Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Ben Cassel (1/15/2006 8:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

'Last time I went down South, I walked into a restaurant and this waitress came up to me and said, 'We don't serve colored people here.' I said, 'That's all right. I don't eat colored people; bring me a whole fried chicken.' Then these three white boys came up to me and said, 'Boy, we're giving you fair warnin': anything you do to that chicken, we're going to do to you. So I put down my knife and fork, I picked up that chicken and I kissed it. Then I said, 'Line up, boys! '' (Dick Gregory,1966)

It is tempting when comparing the nation's founders and its present 'leaders', to conclude, as Mort Sahl did, that 'Darwin was wrong.' But in this century, this country produced a monumental world hero, the youngest person ever to win a Nobel Peace Prize, and certainly this century's greatest activist for the rights of all men and women. We celebrate his birth tomorrow.

'No legislation can make a man love me. But it can punish him for lynching me and that's a fine beginning.' (The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.1929-1968)

I don't know if PH has a copy of 'I have a dream'. I have seen it rendered into free verse with excellent line integrity, but it is best to hear the man's voice. If you have never seen video of the speech, I urge you to do so; it is powerful and life-affirming.

Peace to you all on this sacred day.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Lori Boulard (1/16/2006 7:53:00 AM) Post reply

wonderful post, Ben, thanks for that!

• Rookie Jerry Hughes (1/15/2006 11:26:00 PM) Post reply

Ben, thank you for reminding me of the anecdotal Dick Gregory. He was a very funny serious comic. Cheers, Jerry

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (1/15/2006 8:54:00 PM) Post reply

i saw a programme on the history channel where over a million white people were kidnapped and sold as slaves a lot of the people were irish and people from all over britain some were never found agai ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (1/15/2006 8:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

My friend Andy Quinones has posted a recording of my poem, 'Love Letters in a Vault', complete with edgy background music by a third artist, at
    www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp? songs=375185&T=6161. It's the poem on top.
    Now, if I'd given Andy a list of even 50 of my works to record, this one would not have been on it. But it's so cool to hear it! It's so cool to have put it out here, to have it out of my hands, and see what 'the Universe' has done with it! (Andy had carte blanche with anything of mine, I just usually feel people will be interested in my 'brightly visionary' pieces. But I see the value in this one too, which is a look into the dark crevasses of a mind.)

• Rookie - 7 Points Michael Voorhis (1/16/2006 10:12:00 AM) Post reply

The background and voice of the person saying it made it seem so...weird. But not really in a good way. I love the actual poem, but it seems to me like the music kind of took the dignity or prestige f ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (1/16/2006 7:40:00 AM) Post reply

Easier, go to www.acidplanet.com and SEARCH for 'rhemasonador'.

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (1/15/2006 6:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

when we pick a title of a poem we should spend a lot of time thinking about i know i do, i mull it over spin it around in my head laugh and giggle i become quite gay about the poem title

• Rookie ***** ***** (1/15/2006 8:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

As for 'Gay John Newton'.. Allan, are you one step away from cutting your ear off? Do you howl in the faint moonlight as you rend your heart to find titles? Please... tell us from what pool of genius ... more

• Rookie ***** ***** (1/15/2006 7:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I can see how one would be tortured in coming up with a gem like 'Boo Hoo Hoo Kangaroo'.

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (1/15/2006 5:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

well poetry hound this young man sounds like he could be from yorkshire or he
    could drink the same water the thing that gets me is it is highly unusual for a thick skin such as yourself to become ruffled by some brain drain hippy from cuba who is in love with a female poet we all fall in love with female poets
    it is our right as male poets to do so and i amm extremely upset that in all
    the years that i have been at poem hunter you have never once called me an amature and i should be up for it as i make no money writing poetry

• Rookie ***** ***** (1/15/2006 7:52:00 PM) Post reply

Allan I will duly respond.. you are a consummate amateur. Happy to oblige.

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (1/15/2006 4:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Want to hear something strange? The other day, out of the blue, a poemhunter member named “Paul the Lion” sent me an angry message complaining that I had called a female poet here an “amateur.” He signed his message, “Disrespect intended.” I’d never talked to this guy before. I responded that I couldn’t recall leaving that comment but that in any event, I’m sure I didn’t use “amateur” in a derogatory fashion, but rather as shorthand for describing poets who aren’t widely recognized in literary circles. I asked him who this woman was. He responded if I thought I could get her name out of him, I would die trying. He also said he was in love with this woman and they are lovers. Then he started throwing insults at me. I’m thinking, who is this guy? What did I say to get him so riled up?

So I checked his Comments on Poems and Poets and it turns out he has left a bunch of fawning raves of Amberlee Carter, someone whose poetry I like. So I checked and found that I did indeed refer to Amberlee as an amateur in a comment that said, “I don’t normally download poems by amateurs, but this one is terrific.” Basically a compliment, right? Now the bizarre thing is that I left that comment TEN MONTHS AGO. So Paul the Lion is upset with a comment I left last March! I’m thinking, is this a joke or what?

It gets better. Yesterday, I emailed Amberlee and told her that someone claiming to be her boyfriend was upset with me calling her an amateur and that I wonder why he’s so hostile. I also said I didn’t mean to use “amateur” in a derogatory way. Amberlee responded that she thought she might remember my 10-month old comment, but that in any event she didn’t take it as an insult but as a compliment. And get this: She said she only knows who Paul the Lion is because she just recently started reading his work, but he’s NOT her boyfriend or lover. Pretty bizarre, imho. I still don’t know what flipped him out.

If you’re interested, go check out Paul the Lion’s poetry. He’s sort of a beatnik/hippie wannabe.

• Rookie Graham Leese (1/15/2006 4:13:00 PM) Post reply

Would be greatful if anyone could offer advice on how to improve my poem 'promising future slit'...first thing to go is the title...
    Thanks in advance

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (1/15/2006 4:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Brits, any comments on Roy Fisher, one joky poem on PH, just published poems 1955-2005?

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (1/15/2006 2:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

a little self-promotion: I've just finished my ONLINE STORE, to sell beautiful, fine art note cards (made from paintings I've done) and an audiocassette of 9 whimsical stories I've written (has sophisticated sound effects and music, too) .

The URL is: www.realnothings.com/store/storetitle.htm. I intend to advertise a bit on Google (maybe it'll show up above your poems!) . This is sort of a beta version. But hopefully, the shopping cart (via PayPal) works. Feel free to make purchases! (I guess that's no different than inviting someone to buy a book of his/her poetry) . Send me feedback, please, if you have any.

• Rookie - 7 Points Lori Boulard (1/15/2006 4:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Very cool, Max. I've heard great things about your stories, etc. on realnothings. I'll have to check it out. You don't even really need to consider it self-promotion; it's more like sharing with fr ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (1/15/2006 4:54:00 AM) Post reply

Gonzilla, Nikhil has the lead in our comp - he's attracted an ad for Almighty God above his latest effusion!

• Rookie - 780 Points Jerry Hughes (1/15/2006 12:41:00 AM) Post reply

To all my Jewish friends, and enemies out there, this is a poem not so much to enjoy, but jog the memory. To the Kornitz family (cousins) who survived I say, shalom.

JACEMO*

His name was Jacemo,
    later anglicised to, Jack.
    A nondescript little man
    distinguishable only by,
    his tattooed numbers.

He came with nothing,
    and left with even less.
    An illegibly scribbled
    note in Yiddish read;
    'I died in 1943, what
    you see is a legacy.'