Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Jerry Hughes (10/7/2005 6:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Changing tack: The Paul England saga is getting more then a tad boring. So Movers and Shakers, here's a poem by Mal Morgan. Someone who knew about writing great poetry:

TEARS

I cried the tears
    of a child
    when I learned
    my chilhood
    would no longer
    cradel me.
    Salt of the earth
    water
    from my subterranean
    stream.

Now my tears
    neither diminish
    nor empower me.
    I am still
    somewant shorter
    than a tree
    taller
    than a stone.

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/7/2005 8:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I cried the tears of yesterday. And as they dropped they called to let me know that they had reached the soil that had empowered me and, thus, they would sink in to greater depths than man would ... more

• Allan James Saywell (10/6/2005 9:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

my poem about the differences about the English language between Americans and
    the british is posted 'MARCIE'

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (10/6/2005 7:01:00 PM) Post reply

If you want to read a really wonderful poem, check out Michael Gessner's 'Promiscuity.' I know my bad girl Sherrie will be piqued by the title, but there's so much more going on here besides smut although the sexuality of the piece helps it shine. JC

• Marcy Jarvis (10/6/2005 8:46:00 AM) Post reply

Does anyone know of a (preferably humorous) poem about the differences between British and American English? Or maybe feel moved to compose one?

• Michael Shepherd (10/6/2005 7:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Those who see the same edition of the New York Times as I today Thursday, will see a front-page picture of Mary's inner self greeting the day...

• Michael Shepherd (10/6/2005 1:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sorry, folks - my edition has a colour photo of a joyful Buddhist figure from Bhutan I think (where the ruler counts happiness in with the Gross National Product...) throwing up his arms in delight.. ... more

• Mary Nagy (10/6/2005 7:21:00 AM) Post reply

Ok, I'm hoping it's online.......what edition are you looking at? I'm afraid to look (but you know I'm gonna!) Mary

• Mary Nagy (10/5/2005 9:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 9 replies

I just thought I would ask has anyone had the experience of posting a couple poems fairly close together...........yet have them get totally different response? I always think it is so strange....for example, today I posted 2 very different poems....(honestly, not to 'plug' them) but, the first one I posted was a very serious poem about my mom and my gut feelings of torment where she is concerned...........No comments///one vote. The other poem I posted a few minutes late was just sort of an after-thought about poetry. Not serious at all and it has a few comments and votes. It is so weird to post a poem that you really feel your heart is placed out there for the world to see and have it get ignored and then put a poem out there that you almost hope the world don't see and it gets noticed...........it just goes to show that you really never know what people will find of interest from one day to the next. Interesting...... Mary

• Ernestine Northover (10/6/2005 2:24:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Mary, I find with my poetry, that my longer ones, or the ones I like best are not the ones that get read. I've got quite a few long ones, not that long, but not two or three verses, and there have ... more

• Mary Nagy (10/6/2005 5:46:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks to all who commented. I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I suppose it's true....the person's mood does determine which poems they'll select to read and enjoy. I'm sure some of my 'downer' p ... more

• Gol Mcadam (10/6/2005 5:31:00 AM) Post reply

Mary, I also have had this experience. The poem concerned was written directly from a moment of emotion - it was not something that had happened previously and I had returned to. The thing is, I did g ... more

• Michael Shepherd (10/6/2005 4:56:00 AM) Post reply

Mary, I think you have to allow for two ... more

• Marcy Jarvis (10/6/2005 3:09:00 AM) Post reply

It's fascinating what will hit you one t ... more

• Raynette Eitel (10/5/2005 10:42:00 PM) Post reply

It happens to me all the time, Mary. Th ... more

• Allan James Saywell (10/5/2005 9:41:00 PM) Post reply

an example one of my most popular poems ... more

• Lori Boulard (10/5/2005 9:37:00 PM) Post reply

Mary, I had the same experience when I s ... more

To read all of 9 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/5/2005 7:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

i have been corrosponding with a chinese fellow i sent him one of my early works of poetry, a poem called 'GENTLY' i sent him the poem because it was a descriptive poem on nature and he was impressed which is good in the fact that he is very well educated and the poem was read to him via a interpretor
    i would love to know how the poem was read to him in chinese or english
    he now has poem hunter as a means to poetry which is good imagine cracking the chinese market

• Michael Shepherd (10/5/2005 4:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

'Who Shakespeare? ' studies have never quite been the same since Caryl Brahms wrote her deliciously funny book 'No Bed for Bacon'. The pertinent question is whether WS was born an all-knowing genius, or whether he picked up knowledge at lightning speed from wise companions such as Mary Sidney, Countess of Pembroke, down at Wilton House when the theatres were closed in a plague year; near Southampton with its regular galley trade with Venice...he must have been a wonderful listener to all sorts and condition of humankind.

• Linda Jenkinson (10/5/2005 7:00:00 PM) Post reply

it amazes me no-one had access to a dictionary...yet had so much beautiful language

• Allan James Saywell (10/5/2005 5:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

just had a look at bukowski's photo in his profile, i thought i was looking in a mirror all except for the tea cosy on his head, when i saw the photo i said daddy it's me

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/4/2005 10:15:00 PM) Post reply

Hi, all:
    Having a problem agai with either this site or my computer.Last time I deleted the cookies and the problem was fixed.This time it did not work.
    I can read forum, inbox but not poems as main page does not come up. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    H

[Hata Bildir]