Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/22/2005 3:02:00 AM) Post reply

I think you will all agree that the LULU production is flawless.
    The shipping was a different story though.
    I am ready to go for the next one.
    The intro by Michael adds a superb touch to the book and the rather modest bio's, all very well done.
    Relatives impressed, wife serves more wine in the glass (I do like servants) (: -))
    Great for Christmas.
    Best
    H

• Jeremiah Shine (12/21/2005 7:52:00 PM) Post reply

I'm having trouble getting access!

• Michael Shepherd (12/21/2005 6:53:00 PM) Post reply

4.15 site time, and access to this site has practically ground to a halt!

• Rookie - 1st Stage Alice Vedral Rivera (12/21/2005 5:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I would like to wish everyone safe and joyous Holidays with many blessings in the coming New Year. May everyone's font of creativity flow profusely and may Erato visit often. I am busy with family from out of town, and to top that off, I slipped and tore the ligaments in my ankle (with a possible hairline fracture) so I won't be around for a while - have to keep my foot elevated, iced, etc. Peace and Love - avr

Replies for this message:
    • Lori Boulard (12/21/2005 11:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sorry to hear about your ankle, Alice. Have some wine - always works for me - and relax. Seems that's the theme this season so you're probably not missing much anyway! Happy holidays.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Max Reif (12/21/2005 4:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Some people felt that 'Recent History', the poem I posted earlier today, was something like a farewell to Poemhunter. I didn't feel that way. It was just a statement that, right now, I don't seem to have the 'key' for turning feelings and ideas into words, and doing so has not been my first priority of late.

All I do, when I do write (or paint, which I've begun doing a bit of lately, after a long hiatus) , is to try to be faithful to the present moment and, I guess, the Soul, though life's complications and my limitations frequently make
    that challenging. I'm a believer that 'happiness is an inside job'. From time to time, it also just gets up and moves camp, from where one is contentedly ensconsed, and that necessitates change.

So I'm in a period of change, but that doesn't mean I won't be posting poems frequently again. Living in the Present (which I wish I could do better) often means, of course, not knowing WHAT the future holds.

Everybody seemed to have a different take on 'Recent History', which I suppose is not at all unusual.

• Lori Boulard (12/21/2005 11:44:00 PM) Post reply

My motto of the moment is 'Begin. The rest is easy.' OK, it was a fortune cookie, but for once it made sense. Life is not a destination, but a journey. The lucky ones actually get off their duff a ... more

• Michael Shepherd (12/21/2005 6:33:00 PM) Post reply

Uncertainty, inertia, and yearning go with this time of year, as the Earth pulls round the sharp bend in the circuit?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/21/2005 6:04:00 PM) Post reply

Happy 40th or fiftieth, Max. Change brings things hoped for and things unwanted. Best wishes H

• Poetry Hound (12/21/2005 5:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

If folks haven't checked out Max's web s ... more

• Joseph Daly (12/21/2005 4:59:00 PM) Post reply

Glad to hear that Max

• Rookie - 1st Stage Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/20/2005 8:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I have had a brief interlude from commitments and had a look at a recent gift.
    It's called 'Australian Poems - In His Own Words' by AJS.
    It is very pleasant reading, well illustrated and most pages bare fragments of the soul of Allan.

Now, all I need is the discip[line to wait three days before I tackle Jefferson's book.

Best
    H

• allan james saywell (12/20/2005 8:57:00 PM) Post reply

thank you Herbert you are more then kind as i told you the book was written when i had a small body of work and i was untainted by life but the poems are pure in thought and can be read by both chil ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (12/20/2005 5:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

What a special day today - Jake and I had lunch together!

• Max Reif (12/20/2005 9:16:00 PM) Post reply

Didn't know he was over there. that's wonderful, warms my heart, too.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Max Reif (12/20/2005 3:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Thanks for all your replies. It seems to me we're all quite vulnerable, and if one isn't, I'd like to know the secret (and not sure I'd want to trade) .

I'm trying to raise my (natural) emotional responses to human situations to a higher level, but it seems a long haul. I'm prone to all human feelings. Goethe, I think, wrote that he could never read of a crime without realizing he could have committed it. (I don't know if I could go quite that far, though.)

• Michael Shepherd (12/20/2005 4:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sure there's a remedy. Have zero self-esteem. Then if anyone AT all likes what you wrote, it's the greatest thing in the world - you feel like a dog that's been unclaimed in the dog pound all its life ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Max Reif (12/20/2005 10:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

BEING IN A GROUP (this one) is ego-deflating.
    It's meant acknowledging that most people don't see me as the greatest poet who has ever lived,
    nor do they see me as an intellectual heavyweight whose words make everyone else hush and listen.

Coming out of the isolation of being 'a legend in one's own mind' has that price for most of us, I would think. It's a valuable process. Most of us are somewhere on the continuum, neither the brightest, nor the dullest. I suppose every time I post a poem, it is with the hope that THIS time the FIRE will burn into everyone's skull and they will SEE. Some do, some don't. As yet, the entire world does not stand in unanimous agreement with my ego's opinion of me.

It's all part of the *crucifixion* of the ego, I suppose you can call it, on the altar of the (higher) SELF.

• Joseph Daly (12/20/2005 2:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Max, how many people who comment on work, talk about iambic, metre, etc. Not many. For most that sort of thing is innately comprehended, it is the lack of knowledge that stops people from going too ... more

• Mary Nagy (12/20/2005 1:48:00 PM) Post reply

Max, I think you make an interesting point. I was suprised to see how ''transparent'' people seem to view me. I won't say I had a ''legend in one's own mind'' idea of me......on the contrary. I g ... more

• Ben Cassel (12/20/2005 11:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Max, It is only those who are capable of self-assessment who see what you have described. That is not a weakness you possess. The fact that you recognize the continual crucifixion of the ego and g ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Rookie - 1st Stage Cherie-Anne Dearden (12/20/2005 5:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hi all... Found this site today and very glad that i did... Looks like a great place.
    Cherie

• Cherie-Anne Dearden (12/20/2005 7:54:00 AM) Post reply

Thanx Mary. Must build some courage before posting anything... New girl must learn the ropes first... hehe...

• Mary Nagy (12/20/2005 5:57:00 AM) Post reply

Hi cherie! Yep, it really is a great site. Hopefully you'll enjoy it. I'll watch for you to post some poems. :) Mary

[Hata Bildir]