Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Philips (11/28/2005 6:21:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

On the subject of poetry, I wonder if people would mind reading and critiquing/commenting on a poem I just posted called 'No Hands Restaurant, Hanoi.' It's a work in progress and I have already received some excellent advice from Jefferson Carter. Thanks very much in advance (It's kind of long - sorry) .

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (11/28/2005 7:06:00 AM) Post reply

Was Jane Fonda staying there at the same time? I hope so, if you're going to continue the story... Hey, read it, everybody! It's serious fun!

• Michael Shepherd (11/28/2005 4:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I offer three suggestions for the benefit of the Forum and its members:

1 Ignore all unpleasant remarks from others, and also unpleasant remarks about others;

2 If you think the Forum is boring, then make a useful contribution;

3 Read the description of the purpose of this 'Poetics and Poetry Discussion' as written above and follow it.

• Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (11/28/2005 1:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Movers, thinkers and shakers, I believe we've reached a crisis when writers of the caliber of Mahnaz, remove their work from the site. To be replaced by the irrational ramblings of heroin warped minds?

If this what the people behind Poemhunter really want, they're welcome. But they should name change the site to, Drug-Found. Makes consummate sense.

• Joseph Daly (11/28/2005 4:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

This is a tragic situation and one that I am shocked at. I was in touch with Mahnaz and got the strong impression that she was not going to move from the site. I hope she reconsiders as her work i ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/28/2005 1:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Regardless of what anyone may think about this, it would be far better for P/H to have Mahnaz come back and stay. The more good people we have here the better the site and the more enjoyment in the en ... more

• Allan James Saywell Rookie - 1st Stage (11/27/2005 11:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

now have a look at breaker morant a poet who resided in Australia he was a horsebreaker by trade and a british fellow born in britain but adopted by Australians as one of them they court martialed him and had him shot for
    doing what soldiers do best kill the enemy they passed the buck the people at the top of the tree passed the buck down to breaker morant who they shot
    he was only obeying orders the movie is worth seeing he was a charactor
    i always think of him as Australian a man of courage, not a man of straw

• Michael Shepherd (11/28/2005 4:56:00 AM) Post reply

Allan, why not select one of Morant's poems which you admire so that we can discuss it on this forum?

• Joseph Daly (11/28/2005 4:42:00 AM) Post reply

Saw the film, knew of Breaker and agree with you entirely Allan.

• Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (11/27/2005 11:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Mahnaz, don't let that piece of garbage calling itself True American drive you away. He, she, or more likely it is a coward, who doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to name itself, other than with a bullshit pseudonym. In fact I stepped onto something on a pavement today, that looked and smelled exactly like this True American thing would. Keep smiling kiddo. Love, Jerry

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/28/2005 1:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I second the motion Jerry. Unfortunately, I know so little about computers that I can't even follow this ISP baloney. All I know is that I saw the entity (to use a neutral word) AND Mahnaz on the ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/27/2005 11:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Good on you gerry for supporting her she needs a little support we should rally behind her hell if england can shoot up on site with that coats and all there bullshit crikie i didn't even read it the ... more

• Allan James Saywell Rookie - 1st Stage (11/27/2005 6:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

herbert is a fine poet and a friend of mine and if you come at a friend of mine i will be there for him because i look after my friends i dont slink under a rock dont look at any of my alter ego's in the same breath as pearson
    england coates who wipes his ass orgy asm shoots from the hip doesn't attack any ones country so sherie be carefull who you make comparisons with be
    a grasseater in your own turf

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/27/2005 8:17:00 PM) Post reply

What did I miss? Always glad to hear that I am a fine poet (come on people, don't be shy) and I appreciate it even more coming from you, Allan. As you can see, even the girls love you. My aunt Hu ... more

• Ben Cassel (11/27/2005 7:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

You know, if communication were even a secondary concern when you write, you would make sure that your comments did not sound as if you put them through a cheese grater before you sent them.

• Tommie G Rookie - 1st Stage (11/27/2005 6:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey, would anyone know about where I can find Edna Millay's views on the social more of her time and place? Much appreciated.

• Ben Cassel (11/27/2005 7:38:00 PM) Post reply

Millay was a pacifist until World War II, when she became something of a war-booster. She wrote a great deal of bad (for her) poetry about the Nazis and Japanese, and some of her poetry and commenta ... more

• Allan James Saywell Rookie - 1st Stage (11/27/2005 5:45:00 PM) Post reply

well have to go find a phone box so so i can change from airoplane jelly
    into cartier diamond a new super hero i invented but first a coffee

• Allan James Saywell Rookie - 1st Stage (11/27/2005 4:47:00 PM) Post reply

i wrote a poem this morning on a mother wanting to give her son one last hug
    and the powers to be in that country wont allow it yet they allow terrorists full rights to sit in there cells and be embraced by there beliefs does that sound like a double standard i always say what i think no matter what and
    my name will be there for all to see

• Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (11/27/2005 3:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Someone deleted my previous but let me reiterate, this forum has got boring - boring - boring - BORING! Yawnnnnnn

• Allan James Saywell (11/27/2005 5:28:00 PM) Post reply

Was it a Turk or was it father christmas or was it the protecter of public morals or perhaps that hardworking young man manual labour

• Michael Shepherd (11/27/2005 4:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey Jerry, that's not like you! Still taking those Grope-Nuts for brekky I hope? Maybe we're all busy writing our Christmas Pulitzer Crackers...enjoy the peace and goodwill! chizmate, Michael

[Hata Bildir]