Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (11/18/2005 4:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Why is it that all the locker-jock stuff on this site comes from Australia? Is it something in the water?

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (11/18/2005 5:28:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Well, whatever, it reduces the poetic ascent of Olympus to a mere floor-ride.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/18/2005 5:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Well, let's see now Michael. Melbourne, home of poet Jerry is totally fluoridated. This is equivalent to being lobotomised. That's why I think that Jerry is imbibing foreign liquids. Allan is right on ... more

• Jerry Hughes (11/17/2005 10:29:00 PM) Post reply Stage

As the predilection for testis pesists, here's a Christmas poem in context:

T'was Christmas night in the harem
    and the eunuchs stood in a row -
    polishing dainty nipples -
    and brushing the hair below.
    In strode the mighty Sultan -
    right through the great seven halls.
    'What would you like for a Christmas present? '
    And the eunuchs shouted, BALLS!

• Mary Nagy (11/17/2005 7:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies Stage

I just wanted to say...Last week in class we were discussing poetry (my teacher HATES poetry) but I had my 'book' of poetry in my bag. I have all my poems in a home-made book (a three ring binder holding all my poems printed out in categories...decorated sorta scrapbooky) ...obviously a homemade effort. But, a woman in my class asked if she could read it....I let her take it home and I have to admit I was REALLY nervous to go to class tonight to see what she thought of my poems. I just wondered if you guys (and gals) here have had similar experiences when you first started sharing your poems 'in person'. I really sweated it out this weekend wondering how stupid is she thinking I am? ? ? What kind of nut am I coming acrossed to her as? ? ? Very stressful! I was so...happy to hear her say her (and her husband) liked my book but, I was suprised how my nerves were crazy at the thought of somebody really sitting down with my soul exposed right in front of them. (I hope this makes sense) . It seemed weird to me since I post here all the time and don't really experience the worries like I did over this past week. Just curious if this was just expected when you start letting people really read your work..........? Sincerely, Mary

• Max Reif (11/18/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Here's a really touching incident from my PH bio, about 'bringing home' my first, hand-made little book of poems: *** By now, YOUNG MAN GONE WEST was almost finished. A little more writing and a ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/18/2005 6:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

i avoided all of the anxiety by first submitting poems for publication to which i had no emotional attachment. after those were published, i ventured out to the open mic stages with vulgar, silly bal ... more

• Alice Vedral Rivera (11/18/2005 12:22:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I feel the same way Mary. And now my family wants me to start reciting my poetry to them - just thinking about it makes my stomach churn - I've usually been able to get my nieces to recite it (they p ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/17/2005 8:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Oh don't we all...isn't it weird? It's l ... more

To read all of 5 replies click here
  • Christine Anderson (11/17/2005 6:04:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi everyone. Since this is my first forum post, I don't know if there are other songwriters here, or how you feel about songwriting... but I've written a lot of poems, which I set to music, and I'd like to invite you all to take a listen.

All you have to do is visit the link and turn on your speakers. ~: o)

www.christineanderson.net

~: o) Christine

• Jerry Hughes (11/17/2005 5:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

I'll probably draw flack for this observation, but it seems the tone of, and the language used in the forum has deteriorated, with an overt predilection for the nether regions. I wondered why. Could someone elucidate?

• Michael Shepherd (11/18/2005 4:12:00 AM) Post reply Stage

..and have you noticed that most of it emanates from Australia? Some sorta compensation thingy I guess.

• Jerry Hughes (11/17/2005 5:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Indeed Andrew, almost a, 'dad's out, mum's out, let's talk dirty' syndrome. C'est la vie

• Allan James Saywell (11/17/2005 2:57:00 PM) Post reply Stage

hello sorry i'm late just been reading a poem about some guy who dropped his wait for it, his balls in some wet cement on the walk of fame, dont worry it set real quick and he has left his brains behind

• Allan James Saywell (11/17/2005 1:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

morning fruit bats, fruit flys, disillusioned poets and disturbed people who
    think about hanging from telegraph lines just after six in the morning in the
    lucky country there is a little rain about this morning might get my soccer
    ball out and practise might have to kick a bit of English butt

• Michael Shepherd (11/17/2005 10:35:00 AM) Post reply Stage

To their credit, our Oxfam shops sell Fair Trade products. I guess it's the new form of modest charity donations - buying organic and fair trade products for those few cents more. African producers who were initially happy to take the steady supermarket trade (though mange-tout are going out of fashion...) find that there's now a relentless pressure by competing supermarkets to drive producer prices down...and that, in what are by African standards huge one-product farms...aarrgghh.

• Poetry Hound (11/17/2005 10:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Here are some more great lines from recently submitted poems. There certainly is some real originality and talent on this site.

there are twenty clones of the Archangel Gabriel
    glued to TV screens glazed over and blue
    like some kind of stale, electric doughnut
    strung out on commercial candy
    -from Untitled 2 by Paul Slinski

I grappled with ignorant
    geometries of flight-path
    for the words to describe the future,
    -from Augury by Richard George

like I am a cave
    accepting bats made of memory,
    accepting their flapping as my dream-state.
    -from Visitations And Silence by Lamont Palmer

the bodies of the real estate agents hanging
    upside-down from the telephone wires,
    -from Tucson by Jefferson Carter

i am drier than Wordsworth,
    with his book length poems
    and search for all systems
    -from untitled by Ben Dover (Adam Reynolds)

He always had resembled a bearded gnome.
    Perhaps he’s sitting, malcontent, in someone’s garden.
    Having pulverised the other gnomes.
    -from Brian & the philosophy of 'the cunt' by Andrew Konisberg

His students loved him
    Welcomed the contagion from his hands
    -from For Gordon 1930 - 2005 by Tony Jennett

• Michael Shepherd (11/17/2005 10:39:00 AM) Post reply Stage

These, PH, are, imho, really good, and the sort of metaphorical inspiration that keeps me on this site for a quick steal, despite my deeep greeen envy..congratulations guys, through my grinded teeth.

• Marcy Jarvis (11/17/2005 10:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

What is FAIR TRADE COFFEE? If you are interested, read attached:

• Poetry Hound (11/17/2005 10:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Your next assignment is to research 'shade grown' coffee.

• Marcy Jarvis (11/17/2005 10:20:00 AM) Post reply Stage

this is from their website: The United States consumes one-fifth of all the world's coffee, making it the largest consumer in the world. But few Americans realize that agriculture workers in the coff ... more

[Hata Bildir]