Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Francis Lynch (6/25/2014 12:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hello Poets: Question: Is anyone else finding their poetry from PoemHunter being attached to commercials for alcohol like Coors Beer?I've seen several of mine out there and wondering what's going on. I've written to PoemHunter, but they haven't answered yet.

Replies for this message:
    • Leorne Adile (6/26/2014 2:06:00 AM) Post reply Stage

do you mean being attached to commercials from other sites?if so then I find it out of order.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/25/2014 10:39:00 AM) Post reply Stage

The Poem hunter com gives an opportunity to have such wide reading of poems throughout the world and it has an opportunity of connectivity of thinking minds and I feel it very happy opportunity.

• Gulsher John (6/25/2014 4:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Beginning My Studies
    by Walt Whitman

Beginning my studies the first step pleas'd me so much,
    The mere fact consciousness, these forms, the power of motion,
    The least insect or animal, the senses, eyesight, love,
    The first step I say awed me and pleas'd me so much,
    I have hardly gone and hardly wish'd to go any farther,
    But stop and loiter all the time to sing it in ecstatic songs.

• Gulsher John (6/25/2014 4:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

How can i satiate my empty brain, (like a starved stomach, hollow and acidic) seek to comprehend the 'LETTERS: Creation, Inspiration, and Imitation. where dose Art go? See, my frozen pen in ... more

• Jefferson Carter (6/24/2014 9:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Lamont (Alexander) , you have me at a disadvantage. I like plain style free verse. You like a more florid kind of free verse. I don't think I can find among the post-1990 poems I like one that will display that heavily iambic rhythm you're babbling about. I'll keep trying. Kinnell's poem is different from a Buk poem (though I'm going to look for a Buk work that's strongly iambic) in its use of vividly sensual imagery, extravagant diction, and gorgeous figures of speech. The plain style isn't so much about rhythm as it is about diction. While you're waiting for me to find a great post 1990 free verse poem, why don't you " scan" " Sow" and show me, by marking unstressed and stressed syllables, where all that supposed iambic rhythm occurs. That's my challenge to you.

• Mike Acker (6/24/2014 5:32:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Precarious(revised)

You'll find him at the edge of his abyss.
    Close by, she waves and smiles
    through her darkness. The mangled feet
    struggle to keep her tiny head afloat.
    The smiles relay the tales and torments.
    The eyes, are mute reflections of the other.

Silent swells sync souls but hide the faces,
    but there is a forever, and they reappear,
    no more and no less than before.
    Mermaids no longer roam,
    as men no longer soar.
    Sink, and fall, they shall.

Mike Acker

• Jefferson Carter (6/24/2014 1:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

My last message to Lamont was deleted, probably because I used the f-word (with asterisks) . I'll re-state. When Lamont burbles on about the strong iambic rhythm of " St. Francis, " I just want to scream! ! ! English is a strongly iambic language, so whether one is writing free or formal verse, there are bound to be iambic rhythms. The point is Kinnell's poem is not METERED! ! There is no recurring pattern of number or kinds of feet. LAMONT, ANY poem in English will employ iambic rhythms. Jezus, I get tired of hitting you over the head with the obvious.

• Alexander Rizzo (6/24/2014 4:44:00 PM) Post reply Stage

hey post something by Sharon olds - that's like shelley

• Lamont Palmer (6/24/2014 3:27:00 PM) Post reply Stage

JC, some poems have a STRONGER iambic rhythm than others, despite the natural rhythms of speech. Now you're just sounding silly. 'Sow' does NOT read like Buk's usual fare, or Merrill's free verse, to ... more

• Paul Butters (6/24/2014 7:49:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Suggestion: I think Poemhunter should provide us with a private list of our poems here with ongoing Total Views, like on some other sites. The current stats say very little to me. Our " League Tables" (Promotion section) are fun but not enough. Our stats are TOO detailed over a very brief time-period. And why do the league tables show much lower views in recent years overall?Why the view drought?

• Paul Butters (6/24/2014 4:50:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Must admit, this forum has affected me -

" For Myself"

When writing poems there is no right or wrong.
    It may be plain or sound just like a song.
    Heroic couplets aren’t the only way.
    Yet people always have to have their say.

It may be perfect, it may be not.
    Just lose a syllable
    Or go completely
    Free.

Read unnamed samples of some classic works and you will see
    That often you can add the names yourself.
    They are distinctive.

A Shakespeare,
    A Keats,
    A Milton
    Or a Yeats.

What matters is whether a poem works,
    In some way,
    At least for yourself.

PB

• Jefferson Carter (6/23/2014 3:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Lamont, why before 1990?There's no shelf date for good contemporary free verse. If the poet is still alive and writes free verse, his/her poem should be a candidate for the challenge. You just don't like the plain style, no matter which decade it appears. But I'll accept the challenge and look through some of my favorite free verse poems written after 1990. I'll get back to you and the other Stiffs.

• Jefferson Carter (6/23/2014 2:14:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Even Lamont (well, maybe) can see how Kinnell's vivid images, surprising and profound figures of speech, short and long lines, heighten his poem's language without
    needing to resort to meter or rhyme. Truly, if this poem doesn't affect you, visit Poe's mausoleum and inter yourself there. You're already dead.

[Hata Bildir]