Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (11/10/2005 5:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

A wee word from cyberstuds please: I've been having trouble logging into poemhunter because of an add-on (courtesy of Microsoft, adding to its revenue) which sent me back again to an error report, and a blank screen set-up. Apologies from a Microsoft after a coupla days of error reports, and an update, which was effective for all of four hours and then back with the add-on (adserver, etc) . Then Google offers its free pop-up-popper, complete with satisfying computer-game ZAP earful. I know there is a anti-adserver program out there, but Google's seems to work for that and other nuisances - at the expense of being spywared by Google for yet more marketing offers...

Is there a cyber-war going on out there? I'd back Google, which has enabled me to write a small book full of historical actuality entirely from my seat here...

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (11/10/2005 1:14:00 PM) Post reply

thanks, but it's not the familiar PH gremlins, it's a new one which diverts the click-on to PH from PH to adserve's latest window...maddening, may you all be spared...

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/10/2005 6:34:00 AM) Post reply

I am not a cyberstud, maybe a cyberwienie, I am getting error messages intermittently lately on P/H also the occasional poem wants to disappear. I usually save them now before clicking submit. It may ... more

• allan james saywell (11/9/2005 10:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello hello, whats this then a book coming out without a orgasm in it you bunch of grapes didn't even give me a thought well i tell you put a couple of poems from an old dog who hates organized religeon gave him a uniform to wear
    just like superman never even sent me a email well my poems as a result of this will become somewhat darker like a bloody thunderstorm taxi yes you with the wheelbarrow you'll do

• Michael Shepherd (11/10/2005 6:33:00 AM) Post reply

hello allan is this a concealed request to be considered for the anthology which you were invited to join last week and fluffed about?

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 10:29:00 PM) Post reply

feel better now i'v just been out the back drinking a couple of flagons
    sheries idea i gave myself a couple of upper cuts now i'm ready to write

• Max Reif (11/9/2005 9:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I re-read the Bukowski poem 'poetry readings' and I still feel that it's great people write poetry and get together to read it, whether they ever become as famous as Bukowski. Maybe they're more worthy than he is, because they keep doing it out of love. Anyway... (maybe there's something I'm not getting. I personally went to a lot of poetry readings during one period of my life, but it was the 'fast lane' and competetive aspect that got to me, in SF, eventually, rather than the things Bukowski mentions.)

But I see that most of you appreciate his work (some with qualifications) , and that leaves me feeling I should read more of it.

• allan james saywell (11/9/2005 11:14:00 PM) Post reply

YOU WILL FIND ACTORS AT THE ACADEMY AWARDS AND PEOPLE WHO MAKE SPEECHES YOU WILL NOT FIND ANY POETS, POETS ARE SITTING DOWN WRITING POETRY SINGERS ARE SINGING SONGS PERHAPS WE SHOULD WRITE CHILDRENS ... more

• allan james saywell (11/9/2005 8:23:00 PM) Post reply

hello everbody i say to all of you goody goody gumdrops i'm back how are you all not violent i hope there is enough violence in the world without you poets
    resorting to the old biff i see you are working on a book for poem hunter what a funky wunky idea who was the brilliant person who thought of it it wasn't
    the old hound old sniffer himself do you know they are working on a uniform that he can wear while he does the comments on bob gotti it has two huge wings
    on white lace with a black bible on the front and back and a pair of flippers
    when he walks on water catch you later aligators

• Graham Leese (11/9/2005 6:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Good work on the book guys, nice to see the site evolving.

• ***** ********* (11/9/2005 5:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

I was just wondering! I am really enjoying this site with one exception and that is, when I get a comment on my work, I have to search to find it, in order to thank the writer. It is very time consuming and I have RSI which is a pain. Is there a way of asking nicely for the management to provide an email alert to comments on particular pieces. Just a thought. This was the only sensible forum I thought appropriate. Smiling hopefully Tai

• ***** ********* (11/10/2005 3:56:00 AM) Post reply

Hey Poetry Coward, You think you are so big don't ya? Big bully picking on little widow kick your scrawny arse, with limp wrists tied behind back Tai Chi Italy. There is nothing worse than a jealous ... more

• Max Reif (11/9/2005 9:39:00 PM) Post reply

Tai, please don't worry about that guy below and his inappropriate comment.

• Michael Shepherd (11/9/2005 6:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

At the moment, Tai, as you have probably discovered, the least complicated method is to go to your own home page once every few days, and click on the poems marked 'NEW'. That way you catch the most l ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 6:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hello TAI my little sweet pea yes someth ... more

• Declan McHenry (11/9/2005 5:52:00 PM) Post reply

I think that's a great idea. I'd certain ... more

• ***** ***** (11/9/2005 5:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I have just read back over the last couple of pages here and I have to ask:

Are we going to continue hashing out this pointless argument about non-agreeable comments to our poems here on PH? For goodness sake - maybe there should be a choice to exclude the option for comments if people only want to hear wonderful things. Pleeeeease people - your work can only improve if you accept that faults will always be a part of your evolution as a writer.

None of us is a perfect/exemplary/superlative poet.

I think people should really consider whether they want to receive honest commentary before they post to a public website for poetry. This argument is coming up time and time again.... 'Oh dear, someone gave me some bad comments' Surely comments are a reader's right....?

(yes, before anyone is quick to jump down my net-throat, I have reacted badly when I got a bunch of inexplicable '1's with no comment - that is a little different)

Can we leave the hypersensitivity to criticism behind?

S.

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 6:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

just give them a one like you do sonja that should be good enough make everyone happy

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/9/2005 5:40:00 PM) Post reply

I agree 111 % Sonja. I personally do not like criticism and I suspect few poeple outside the masochistic society do. However, getiing critiqued by Raynette, John Kay and other fair dinkum and competen ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/9/2005 5:29:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Just got up and still squeezing my thyroid (through yawning) . Missed the skirmishes I must say I regret.
    Personally, as far as John Kay goes, I find him to be perched near the very top on this site. He lives in Germany where people are more judgmental than in most other places but I have yet to see a comment from him that did not reek of helpfulness, of constructive criticism, I for one would be happy if he took the time to look at a few more of mine, no question.
    As to the one who was so bothered and showed clear and present signs of the Vapours (a neuropeptide messenger disruption) I have found, to my consternation, that she is perched near the borderline of borderline, if you get my drift.
    Perhaps the age given is incorrect, that would explain some of her reactions and, perhaps, some of her poetry.
    I have been called names by her as well so it is really nothing to worry about,
    my crime was to point out the atrociously poor quality of her attempts to present poetry in German.
    So, after these brief comments (call them anti-inflammatory 'spade' comments) I shall go and teach a class (not poetry) . I needed that little bit of adrenalin.
    Best wishes to all and especially to Sherrie for this day, it's that kind of a day.
    H

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 5:33:00 PM) Post reply

DID SHE CALL YOU SOURKRAUTE HERBERT OR SOMETHING WORSE WHY DONT YOU JUST MARRY THE WOMAN AND BE DONE WITH IT, THERE IS NOT A GREAT LINE DRAWN BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 4:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Good to see you back Gerry your talent has left a void in the rank and file
    of poem hunter, NOTICE I GAVE YOUR NAME A CAPITAL

[Hata Bildir]