Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Ben Cassel (12/10/2005 2:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I've rotated poems and have posted two that haven't been up for a while: 'Fire in a Doll's House' and 'From the Hunter's Trap the Coyote.' I welcome comments and suggestions.

Replies for this message:
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/10/2005 1:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Dear Santa: Would all poets who spell definitely definately please spell it definitely instead of definately. Definitely.
    If you don't listen I shall spell elf elv or even elvis.
    Thank you.
    A good boy

• allan james saywell (12/9/2005 11:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

england has gone to bed everybody, a robert fixit is doing a translation of my poem 'sex sex sex' into Italian he is going to post it on the forum where i will talk about it well i hope he will put it here, i hope he is not all gas and gaitors

• ***** ***** (12/10/2005 1:39:00 PM) Post reply Stage

You must confuse yourself with all the alias pages you have open at any one time.

• allan james saywell (12/9/2005 9:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

i'm looking for a poem in the poem the english have taken over the american
    continent invaded there country so the yanks put on a revolution and win there
    indapendance does anyone know the poet who wrote it, surely he wasn't english or Irish or scottish

• Joseph Daly (12/11/2005 9:25:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I doubt if English was his first language judging by the pronunciation and spelling mistakes

• Michael Voorhis (12/9/2005 8:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Just recently, Ive started to read some things by Aliester Crowley. I havent a clue where to start and am asking for recomendations on some things to read.

• Declan McHenry (12/10/2005 1:17:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Crowley? Why Crowley for heaven's sake? Get out more. If you can't then try some Edgar Allan Poe, Thomas Stearns Eliot, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Paul Verlaine or Charles Baudelaire. These have been stalw ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Amberlee Spurling (12/9/2005 8:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Ok people, so we all have problems in our countries. But now adays we really have to know who and what were dealing with. Or minds are so caked up with lies, and oh this country did this and oh someones country did that. I mean the effect can be over whelming. America is not perfect neither is anyother country in the world. Some better at 'certain' things, yes, but mostly we dont need perfection to set anything straight. we have ourselfs and we have or rights to say as we wish...But let me tell you now, im proud to be an american, im proud to have been born in a nation that 'does' make mistakes, just like everyone else..im proud to know that my family long long ago...died risking everything in their life to get out of your countries and to live in america..why? to be free. to live better...to reach there dreams..that they couldnt get from their countries...im proud to know..that i 'do' live in the land of the free and the home of the brave..you can say all you want to...and upsize me or what not...but that will never swipe the smile i have on my face..loyal..but truthful..

• Mary Nagy (12/9/2005 9:40:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well, Amberlee............you've said it! I loved your poem and I read it to my kids and they all loved it too (Yes, they ''got it'') My oldest is your age and she thought it was great....and said ... more

• allan james saywell (12/9/2005 9:31:00 PM) Post reply Stage

get the flag out and keep it out girl dont listen to any left wing bullshit you back your country you be proud of your country dont let them get to you

• ***** ***** (12/9/2005 6:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

Allan, you have used this ooohhhhh yeahhhhhh alias to be Liam, Terry ist, orgy asm, Nigel, Poetry Blob/the blob -

It is a little sad that you must busy yourself up with the silly alias game. I wonder if you think people don´t know who it is. Your messages are just that little bit transparent.

Things getting lonely over there?

• ***** ***** (12/10/2005 1:16:00 PM) Post reply Stage

because it can (and has so many times) get nasty and offensive... there is a fine line to cross before his ´personalities´as you call them move into insult and I am entitled to find such childish beh ... more

• Mary Nagy (12/9/2005 9:51:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I think Allan and all his ''personalities'' here are rather amusing. What's wrong with him having a little fun and livening things up here? As long as he's not being rude and insulting (?) I don't ... more

• allan james saywell (12/9/2005 9:17:00 PM) Post reply Stage

yes but my little Irish trick but i do have a life ohhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhh

• allan james saywell (12/9/2005 5:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

some poetry i'v enjoyed here on this site---

• Poetry Hound (12/9/2005 7:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Allan, I think I remember you from my 4th grade class. You were that kid sitting at the back of the room that tried to make other kids laugh by making farting noises while the teacher's back was turne ... more

• Jerry Hughes (12/9/2005 3:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Dear detractors, I made an understandably simple spelling error in the previous posting of this poem. Being a dyslexic pedant I had to change it, also add a couple of inverteds on Michael's advice. The point I made earlier is, this humble effort may be likened to a third, or fourth cousin of Harold Pinter's.
    It's my protest against the murder of Iraqi civilians, many of them women and children, and at last count in excess of 100,000.

AFTER THE FIRST DEATH*

Amidst the rubble and confusion
    a child's hand, clutching a toy.

Near by

The hand's arm twisted grotesquely
    around a young dead woman.

Was it the hand's mother
    to which the infant body clung?

Sans hands, sans eyes, sans....

You did your job 'smart' bomb, but,
    'after the first death, there is no other.'

*The last line of Dylan Thomas' poem,
    A Refusal to Mourn the Death, by fire,
    of a Child in London.

• Michael Shepherd (12/9/2005 4:19:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Did I say how succinctly effective I thought it, Jerry? Indeed, I could argue that poetically, it's better than Pinter's...but I'd love to hear him read aloud yours, in his dry, ejected way.. it would ... more

• Poetry Hound (12/9/2005 3:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

R.I.P. the Routemaster

• Michael Shepherd (12/9/2005 4:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I had a fantasy to buy one and loan it out. They're quite cheap, restored and going for a song - I think £8,000 or $/€ for the restored and $/€ 30,000 for the newer. Any annual event with garage space ... more

[Hata Bildir]