Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Colin Down (10/27/2005 11:34:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi, there I thought that this would be a good place for information. I recently aquired a small leather bound poetry book by Matthew Arnold, it dates from 1928, can anyone tell me about this book, and would it be worth insuring?
    Many thanks
    Colin

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (10/27/2005 4:06:00 PM) Post reply

If I were you, I'd email Maggs or another of the rare book dealers in London and ask them the going rate. Arnold died in 1888 and out of fashion now, so I doubt it's worth much.

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (10/27/2005 8:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

hey, what are you all doing for Hallowe'en? parties, costumes, masquerades, burnt pagan offerings, etc?

• Mary Nagy (10/27/2005 8:09:00 PM) Post reply

Taking the kids trick-or-treating and then passing out candy at our house......typical halloween.

• Michael Shepherd (10/27/2005 3:46:00 PM) Post reply

A nice bit of timing over here - they've just found a 'witch-bottle' one of 200 or so found to date: you get the local white witch to fill it with a concoction of 30 or so ingredients, then stick it i ... more

• Michael Shepherd (10/27/2005 11:13:00 AM) Post reply

On my knees fending off the ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties, and things that go bump in the night, praying that All Saints' Day will arrive on schedule this year... is there another way ... more

• Mary Nagy (10/27/2005 5:42:00 AM) Post reply

A day late.......but HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO RONBERGE! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

• Marcy Jarvis (10/27/2005 5:30:00 AM) Post reply

Brush your breath, brush your breath, brush your breath with DENTINE!

• Jerry Hughes (10/26/2005 7:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Movers, those who eat soup with a fork, and Shakers. A little reminder that life through poetry isn't all doom and gloom. Nor is it a venue to vomit hatred,
    intermixed with racial vilification on to defenseless paper. Here's an example of how poetry can touch the soul deeply.

MORNING SONG

Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
    The midwife slapped your foootsoles, and your bald cry
    Took it's place among the elements.

Our voices echo, magifying your arrival. New statue,
    In a drafty museum, your nakedness
    Shadows our safety. We stand round blankly as walls.

I'm no more your mother
    Than the cloud that distils a mirror to reflect its
    own slow
    Effacement at the wind's hand.

All night your moth-breath
    Flickers among the flat pink roses. I wake to listen:
    A far sea moves in my ear.

One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
    In my Victorian nightgown.
    Your mouth opens clean as a cat's. The window square

Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
    Your handful of notes;
    The clear vowels rise like balloons.

Sylvia Plath

• Allan James Saywell (10/26/2005 7:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

i have to ask this question i realize it's not the place to do it, but how much do YOU pay for a litre of petrol on average in the USA

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/27/2005 4:30:00 AM) Post reply

I am so happy that my 5.7 Hemi V-8 uses so little fuel. H

• Mary Nagy (10/26/2005 7:43:00 PM) Post reply

Here in Michigan we are paying $2.40 per gallon.......that's for normal gas. Diesel fuel is $3.39 per gallon (that's really riling the truckers!)

• Allan James Saywell (10/26/2005 2:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

the poet who has the need to mark my poems with a one is back in town and i say to you thank you you must really care about my work to go to that much trouble

• Allan James Saywell (10/26/2005 2:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

got out of bed to have a early breakfast only 5.15 in the morning in tweed heads the rest of the family are sound asleep children seem to need sleep
    might have a bowl of fluoride for breakfast this morning

• Allan James Saywell (10/26/2005 1:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

the only thing i remember from my schooldays is the boy stood on the burning
    deck, tarzan swings tarzan falls, tarzan breaks his-- no i'v forgotten

• Michael Shepherd (10/26/2005 11:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I'm so cynical that any report that says 'There is no evidence that...' (harms, doesn't harm, etc) I assume means either they haven't devised a sound test, or they're selling something...

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/26/2005 8:46:00 PM) Post reply

Michael it is the wisdom of age, nothing can beat it. Just watch as it further increases in the next 18 years and stay away from the fluoride. I will eat my hat and Sherrie's pink brassiere if I can b ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/26/2005 8:43:00 PM) Post reply

Yes NAIVE is right. There is no evidence is often supported by 'findings' from epidemiology (statistics) , which is mostly useless and cannot be used for proof of anything but often is. Probably, th ... more

• Poetry Hound (10/26/2005 2:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It's standard language from careful scientists and researchers in all fields, Michael. 'There is no evidence that.. ' means exactly what it sounds like, that there's always a possibility that evidence ... more

[Hata Bildir]