Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (12/9/2005 2:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Harold Pinter's Nobel Prize speech (still minimum press coverage in the UK, only the Daily Telegraph briefly today, how's the US doing?) is on Nobelprize.org...46 minutes, low and high bandwidth, but high visitor activity at the moment may delay your connection. Not to be missed.

Replies for this message:
    • Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (12/9/2005 4:23:00 PM) Post reply

Michael, Pinter's lecture, Art, Truth and Politics. Astonishing, simply astonishing! The only other social commentator able to stand shoulder to shoulder with, 'our 'arold' is, the indefatigable Gore ... more

• Richard George Rookie - 1st Stage (12/9/2005 2:20:00 PM) Post reply

On the website redmolotov.com you can buy a brown Tshirt with Lenny Bruce's face and comment 'Take away the right to say F%*$ and you take away the right to say F@! & the government'. Seems appropriat ... more

• Cj Heck (12/9/2005 11:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

CJ Heck (12/9/2005 8: 51: 00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies | Delete this message

Hi everyone! I've got a question for you 'experts' in here.

I have a poem I would like to post, but it has sections in it that have to stand out from the rest of the poem for it to be read correctly. Does anyone know how to bold, or italicize, or print in a different color? I don't see where PH gives us a way to do that, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for your time and help.

Michael Shepherd (12/9/2005 10: 34: 00 AM) Post reply
    Ronberge is an expert, dammit, and another guy too, and Max as he said. And Nikhil does large point size like some people write epic. Italicizing is relatively easy. Only I've forgotten since Max told... more

Max Reif (12/9/2005 10: 10: 00 AM) Post reply
    I can help, I just don't have time now. Some time today or if not, tomorrow (if no one else shows you) .

Andrew Philips (12/9/2005 9: 58: 00 AM) Post reply
    I have the same problem, too. My 'Awakening of Life' reads differently with the indents, but the only way I could indent was underscores.

• Poetry Hound Rookie - 1st Stage (12/9/2005 3:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

CJ, maybe ask David K. Z how he is able to post his poems in red/brown typeface. He just posted one a little while ago.

• Cj Heck Rookie - 1st Stage (12/9/2005 11:09:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks for replying, gentlemen. I would definitely like to use italicizing when someone has the time to explain it to me. I'll check back here later on. Max? When you're not busy, okay? Again, m ... more

• Michael Shepherd (12/9/2005 6:04:00 AM) Post reply

I hope you all get to see and hear Pinter's Nobel speech. A political activist with research behind him, playwright, actor and poet - it's a great experience, and it's being swept under the carpet very swiftly, while we wait for the smooth obituaries... it gives a clue to his poetry too: he tries to transfer his succinct, pared-down conversational playwriting to poetry, so the familiar cliches that are the very essence of his playwriting need to have him read them aloud to take off from the banal printed page (which you're reading silently but in your own subjective, critical voice - don't ever forget that; and he'd like to write with the force of Neruda's savage Civil war poems (in translation) . Don't judge poems - place them. Otherwise, it sounds like pretentious pomposity.

• Robert Rorabeck Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 9:43:00 PM) Post reply

Oh, if you want to read a truly great poet check out Alan Dugan- his latest poetry collection, Poems Seven, is immortal.

• Robert Rorabeck Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 9:41:00 PM) Post reply

A few of Pinter's poems can be found on Poem Hunter- Certainly he's not bad (the poem posted below is, though) . I bought a book of his poems and essays and found his poetry very good if not all together great- Better than Jim Morrison, though. His poem about War and Football which ends with kissing on the mouth is fecking excellent, however, and should be checked out.... On a entirely different subject, has anyone out there discovered the Detroit Cobras yet? I just got a couple of their CDs and boy-O do they kick ass.

• Joseph Daly Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 6:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

For an excellent piece of Christmas verse can I suggest that you have a butchers at Amberlee Spurling's 'A Politically Correct Christmas Story.

• Mary Nagy Rookie - 1st Stage (12/9/2005 6:30:00 AM) Post reply

She is amazing for her age! You're right Denis..........that is a great poem. She really is a talented writer. Very impressive. Sincerely, Mary

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 8:56:00 PM) Post reply

I'll try to get there and read it. Shepherd wrote a nice piece about that the other day, too.

• Michael Voorhis Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 4:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I am very suprised that with all of the different poets on here, Aldous Huxley has gone unnoticed here. He is a brilliant man and a brilliant poet. He didnt write insane amounts of poetry, but the 30 or so he did are absolutely amazing. heres a website for anyone intrigued.
    http: //members.tripod.com/~Raincloud771/htm/huxley.htm

• Michael Voorhis Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 4:48:00 PM) Post reply

they do have a good number of quotes by him on this site though

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 4:38:00 PM) Post reply

'Those members of a species least able to survive reproduce at the highest rate'.(Huxley) Add the climate of England and you can see how they are getting a lot of soldiers and taxpayers. Best H

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 4:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

So how about the Greatest One-line Poem, for the Guinness Book of Trivia? There were some gems. Keep at it, folks... and when you get bored with general topics, how about The Best Christmas One-liner, The Best New Year One-Liner, etc?
    Here's a Christmas one to start you off:

Why are my socks parcel-shaped after Christmas?

No, you try...

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 3:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Sure wish someone'd respond to my John F. Kennedy post, a few posts down. It brings up, for me, some really fascinating, subtle topics about psychology, that you poets could probably be insightful and eloquent about.

(There. Have I flattered you enough? But I really WOULD like to see if anyone will engage the topic.)

• Mary Nagy Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 8:25:00 PM) Post reply

Max, I don't want to take your comment into the wrong direction...........but, we just watched quite a few movies on the assassination in my history class. Am I the only one that had no idea there ... more

• Joseph Daly Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 6:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Yes Max, I recall at school all the jokes about Bobby Sands during the Hunger Strikes. These were kids from Irish backgrounds. Ulrike does have a point, youngsters are too immature to cope with deat ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 4:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I did, I did Max. We were very mature on that particular day,22 Nov 1963 and I am letting you have a glimpse. Best H

• Michael Voorhis Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 4:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I agree with Ulrike about how that is th ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 2:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

you know, we can now discard unfavourable comments, send each other private messages, get notified by email of new comments or messages, discuss our concerns in the Forum, rate each other on our work, workshop, look up countless lyrics and quotes, however

PoemHunter has not yet figured out how to eliminate the extra 'p' in dropp, nor add the final 'e' to delet.

and in spite of her flaws, i still love her!
    PoemHunter.Com, you sweet bitch, you've ruined me!

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 3:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Jake, you advisedly used the word 'discard' instead of PH's other bogey-word - 'delete'..

• Ernestine Northover Rookie - 1st Stage (12/8/2005 3:44:00 PM) Post reply

Thank you a.jacob because I couldn't understand why I deleted the second P in dropp and it was back again in full force, I tried quite a few times and in the end substituted another word, which wasn't ... more

[Hata Bildir]