Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/5/2006 8:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Now that we've read enough about poetry let me briefly return to the subject of the little skirmish. Poetryhound versus myself, known by various names, baptised Haines jr. by Sherrie.

It seems that he may have a point after all.
    Painstaking searching of the forum as well as the remaining gray matter has thrown some doubt on my assertion that P-H failed in his (though misguided) experiments last year in which he attempted to show that the system could be beaten.

I remember clearly that suspect X boasted that he could easily move up a poet on the 500 scale toward the front within (I believe it was) 24 hours.
    This did fail, big time. Although I have confirmation from four other members that this was P-H, it may not have been.
    The more I think about it the more I am convinced that suspect X may have been Andrew who wrote under a different name (Fry?) at the time.

I am really unaware of any other experiments at different times so can only comment on this one.
    Recollection is hazy as it tends to be when you are dealing with faceless people, meaning people one has not met in person.
    So, it is entirely possible that P-H was successfull in his experiments, though it does beg the question why anyone would attempt to cheat by beating the system.

The skirmish is finished, cease fire can progress to peace and there was no need to have Collette involved as I firmly believe that no one wants a forum war.
    So, P-H, if I stepped on your toes any harder than you on mine suffice it to say that it isn't hurting any more on this end and I trust the same holds true for you.
    Back to poetry.
    Best wishes
    to all and there will be no charge for the entertainment.
    Herbert

Replies for this message:

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Rookie Linda Jenkinson (1/5/2006 2:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I read today Harold Pinter is feeling better and has been eating out!

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (1/5/2006 2:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

in case there are any of you in the New Jersey/Delaware area, my friend Barbara sent this along...

Boscov's at Cumberland Mall on Delsea Drive at Route 55 in Vineland, NJ (856-327-3800) is offering a class on publishing and self-publishing on Friday, January 20,2006 from 6: 00pm to 8: 00pm. The class will be held in the auditorium and is free. The instructor is William Burns of Tri-County SCORE.

To sign up, just call!

• Rookie Mary Nagy (1/5/2006 3:15:00 PM) Post reply

That would be so nice. (Too far from me) but, I was just telling my husband that I would like to find a writing group or some type of group here in my area to have help and advice on writing. If I ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (1/5/2006 10:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

PAID ADVERTISEMENT * PAID ADVERTISEMENT * PAID ADVERTISEMENT*PAID ADVERTISEMENT

HAS THE 'SECRET ONE-ER' STRUCK YOUR POEMS?

OR ARE YOU SIMPLY DISCOURAGED BY LOW SCORES OR NEGLECT OF YOUR WORK?

Now you can
    *****BUY YOURSELF A 10! *****

Yes, who is to say your poems are not as great as you think they are? Put your money where your opinion is!

So you DON'T think your poem is immortal? Then be honest! Buy yourself an 8!

And say...want to get into the TOP 500 poets? PoetBooster (TM) can help!

For a reasonable price, get a fair rating:

a 10: $5
    a 9: $4
    an 8: $3
    a 7: $2.50
    a 6: $1

To win a place in the hallowed circle of the TOP 500 Poets:

$25

NOW: we can place you within the TOP 100!
    prices available upon request.

Boost your PoetPower with PoemBoosters!

PAID ADVERTISEMENT * PAID ADVERTISEMENT * PAID ADVERTISEMENT*PAID ADVERTISEMENT

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/5/2006 9:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sorry to be such a pain by taking up so much space, but I have just discovered a fasinating thing. Having just posted a poem about ants, I returned to doudle-check there were no typos, only to notice that there is a link to pest control above the piece.

How innovative this world of wonderment!

• Rookie Max Reif (1/5/2006 10:08:00 AM) Post reply

Yeah, that's the way they software does it! I've seen animations of snowfalls right next to a poem about snow, like an illustration!

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (1/5/2006 9:56:00 AM) Post reply

I just read a very satisfying interview with T.S. Eliot, by Donald Hall, that appeared in the PARIS REVIEW in 1959. If anyone's interested, it's at:

www.parisreview.com/media/4738_ELIOT.pdf

The archives of that magazine contain landmark interviews with many, many of the great writers of the 20th century:

I was interested in particular in one question Hall asked. He said that the interview was taking place in 'the age of Eliot, Pound, and Stevens'-those poets were primary influences on current ones. And who occupied those roles when Eliot was coming of age as a poet? His answer: no one.

And does anyone, in your opinion, poets, occupy that role now? Or is the poetry world 'fragmented' or multi-faceted so that one poet has one main influence, and another has a different one? (That's what I think.)
    www.parisreview.com/viewinterview.php/prmMID/4738

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/5/2006 9:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I have to ask: Is some bloody psychotherapist recommending writing as therapy and posting it on PH as some quack inducement to build self-confidence. If so, would they lay off and consider the effect this is having on us struggling artists.

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/5/2006 10:19:00 AM) Post reply

I have read it and am dumbstruck, almost lost for words, but not quite. Awesome, my dear!

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (1/5/2006 9:27:00 AM) Post reply

Because everything is food for poetry, just about anything that smacks of 'life' is relevant here in the Forum, I think.
    I just listened to an interesting interview on 'fresh air' (NPR) about the history of American comics, ie the funny papers. The guy who wrote it is the son of Mort Walker, who originated the 'Hi and Lois' and 'Beetle Bailey' (which I've always found pretty dorky) strips. He gave a history about how, in the early 1900's there were social and religious movements *against* the comic pages, even editorials; but the public always devoured them, thus insuring their continuation.
    However, Walker went on to lament how UTTERLY conservative readers of the comic pages are...any bedroom scene in 'Hi and Lois', a couple married for decades, are immediately excised by the editors. One frame that showed the baby, Trixie, being left alone in the bathtub for ONE panel, while her mom went to the closet (in the same bathroom, but off the panel) for a towel, inspired a scathing letter from a reader 'How dare you leave Trixie alone in the tub! '
    Most of you here will want to stick to poetry. As I came to consciousness, I was amazed how banal some of the strips, like 'Nancy and Sluggo' were. When I was little, there was that bald, skinny boy named Henry, who never spoke. Also, 'The Little King', who was pretty funny sometimes. And of course, 'Pogo', who would say, 'I dismember' when he meant, 'I forget (don't remember) . 'Pogo' retains interest for any poet, I would think.

Today I sometimes peruse the Comics pages in search of a laugh. Occasionally, I find one.

Here's the link for the interview, if anyone's interested:
    www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php? storyId=5080874

Any of you folks have favorite, or unfavorite, comic strips, current or past? Memories, stories?

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/5/2006 9:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Well, I am looking forward to a peaceful year. It is rather pleasant to visit at P/H and we shall make it even more pleasant.
    I trust that exterminators, windowcleaners and maids can be employed to keep things in total harmony.
    Also, I would like samples of poems posted in the forum to get a 'taste' if that is possible.
    What do you think?
    Best
    H

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/5/2006 9:42:00 AM) Post reply

I just noticed that the spat between yourself and the learned professor Hound has also been deleted. How nice! Does this mean group hugs session?

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/5/2006 9:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

So Herbert, did you start by deleting your reply from the message I left concerning the ratings system? Were you withdrawing your valued support, in order to maintain a bit of peace? I am heartbr ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (1/5/2006 9:17:00 AM) Post reply

Could you please elaborate on that last idea, Herbert? I have no idea what you mean, yet. Thanking you much.

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/5/2006 8:35:00 AM) Post reply

Well, boys and girls. The clouds have been wiped away to make room for the silver lining, you know Argentum nitricum.
    Sorry about all the fruits falling off but there is a light breeze that could signal that we all live under the same sky yet none of us have the same horizon.I just posted a poofter poem, hope I am not offending anyone. It is about a friend (not close) who is a retired schoolteacher and the grandest guy, otherwise.
    Best wishes
    H
    Best wishes
    H

[Hata Bildir]