Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Declan McHenry (12/15/2005 3:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It seems I have had the dubious honour of several visits from the 'One' bomber. Ah well, the way of things I guess. Rough with the smooth. Yet it was nicely balanced by the fact I have had a lovely complimentary comment, completely unsolicited, in relation to my biography on site. lol. We have downs and we have ups. Hey ho!

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (12/15/2005 3:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Declan, how do you know? Your stats look pretty healthy to me and your average rating is high. Which poems? It doesn't look like a 'straight through the list' oner. My green-eyed monster detective can ... more

• Allan James Saywell (12/15/2005 2:25:00 PM) Post reply

i would like to say that it is a good thing with the poets that have chosen to be published in the poem hunter anthologies it gives them a chance to thrill at seeing there work in print because this is what it is all about
    plus the joy of poetry itself

• Cj Heck (12/15/2005 10:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Thanks to all my friends on the 'one' issue. Nuff said.
    Love you all, and Merry Christmas! Time now for smiling again...

• Michael Shepherd (12/15/2005 1:21:00 PM) Post reply

And we wish ONE hell of a Christmas and New Poetic Year to you and your Clearly Significant Other...

• Jon Lloyd (12/15/2005 9:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Hi there! I have not felt moved to write to the forum before, but I wanted some input from others as to what they think about the posting of racist and offensive poetry on this site. I am all for free speech, but am I the only one who feels that grossly offensive material should be removed from the site? For instance here in the UK we hold the idea of freedom of speech as of great importance, but there is still a law against incitement to racial hatred. 'Holocaust denial' is also a crime in some countries.

For those of you who have not read the 'poetry' of which I speak, I am afraid that I am not going to dignify it by naming the poet here. He (she?) knows who he is...

• Max Reif (12/15/2005 8:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I read a piece of writing once on PH (I won't dignify it by calling it a poem) that was nothing but a homicidal fantasy that the author was getting off on having people read. I reported it to the man ... more

• Declan McHenry (12/15/2005 11:57:00 AM) Post reply

What I've also seen is some offensive comments added to people's work. Obviously, we can now delet such comment from our own work. If I see it elsewhere I tend to make a point, though, of sending a me ... more

• Michael Shepherd (12/15/2005 10:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jon, this matter comes up from time to time (we do full-on personal offensive once every six months, it seems..) We have a site controller, Collette from mgt, who removes the most offensive poems ... more

• Mary Nagy (12/15/2005 10:03:00 AM) Post reply

Please check your inbox Jon. :) Mary

• Michael Shepherd (12/15/2005 5:14:00 AM) Post reply

I think we should look into the ISBN number thing. Google ISBN and read the 'frequently asked questions'. My personal experience of it is that this 10-digit number, normally quoted on the title page along with the copyright declaration (you can copyright your own poems simply by adding the copyright symbol) is the way of ordering from Amazon and other on and offline services, a book that's not usually listed or has never been ordered before. so there's a chance that if someone does order in this way, Amazon etc will have a record of it and it might even get permanent recognition on their site..

ISBNs are sold in the US through Bowker, in blocks of ten (!) and they only re veal the price when you apply...it can't be huge. An extra payment gets you into Bowker's 'Books in Print' tome...I expect Nikhil knows all these matters.

Quoting an ISBN to, say, Amazon, doesn't however, in my experience, guarantee that you'll get the book. Sometimes they add an extra 'difficult to obtain' fee, sometimes they just say unavailable i.e. can't be bothered...

And of course, it would require lulu-com to have this information added for future printings. Do they make a charge for subsequent alterations, Lori?

• Wayne Guy Butterfield (12/15/2005 4:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Hello, all. Just wrote an anti-war poem called Nowhere to Hide. It's received some favorable comments, and I've been encouraged to try reaching a general audience, but know little about sites or publishers that might consider it. If any of you have a moment to read it (among my postings, or in the R&R Forum) , I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks and best to all, Wayne

• Joseph Daly (12/15/2005 6:27:00 AM) Post reply

Wayne, you posted this earlier, except there was a slightly different wording to it. I did leave a reply but it seems that by deleting your early message you deleted my comment. So the mystery of th ... more

• Mary Nagy (12/15/2005 5:36:00 AM) Post reply

One of the best poems on the topic...........wonderful poem Wayne. Sincerely, Mary

• Michael Shepherd (12/15/2005 5:21:00 AM) Post reply

My recommendation is that, as with all statements that come hot from the heart, free verse would allow that heat better freedom of utterance.

• Joseph Daly (12/15/2005 4:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Has anyone noticed how many writers on this site begin their works with a line about waking up? Just an observation. Just a thought.

• Allan James Saywell (12/15/2005 2:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

woke up got out of bed ran a comb across my head like that dennis

• Mary Nagy (12/15/2005 12:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Yes, I've done this myself...........I think it's due to the inspiration hitting us while we sleep. Also, the romantic thought of dreaming or waking up from a dream finding yourself in a wonderful li ... more

• Max Reif (12/14/2005 11:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Guys, (and ladies) , I'm announcing again that I received my anthology copies! They're lovely! I hope Herbert can find out what's happened to his, and that the rest of you who ordered will get yours any day now.

For those who are new here, we put a book together several weeks ago, and it's been published by an on-demand, online site called Lulu (www.lulu.com) . If you want to learn about the book, go to that site and SEARCH on 'Poemhunters Anthology.'

I wonder, is there a point in sending out review copies? And are the PH folks in Paris receiving a copy?

• Alice Vedral Rivera Rookie - 1st Stage (12/15/2005 8:52:00 AM) Post reply

I got mine. They are lovely - my family's getting them for Christmas from my husband & me (we do a grab bag so 1 person gets an expensive present and the rest get something small - I have a very large ... more

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (12/15/2005 5:24:00 AM) Post reply

My publishers say, waste of money...but if anyone has good contacts with media or reviewers - ask their advice! It sometimes intrigues them enough to get them to follow it up.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/14/2005 9:14:00 PM) Post reply

Sorry to ask again.
    I ordered 3 copies of the anthology, they charged my credit card on 7 Dec for the books and EXPRESS international shipping.
    I cannot find a contact e-mail address on the site and there is no history that I can see of them sending anything.
    Anyone have ideas?
    Clicking on the various help and contact buttons gets no contact e-mail facility.
    I am getting frustrated.
    Best
    H

• Mary Nagy (12/14/2005 8:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well, in the hopes there can be peace found among the people here on poemhunter and we don't see Round 2 of the infamous Poet Wars............I'd like to post a poem from a wise poet (AJS) and hope we can all enjoy this site (and world) in peace alongside eachother.

A Poem For Peace

How many war's, make a right
    Can i have a belief
    Without a war
    Is my god any different then your's
    Do i have to kill a man
    Who doesn't believe, what i believe
    Did jesus kill for his god
    Would a muslim kill a man
    Who had no god
    Would a man pray in the street
    If he had no church
    I have a right, as a human being
    To be free
    To live in a world, free of war
    So do the children of the world
    So we ask for peace

• Allan James Saywell Rookie - 1st Stage (12/14/2005 11:06:00 PM) Post reply

you have a lot of courage mary coming in to the lions den when the lions have yet to be fed, but women throughout history have displayed courage

[Hata Bildir]