Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Chris Masters (11/28/2005 2:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

whats wright talking about. I'm so bad at this! ! ! !

A Blessing

Just off the highway to Rochester, Minnesota,
    Twilight bounds softly forth on the grass.
    And the eyes of those two Indian ponies
    Darken with kindness.
    They have come gladly out of the willows
    To welcome my friend and me.
    We step over the barbed wire into the pasture
    Where they have been grazing all day, alone.
    They ripple tensely, they can hardly contain their happiness
    That we have come.
    They bow shyly as wet swans. They love each other.
    There is no loneliness like theirs.
    At home once more, they begin munching the young tufts of spring in the darkness.
    I would like to hold the slenderer one in my arms,
    For she has walked over to me
    And nuzzled my left hand.
    She is black and white,
    Her mane falls wild on her forehead,
    And the light breeze moves me to caress her long ear
    That is delicate as the skin over a girl's wrist.
    Suddenly I realize
    That if I stepped out of my body I would break
    Into blossom.

James Wright

Replies for this message:
    • Richard George (11/29/2005 5:19:00 AM) Post reply

This is so simple (IMHO) - it's about the sense of spiritual exaltation in communing with another species, beautiful, innocent and wild.

• Joy Vanderhelm (11/28/2005 4:22:00 PM) Post reply

J.C. is right, Chris. If you just break it into lines, and then figure out the meaning of each line the poem will begin to take a different shape in your mind. And, don't worry most poetry is open to ... more

• Chris Masters (11/28/2005 1:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I need to figure out what the these poems are about.
    kitchenette building - gwendolyn brooks
    A Blessing - james wright
    The Night House - billy collins
    and
    Summer Night - joy harjo
    I'm trying to figure out the Style, symbols, and theme of the poems.
    If anyone who has any comments I wouldbe forever greatful.
    Thanks Chris M

• Poetry Hound (11/28/2005 2:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Chris, why don't you explain what YOU think they mean first? Otherwise, it looks like you're asking others to do your homework for you. I don't know that you have homework at age 25, but who knows.

• allan james saywell (11/28/2005 1:35:00 PM) Post reply

i'm giving serious thought to reposting all my poems because i think you
    misunderstood my first post in the second posting's i want to be more violent
    to catch up with the modern world, last night i watched a programme concerning
    the French revolution and a pack of women called the 'fish ladies of the french revolution' could be we have a few decendants of those women running around poem hunter masquading as poets

• Joseph Daly (11/28/2005 1:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Any more tributes to George Best out there? I only know of two and one of them's mine. Hey, in case you folk in the USA are wondering who I'm talking about, just think Joe de Maggio or Babe Ruth.

• Richard George (11/29/2005 5:22:00 AM) Post reply

My mother was talking to me while I was watching one of the tributes to Best on Saturday. I wasn't listening to her - I wasn't trying to be rude. I was hypnotised by his ball-skill like a rabbit by a ... more

• Declan McHenry (11/28/2005 3:56:00 PM) Post reply

The thought very briefly crossed my mind but was dropped on two counts. First, there aren't that many words that rhyme with 'pickled' and, second, I'd already used the overused 'poetry in motion' in a ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/28/2005 1:23:00 PM) Post reply

didn't he have a drinking problem that stuffed his life and ruined everyone around him, sporting gods die quickly

• Mary Nagy (11/28/2005 6:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well.......if I may mention actual poetry and something productive today! Has anyone heard whether the book arrived to Lori and what her thoughts were? When it should be ready for us to order? I hope before christmas. Sincerely, Mary

• Lori Boulard (11/28/2005 11:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hi Mary. I run to the mailbox everyday, and just like in my poem 'Life Outside the Box' I am disappointed, so far. Maybe today will be the lucky day...I don't expect big problems, so hopefully it wi ... more

• Michael Philips (11/28/2005 6:21:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

On the subject of poetry, I wonder if people would mind reading and critiquing/commenting on a poem I just posted called 'No Hands Restaurant, Hanoi.' It's a work in progress and I have already received some excellent advice from Jefferson Carter. Thanks very much in advance (It's kind of long - sorry) .

• Michael Shepherd (11/28/2005 7:06:00 AM) Post reply

Was Jane Fonda staying there at the same time? I hope so, if you're going to continue the story... Hey, read it, everybody! It's serious fun!

• Michael Shepherd (11/28/2005 4:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I offer three suggestions for the benefit of the Forum and its members:

1 Ignore all unpleasant remarks from others, and also unpleasant remarks about others;

2 If you think the Forum is boring, then make a useful contribution;

3 Read the description of the purpose of this 'Poetics and Poetry Discussion' as written above and follow it.

• Jerry Hughes (11/28/2005 1:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Movers, thinkers and shakers, I believe we've reached a crisis when writers of the caliber of Mahnaz, remove their work from the site. To be replaced by the irrational ramblings of heroin warped minds?

If this what the people behind Poemhunter really want, they're welcome. But they should name change the site to, Drug-Found. Makes consummate sense.

• Joseph Daly (11/28/2005 4:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

This is a tragic situation and one that I am shocked at. I was in touch with Mahnaz and got the strong impression that she was not going to move from the site. I hope she reconsiders as her work i ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/28/2005 1:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Regardless of what anyone may think about this, it would be far better for P/H to have Mahnaz come back and stay. The more good people we have here the better the site and the more enjoyment in the en ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/27/2005 11:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

now have a look at breaker morant a poet who resided in Australia he was a horsebreaker by trade and a british fellow born in britain but adopted by Australians as one of them they court martialed him and had him shot for
    doing what soldiers do best kill the enemy they passed the buck the people at the top of the tree passed the buck down to breaker morant who they shot
    he was only obeying orders the movie is worth seeing he was a charactor
    i always think of him as Australian a man of courage, not a man of straw

• Michael Shepherd (11/28/2005 4:56:00 AM) Post reply

Allan, why not select one of Morant's poems which you admire so that we can discuss it on this forum?

• Joseph Daly (11/28/2005 4:42:00 AM) Post reply

Saw the film, knew of Breaker and agree with you entirely Allan.

• Jerry Hughes (11/27/2005 11:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Mahnaz, don't let that piece of garbage calling itself True American drive you away. He, she, or more likely it is a coward, who doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to name itself, other than with a bullshit pseudonym. In fact I stepped onto something on a pavement today, that looked and smelled exactly like this True American thing would. Keep smiling kiddo. Love, Jerry

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/28/2005 1:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I second the motion Jerry. Unfortunately, I know so little about computers that I can't even follow this ISP baloney. All I know is that I saw the entity (to use a neutral word) AND Mahnaz on the ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/27/2005 11:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Good on you gerry for supporting her she needs a little support we should rally behind her hell if england can shoot up on site with that coats and all there bullshit crikie i didn't even read it the ... more

[Hata Bildir]