Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/6/2006 4:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 6 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Question:
    Occasionally, someone will ask for help or a (private) critique on their poem, just hatched.
    And, also occasionally, the helper ends up contributing significantly or less or more to the final version of the poem.
    Realising that the work still belongs to the original author, is there any obligation (or courtesy) to mention the collaboration?
    Opinions invited
    Best
    Herbert

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie John Kay (1/7/2006 9:52:00 AM) Post reply

No, except maybe in the front of a book if the help stretched through many poems.

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/7/2006 3:41:00 AM) Post reply

I don't think so myself. I have welcomed suggestions by other poets on this site and in most cases I have altered my works. I have thanked them through my messaging. Mary is more onto this issue I ... more

• Rookie Jeremiah Shine (1/6/2006 9:41:00 PM) Post reply

Maybe it's the original impetus of the piece that's important. The person who brought it down or out so to speak. Tightening of phrases, punctuation, a better word don't matter. Now if Wordsworth h ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (1/6/2006 8:32:00 PM) Post reply

i rewrote a poem for a young poet and he ... more

• Rookie Rusty Daily (1/6/2006 5:57:00 PM) Post reply

If the collaborators words were added to ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (1/6/2006 5:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think if the person helps with the act ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (1/6/2006 12:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

Mary asked for poems about Inspiraton recently, and got a strong response.

I'd like to request some poems about lunchboxes.: -)

• Rookie John Kay (1/6/2006 9:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

If you're in the mood for a powerful poem by one of our own, check out Dreux Moreland's 'informal #3.'

• Rookie Lori Boulard (1/6/2006 10:27:00 AM) Post reply

There's another good one by Jeremiah Shine called Vines, brand new; subtle, but with lots of 'layers'.

• Rookie Sarah Munafo (1/6/2006 8:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

This may not be a poem, but I feel it's poetry. I've just finished reading Ishiguro's 'Never Let Me Go' (for the nth time) . I've read it twice with my literature group, and am about to start it again for another literature group - sucker for punishment, I know. The problem it, I really need to discuss it with mother-tongue English speakers, because I've done too much explaining, and I want someone to hash it out with. (I'm an English teacher - does that explain the cry for help?)
    Anyhow, if anybody's got the time and the inclination, I'd be dead pleased.

• Rookie Blondie Bonkers (1/6/2006 7:14:00 PM) Post reply

wow..thats cool...

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (1/6/2006 10:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sarah, it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but there are already 36 valuable responses from customers (and rated by others) on the Amazon.co.uk site under this author and book. Would that ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (1/6/2006 10:27:00 AM) Post reply

Sarah, I misunderstood your post, I thought a poem was coming up. One support is sometimes the Amazon site or the publishers' site, where reviews by respected critics get quoted. And I haven't inve ... more

• Rookie Poetry Hound (1/6/2006 8:59:00 AM) Post reply

Darn, I've been meaning to read that boo ... more

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/6/2006 5:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I must say that, having just watched a most wonderful movie, for those who have the chance......take it.
    It is called Fly Away Home.
    What a perfect portrayal of so many things, a girl's coming of age, utilising her motherly insticts, a flock of geese that she rescued and watched hatching, the movie is just so good. Please watch it.
    Best
    H

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (1/6/2006 7:12:00 AM) Post reply

I guess it symbolizes your relationship to the Forum, Herbert. Is it a dramatization of The Snow Goose, by, I think, Peter Scott, which is a classic from the 1950s which we all read and loved for its ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (1/6/2006 5:53:00 AM) Post reply

I agree Herbert! That's a tear-jerker though! I loved it (so did the kids) . I'm suprised thats the type of movie you would like! :)

• Veteran Poet - 1,195 Points Jerry Hughes (1/6/2006 1:20:00 AM) Post reply

A J S, happy new ear to your earing aid. Nubiles? You'd be mad not to get arrested for having evil thoughts. Naughty Allan. Cheers, Jerry

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (1/6/2006 12:21:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

herbert a young woman keeps sending me emails and keeps calling me hebert
    her name is helan Araomi could you tell her i dont deal with young nubile women of too tender an age i only deal with with grown up women not that i dont have a soft spot for the young ones

• Rookie Joseph Daly (1/6/2006 4:13:00 AM) Post reply

Hmmm. It would seems to me that we have another Nikhel on our hands with Helen. I like to think I have my finger on the pulse of literature in Britain, I've never heard of her, even though she is desc ... more

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/6/2006 12:42:00 AM) Post reply

I think she has a soft spot for old geezerts like us. I am awaiting the posting of her new poem. I think she is pretty famous somewhere. Best H

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (1/5/2006 8:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Now that we've read enough about poetry let me briefly return to the subject of the little skirmish. Poetryhound versus myself, known by various names, baptised Haines jr. by Sherrie.

It seems that he may have a point after all.
    Painstaking searching of the forum as well as the remaining gray matter has thrown some doubt on my assertion that P-H failed in his (though misguided) experiments last year in which he attempted to show that the system could be beaten.

I remember clearly that suspect X boasted that he could easily move up a poet on the 500 scale toward the front within (I believe it was) 24 hours.
    This did fail, big time. Although I have confirmation from four other members that this was P-H, it may not have been.
    The more I think about it the more I am convinced that suspect X may have been Andrew who wrote under a different name (Fry?) at the time.

I am really unaware of any other experiments at different times so can only comment on this one.
    Recollection is hazy as it tends to be when you are dealing with faceless people, meaning people one has not met in person.
    So, it is entirely possible that P-H was successfull in his experiments, though it does beg the question why anyone would attempt to cheat by beating the system.

The skirmish is finished, cease fire can progress to peace and there was no need to have Collette involved as I firmly believe that no one wants a forum war.
    So, P-H, if I stepped on your toes any harder than you on mine suffice it to say that it isn't hurting any more on this end and I trust the same holds true for you.
    Back to poetry.
    Best wishes
    to all and there will be no charge for the entertainment.
    Herbert

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Rookie Linda Jenkinson (1/5/2006 2:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I read today Harold Pinter is feeling better and has been eating out!

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (1/5/2006 2:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

in case there are any of you in the New Jersey/Delaware area, my friend Barbara sent this along...

Boscov's at Cumberland Mall on Delsea Drive at Route 55 in Vineland, NJ (856-327-3800) is offering a class on publishing and self-publishing on Friday, January 20,2006 from 6: 00pm to 8: 00pm. The class will be held in the auditorium and is free. The instructor is William Burns of Tri-County SCORE.

To sign up, just call!

• Rookie Mary Nagy (1/5/2006 3:15:00 PM) Post reply

That would be so nice. (Too far from me) but, I was just telling my husband that I would like to find a writing group or some type of group here in my area to have help and advice on writing. If I ... more

[Hata Bildir]