Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Mary Nagy (1/8/2006 11:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

So....when is Poemhunter going to organize a ''Poemhunter Convention'' for everyone to get together and meet? I think that would be so nice! (Even if they would have to set up a boxing ring on one side for those who feel the need to let off steam) How nice it would be to have everyone meet in one place! (I vote for Michigan!) :)

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Lori Boulard (1/8/2006 2:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

if there's one in NY, count me in! And, no, I will not organize it ;)

• Rookie Max Reif (1/8/2006 11:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

One might be able to organize 'regional' get-togethers, especially in places like London. Another idea, which Michael Shepherd and I came up with (he may not know it yet) would be to expand the antho ... more

• Rookie Joy Vanderhelm (1/8/2006 11:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I love the idea, Mary, but wonder if it is truly feasable. After all, how many of us work schedules and jobs that don't exactly allow for downtime like that? But, sign me up, anyway!

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (1/8/2006 8:57:00 AM) Post reply

The comedian/film-maker Albert Brooks ('Real Life', 'Lost in America') has just made a new movie, 'Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World'. He especially takes on American stereotypes about Muslims. It sounds both gutsy and hilarious. It just premiered at the Dubai Film Festival! On the rarely-used 'Freeform Poetry' Forum page, I'll post the whole NY TIMES article, which itself is hilarious. It discusses Brooks' odyssey through the Muslim world, making the film, encountering various characters, always satirizing himself first of all. Even the article was a breath of fresh air.

I LOVED Brooks' film 'Real Life', in which he hilariously and significantly satirized the US public TV's series years ago filming a 'typical' American family at their daily life (the couple wound up getting a divorce) . In Brooks' movie, the bungling, meddling documentarian absolutely contaminates his experiment and destroys the family's life, their house, everything. I recommend that film, too!

I bring you this as part of my sense that a poet must be interested in everything, and so most everything is relevant here.

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/8/2006 7:37:00 AM) Post reply

Happy Birthday, Denis!

As a critic of note
    all the words that he wrote
    were of help and of use
    if you were in those shoes
    that would flatter your skills
    like amphetamine pills,
    if you listen to some
    you may well guzzle rum
    but he says it as is
    with a flair of showbiz.
    I have missed his great day
    yet I hope that this may
    still bring joy to his life
    and prevent any strife
    for this year and oh-seven
    may the angels in Heaven
    bless his life and his mind
    as a poet who's kind.
    Happy Birthday my boy
    as your work is a joy
    will you rest tender feet
    you are always a treat.

Herbert Nehrlich

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/8/2006 3:49:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Morning all. The weather is over cast, the dogs are asleep, the cat is sitting on the desk continuing its quest to comprehend the hyrogliphics that appear on the computer screen, whilst sticking his tounge out as if to demonstrate contempt for my superior skill, and the site is on a go slow. Again!

• Rookie Max Reif (1/8/2006 8:50:00 AM) Post reply

You're logged on to some Egyptian site? *** When Poemhunter gets slow, EVERYBODY JUST HAS TO ROW HARDER!

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/8/2006 3:22:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mary, I just posted an answer to your query about me in relation to religion/God etc.
    The Business Of Religion
    Best
    H

• Rookie Savannah Churchill (1/7/2006 6:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Ah the delights of the intellectual mind, so sharp, so mean, so anal

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie Savannah Churchill (1/7/2006 5:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

appologies to all the small minded people who find my new posting offensive - though the response really should be as the title says....

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/7/2006 6:40:00 PM) Post reply

It really wasn't that offensive Savannah, unless one find thepasse offensive, in that case I would hard call those people small minded. Allan, the femisnist guise is superb. What on earth did you ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (1/7/2006 2:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

morning all what a day yesterday could not get one poem on submitted had a dreadfull time i could not read anyones work, i hope today is better i
    copied my electronic book on to some blank cd disks and one copy will be on its way to america on monday i included some other stuff a couple of pictures some odd poems as an extra for the young lady plus my book
    i hope she will act as a go between as you know it is quite difficult sending
    stuff via email but it is a wonderfull thing being able to transfer
    material unto a disk a book with an isbn number which is all mine and
    which i spent six weeks pulling my hair out over and which i might add
    i did make a small profit but i must tell you i was quite aware that
    making money out of a poetry book was akin too selling ice to eskimoes
    it wasn't my main purpose but the book is in a couple of libraries in the land down under and i think children like to read the book and adults
    have a good one

• Rookie Mary Nagy (1/7/2006 2:44:00 PM) Post reply

I will be anxious to read it allan! And one thing I can say is....... I will gladly do what I can. (Since I havn't published my poems yet though, I'm not really ''hip'' to what you do to get the wo ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (1/7/2006 2:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Dear Allan, I just tried to find your book at the web address you sent me, allanthepoet@au.msnusers.com, and I couldn't find it. Is it still there?

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (1/7/2006 12:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

I just posted this Comment on Denis Joe's main page. I would encourage everyone to read his poems.

I've only just had the time and ability to fully concentrate coincide, so that I was able to peruse a number of Denis' longer works, and also some shorter ones, with the attention they deserve. I have impulses to put on a cyber-sanwich sign and go 'round Poemhunter beating a drum for Denis. The passion he puts into his work makes it impossible for these poems not to arouse passionate interest in the reader, at least THIS reader! Denis mines that wonderful asset for a writer, a difficult childhood. He runs an alchemy shop turning lead into gold, in fact! He also has many extremely memorable lines in his poems, which make it gold studded with gems! As I wrote Denis in comments under some poems, my one suggestion is some of the poems will benefit from a certain intuitive tightening, to lend a bit more of a certain kind of unity. Denis' longest poem (that I've seen) , 'Family Portrait, which left me breathless, but will also, I feel benefit from a bit of 'goldsmith's art', fine tuning. The poem is a torrent of emotion, and would take any poet a lot of time to be able to see freshly and then continue to chisel to (our human approximation of) perfection. I have to say, the torrent itself is a kind of perfection, too. Denis has the potential to be miner, alchemist, and goldsmith. He is a poet of great heart, learning his craft more and more, and what he has to say forces itself out of him and into this reader's mind and heart, as if life itself has had one thing in mind, to give Denis the raw materials for his art.

I hope I'm not 'off subject' saying my prayer for Denis is that as he writes and lives, the rich, positive emotions his childhood was poor in, are also being discovered and will continue to be, to nourish him, for though the art is important, the artist is more so.

• Rookie - 7 Points Lucy Burrow (1/9/2006 5:17:00 AM) Post reply

Hear hear, Max, Denis is a fine writer and a constructive critic. An asset to PH indeed. Regards, Lucy

• Rookie - 7 Points Joseph Daly (1/8/2006 3:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Thank you very much Max. I am, inthe words of the British Commedian, 'quite undone; my quite has never been so undone'. Thank you to you all. I do like getting older. I see it as a sense of achieveme ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Mary Nagy (1/7/2006 3:24:00 PM) Post reply

I agree here Max! Denis is such a treasure........a wonderful man and as well as a wonderful poet!

• Rookie - 7 Points Cj Heck (1/7/2006 1:15:00 PM) Post reply

Amen, Max. I am and have been for a lon ... more

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/7/2006 10:46:00 AM) Post reply

If, like me, you go through the New Poems, ticking off those that catch your interest, then putting them aside to read at a leasurely pace, then you might be interested in something that I find, makes the journey extra pleasant: Music! More particularly Bach. I find that the Goldberg Variations go very well with Charles Chaim Wax' Try it out some time.

[Hata Bildir]