you savaged by the '1' children. Don't let them make you hide your gift, as the critics do to 'Mr Tanner.' Then they've won. Michael, Ulrike, Herbert, everyone... your friends and readers on this site fare outnumber a petulant couple of individuals. Ignore them.
    If you can find the lyrics somewhere (they're not posted on PH) try to find 'Mr Tanner' by Harry Chapin. You'll enjoy it. I also recommend his 'Taxi'' 'A Better Place to Be' and 'Cat's in the Cradle.'

• Rookie Joy Vanderhelm (1/30/2006 5:18:00 AM) Post reply

I would also like to add that I just posted a few poems in the last few days that I am quite proud of including one this morning. I have accquired a habit of sleeping for enormous amounts of time lately due to illness among other things and was half dreaming this poem up. I actually forced my way out of bed in order to write it. Anyway, 'make love not processed food.' Found that on the underside of a beer cap. Had a few too many last night, head hurts must go to work now, bye all till later.

• Rookie Joy Vanderhelm (1/30/2006 5:13:00 AM) Post reply

While I try very hard to keep my head down in this place because so many of you have teeth that shame dinosaurs, I'm also very tired of being oned. I understand, from the comments, that there are quite a few who enjoy or gain something from my poetry. That's part of the reason I write for, as well as the drive to get the thoughts out of my head and on paper. I dislike that those who rate don't leave any reason behind it. I realize there's probably no easy solution since the administration here has opted to forgo using the suggestions others here have given. I have stopped rating anyone elses poetry because I feel I can better get across how I feel about the poem in the comment. If I feel it has been mind-boggling in its talent, then I let the writer know that it deserves a really high mark. I just hope that anyone new to the site doesn't go by the ratings when looking for poetry to read. There are many here I consider worth reading that also seem to be visited by the dreaded one fairy on a regular basis.

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (1/30/2006 5:07:00 AM) Post reply

I would ask two things of you dear people here:

Don't leave this site. We are in an era where eternally irresponsible children have a new toy, the internet, where they're ahead of adults in technological skills, and they can if they're so stupid, mess it up, WITHIN LIMITS. They're always going to test their skills on any security barriers - though Poemhunter is less fun than the Pentagon surely...so just pay them no attention(I can talk!) . And delet their comments. No-one believes them but themselves. At least they have to read our poems to make negative comments on them! I'm an aggressive person, and this goes against the grain, but there it is. Let's not take this too seriously. It's only an adolescent minority, not the Pulitzer assessment panel or Simon & Schuster.

The other point is, what gets written on this site goes through an IT identification and therefore in theory, 'multiple identities' should be identifiable. We should press PH mgt on this.

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (1/30/2006 3:57:00 AM) Post reply

you want to read a bit of dunny can humour all the way from britain well why
    dont you read(firozo shakir) the new age poet

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (1/30/2006 3:42:00 AM) Post reply

the suicide squad are back writing on this morbid subject again, so help me god they are blaming a member of the forum guess who, the member wrote a poem about suicide making fun of it is there any fun in suicide or talking about it you cant make a living out of it i felt good start to read a few poems looking for some comic relief from the real world along comes morbid betty and
    minasota slim in her defence i feel like a bad boy now

• Rookie Rich Hanson (1/29/2006 5:06:00 PM) Post reply

I wonder if Edna Sweetlove and Bob Gotti have read each other's poetry yet?
    You talk about two diametrically opposed world views.

[Hata Bildir]