Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 1st Stage Jerry Hughes (1/1/2006 1:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

ON THIS FIRST DAY OF 2006 MAY I SAY, TO ALL OF YOU, FROM ALL OF ME, HAVE A HAPPY, HEALTHY AND PRODUCTIVE 365 - AND AS YOU STEP INTO THIS NEW YEAR, MAY YOUR GOD WALK WITH, AND CARE FOR YOU. FONDLY, THE SEVENTY-FIVE YOUNG, JERRY

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 1st Stage Ernestine Northover (1/1/2006 8:49:00 AM) Post reply

And on this first day of the New Year Jerry, may God bless you too. Hugs from me. Love Ernestine XXX

• Rookie - 1st Stage Joseph Daly (1/1/2006 4:11:00 AM) Post reply

Thank you Jerry, I'm sure that we all will wish to return the complement of your blessing. All the best mate.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Shawn Green (1/1/2006 12:45:00 AM) Post reply

why do people like 2 play with others emotions

• Rookie - 1st Stage Mary Nagy (1/1/2006 12:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! ! ! ! ! Ok......I may be the only one that would celebrate this but I waited up till 1: 00 a.m. tonight (my time) to try to have the ''1st Poem Posted in 2006''! I feel a strange sense of accomplishment with this! :)))) (Hey, I take my victories where I can find them!) HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY! .......... Truthfully, I havn't stayed up this late in years so I was just glad I made it till midnight.....then my grouchy neighbor yelled obcenities at us and threatened to call the police while we were doing our fireworks. (Some people are so mean!) Sincerely, Mary

• Rookie - 1st Stage Lori Boulard (1/1/2006 10:41:00 AM) Post reply

Hey, nice timing! I think it's a good omen that the first post was you, Oh Poet of Great Big Heart (that would be your Indian name, I suppose) . Anyway Happy New Year!

• Rookie - 1st Stage Ernestine Northover (1/1/2006 8:55:00 AM) Post reply

HAPPY NEW YEAR MARY, yep we had some real 'bangers' going on around us at midnight here, they actually shook the house. I've got a feeling they were commercial ones and not for domestic use. Still tha ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Joseph Daly (1/1/2006 4:06:00 AM) Post reply

And what a wonderful piece it is too Mary. Your action displays commitiment beyond the call of duty.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Joy Vanderhelm (12/31/2005 8:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hello all. Just wanted to say Happy New Year to all the movers and shakers and poetic delights and/or malcontents on the site.
    'And, lo, the year doth end,
    Leaving in mind not just one,
    But many a friend.
    And, I say thank ya.'

• Rookie - 1st Stage Allan James Saywell (12/31/2005 8:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

fellow poets i have come across a cd disk with my book 'In his Own Words'
    with all the graphics and words, otherwise a early electronic book written for
    children in mind as well i only got violent with my words when i came to this site a couple of years ago, when i came here i only had sixty poems to my name
    so i guess you could say that poem hunter lit the fuse of the old poet
    so my book contains all my early work and in the book there is not one swearword or poem that contains any vile thoughts you would after you read the book actually call me the first saint of poetry, butter would not melt in my mouth i wrote the book with children in mind
    but i tell you my fellow poets i am glad i did the book for it taught me something we are all from the same brush yes we have different styles
    different likes and dislikes but we are all poets with a single purpose we have the need to be read and this site caters for that need

• Rookie - 1st Stage Joseph Daly (1/1/2006 4:10:00 AM) Post reply

Ah, shucks Allan, you are an old softie. My best wishes to you, for the New Year. Your prank was a gem, wasn't it Mary?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Mary Nagy (12/31/2005 8:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

So.........are we able to purchase that electronic book Allan?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Max Reif (12/31/2005 3:43:00 PM) Post reply

Just did the burning of the calendar.
    We don't eat the ashes till dinner, though.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Joseph Daly (12/31/2005 11:41:00 AM) Post reply

An observation: Is it the time of the year for writers, because I have spent a good few hours over the past three days reading some fantastic works. I would have expected a sort of winding down, but no, that certainly is not the case. I'm not going to name names, you know who you are from comments that I have left. I am just bemused by this phenomenon.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Ernestine Northover (12/31/2005 11:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi Everybody. I shall drink a toast to you all for the New Year. My best wishes to everyone on PH, thanks for all the great times I have enjoyed since finding you all. You're a great bunch. Wherever you are, have a wonderful time, in whatever way you will be celebrating. See you all in 2006. Happy days! Love Ernestine XXX

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (12/31/2005 10:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Did you realise that if you hit PoetryAbout.com , our secret sister site, under your name, you get a popular fave list (by readers and computer, presumably) of your poems? Intriguing, and a nice way of breaking-in your resistant friends and relations to your work!

If you're like me, and proudly love your poetic offspring all the more if you know they're liked by others - then give yourself a 2006 treat.

My particular treat was finding well regarded, the poem I extracted from Rilke's advice to a young poet, and feeling that he himself was writing it today, with today's enjambment (for better or worse..) .

Did I wish you all a happy 2006 already 5 times? Well here's the sixth.. spend the remaining hours of 2005 insh the condish conshun condishun youwd youdwant you'd want wanto be be in cheersebody evrybod frauld acqu frau quai...

And a wish for international poetry in 2006: that it/we can/ join the love we have for the English language at its best, in the West, with the warm open heart that our Eastern brothers and sisters have revealed here this year...

XXX Michael XXX

• Rookie - 1st Stage Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/31/2005 7:07:00 PM) Post reply

www.PoemsAbout.com is the correct site methinks. It appears that someone has put our poems in 'rating' order indeed. Wow! If so, a BIG THANKS, I needed that. H

• Rookie - 1st Stage Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/31/2005 6:49:00 PM) Post reply

Exactly my question. I think it's the wrong name (?) H

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Voorhis (12/31/2005 3:19:00 PM) Post reply

Wait, how do you go about doing this? I go to the site but it just seems like one of those low-end search engine pages.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Max Reif (12/31/2005 8:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Today's WRITER'S ALMANAC gives this inspiring detail from the life of Henri Matisse. If you're me you'll appreciate it:

It's the birthday of the painter Henri Matisse, born in Le Cateau, France (1869) . He and Picasso are generally considered the two greatest painters of the twentieth century. But as far as historians can tell, there was absolutely no sign in Matisse's early life that he would go on to become an artist. He started out studying law, and though his law school was in Paris, Matisse never once attended an art museum while he was living there, not even the Louvre.

He returned home after law school to take a clerical job in a lawyer's office when he was struck by a case of appendicitis. He was bedridden for weeks, and a neighbor suggested that he try passing the time by painting. His mother bought him a box of paints, and he read a how-to-paint book. He later described those first experiences painting as almost like a religious conversion. He said, 'For the first time in my life I felt free, quiet, and alone... carried along by a power alien to my life as a normal man.'

Today's ALMANAC also quotes Nicholas Sparks, a writer whose work I've never read, saying, Nicholas Sparks said, 'Writing the last page of the first draft is the most enjoyable moment in writing. It's one of the most enjoyable moments in life, period.'

• Rookie - 1st Stage Declan McHenry (12/31/2005 9:13:00 AM) Post reply

Max, an excellent post highlighting one strand of that topical oddity 'inspiration.'

[Hata Bildir]