Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Rosa Mayfair (1/5/2006 7:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Can people please comment on my poems, if they have the time, thank you

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Mary Nagy (1/5/2006 7:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Rosa, I really enjoyed your ''Beggar Man'' poem. I think it's a very thoughtful poem and shows your heart. sincerely, Mary

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/5/2006 7:43:00 AM) Post reply

So sorry. Looked at two (to be fair) of yours. Didn't like them at all. Back to the groceries. Best wishes and don't take MY word for it. Ask Carter, JC H

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/5/2006 7:40:00 AM) Post reply

Rosa, I shall hasten to comply. Mainly because I used to purchase most of my groceries at the Mayfair Markets during my stay in the USA. Should you be a heiress of said chain, give me time. I shall r ... more

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/5/2006 6:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sort of keeping on the same track as Joy. I think that the rating system, for individual works, should be done away with. It serves no purpose as it cannot bear relation to the comments left on each piece of work. The fact that some, anonymous person has given the poem a 10 or a 1 is so slight an indication of how they view the work as to be a total irrelevance. It bears little on the more important question, to the reader and the writer, that being: Why?

I would suggest that visitors be allowed to leave comments, a sort of guestbook book if you like, seperated from the comments left by members,

Ranking has become a fetish in today's world; a world that sometimes cannot think or value anything beyond the superfluous. Everything is reduced to a perverted democracy that we find in 'Your favorite blahs' type of books, journals or websites.

It is a wonderful example of insulting the inteligence whilst making us a part of it, thus making us feel good about having a role to play.

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (1/5/2006 8:43:00 AM) Post reply

right you are, Denis. statistics, rankings, numbers. our entire culture has become a series of countdowns. it's all about who stacks up against whom.

• Rookie Joy Vanderhelm (1/5/2006 4:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think the earlier comments about the rating system, them being bullshit, I mean, are sufficient explaination for the top 500. I think it's better to comment honestly and objectively and to recieve such comments. That's how I judge how good my work is and how much better it could be. The whole rating system isn't worth the time or the attention it's getting. So, let's all please move on to grander things. Like, what did everyone have for breakfast this morning? :)

• Rookie Mary Nagy (1/5/2006 7:54:00 AM) Post reply

Breakfast? Nothing......... I gave up drinking pop and I think that took my appetite with it.

• Rookie ***** ********* (1/5/2006 3:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Me again! Just notice at the bottom of the screen, left hand side there is this column, People who read Tai Chi Italy also read: And all the names have dissappeared. Has anyone else noticed this I wonder? It was a good feature, to read others work and I miss it.

Picky today,

Tai

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/5/2006 12:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I recommend the establishment of an award on this site.
    Those who have been here longer than 12 months are eligible for the award of the Poemhunter Durability Award (PHD)

All those with a PHD are automatically allowed into the prestigious 500 Club.
    Best
    H

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (1/5/2006 8:46:00 AM) Post reply

i think we should also get a medal for Poemhunter Forum Survivability to wear on our chests. it will resemble the Purple Heart with a 'V' affixed for Valor. and how about a Campaign Ribbon for those ... more

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/5/2006 5:12:00 AM) Post reply

Both, Michael. nd I like the word twitter. Gewitter in German means thunderstorm. H

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (1/5/2006 4:16:00 AM) Post reply

Does that refer to the durability of the poems posted, or the effort of living through the twitter on the Forum?

• Rookie Rusty Daily (1/4/2006 9:29:00 PM) Post reply

Civil discourse. Anyone?

• Rookie Michael Voorhis (1/4/2006 9:25:00 PM) Post reply

Now another fight on the forum. Seems like peace on the boards is out of the question these days.

• Rookie ***** ********* (1/4/2006 5:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

How come, there are 10,000 alleged people reading this site, at this very moment and yet the hits are always the same numbers reading the poetry each day. I have a feeling that the figures are massaged, or made up! What do others here think I wonder?

Curious

Tai

• Rookie Rich Hanson (1/4/2006 8:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Far more people type in the name of a poet like 'Maya Angelou' or 'Ted Kooser' and read their work judging from the hundreds of feedbacks that these writers receive per poem. As much fun as we have ... more

• Rookie Rusty Daily (1/4/2006 7:23:00 PM) Post reply

Tai, I think it's all those people who are making the phony votes on the top 500 poems. smiles You got a point.

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/4/2006 3:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

PHers. I have just posted what, I consider to be, my most philisophical work to date, 'On First hearing John Cage's 4' 33''.

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (1/4/2006 7:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

YESTERDAY WAS TUESDAY
    .....................TODAY IS JERRY HUGHES DAY
    ...........................................HAPPY JERRY HUGHESDAY TO ONE AND ALL

• Rookie Mary Nagy (1/4/2006 7:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

That's what I thought......but since everyone else was celebrating yesterday I figured they knew something I dind't! :) Well, whichever.......I guess it's Jerry's week!

[Hata Bildir]