Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Poetry Hound (11/4/2005 8:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

At the risk of stating something unpopular, and knowing that this might anger Sherrie, my good buddy who is being published by Dogma Publications, I nevertheless have to say that Dogma Publications looks like one of those outfits that accepts almost anything sent in and then makes its money by selling you the book in which your poem was 'published.' True, they don't require you to buy the book like many such outfits do. But that's definitely how they make their money. Since there is no indication in their publications list of what poets are being published in their anthologies, why on earth would anyone buy one of these anonymous black-box books unless they know their poem is in it? Adding further to my suspicious, the dogmapublications.com website mentions not a single poet by name and has no links to other poetry sites. I don't think they care about poetry. They care about getting you to buy the books in which your poems are published. If folks think I'm wrong, please let me know.

Replies for this message:
    • Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 9:45:00 AM) Post reply

Well, I figure they can only 'scam' you if you allow it. I won't buy their books.....but I'll surely allow them to publish my poetry in them. I know there are people out there buying them whether it ... more

• Raynette Eitel (11/4/2005 9:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I don't know a thing about dogma but I do avoid poetry.com like the plague. It is disgusting. I know a sweet little lady who thinks she writes great poetry because they keep sending her awards and s ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 9:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Well, I'm pretty sure each poem I've ever submitted has been 'supposedly' published into one of their anthologies and I sincerely doubt if each one was 'print-worthy' I've even seen some poems that yo ... more

• Marcy Jarvis (11/4/2005 8:49:00 AM) Post reply

Poetry.com publishes everything? Actual ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 8:33:00 AM) Post reply

Well, you're probably right P/H. I don' ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 7:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sherrie,
    When your poem was published by dogma.......did you buy the book? If so, do you mind if I ask how much did they charged for shipping?

• Poetry Hound (11/4/2005 9:52:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, Sherrie has vowed to beat me at Nude Scrabble ever since I beat her at Strip Monopoly. But it won't be easy to beat me. She knows I'll be stiff competition and won't get caught with my pants down ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 5:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

I have a question that I hope to get some opinions on: What do we consider plagerism? If we write something that somebody says they've read somewhere before (just a phrase) although we've never read it before.....is that plagerism? Surely this can't be. A line in my last poem reads:

I'd trade them my tomorrows
    if that gained them one more day.

And Herbert says he's read it before.......that it's not originally from me. Does that insinuate plagerism? I guess I'm a little confused because the line 'I love you' would have been plagerised thousands of times. I don't think Herbert was accusing me of copying it on purpose but it brings some questions to my mind about what can you really write that hasn't been written at least once before? Any thoughts? Sincerely, Mary

• Richard George (11/5/2005 5:35:00 AM) Post reply

The lines are originally from the song 'Me And Bobby McGee'. Janis Joplin did it I think and the Grateful Dead as well. It's very easy for lines like this in songs to smuggle themselves into your memo ... more

• Max Reif (11/4/2005 7:50:00 AM) Post reply

Well, in the short story reading and writing class I took when I was 15, my teacher listed 9 themes and said all literature expresses those themes. (Somebody else said there are really only 2 themes, ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 6:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Herbert, I know you consider plagerism to be a VERY serious matter.....so, when you said that you don't consider that last part of my poem to be my original work, yes, I took it pretty serious. I'm ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/4/2005 6:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mary, don't take things so seriously. He ... more

• Marcy Jarvis (11/4/2005 6:04:00 AM) Post reply

yes, I'm always afraid the dictionary pe ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/4/2005 4:10:00 AM) Post reply

haiku or senryu?
    only one
    can see two

• Allan James Saywell (11/3/2005 11:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hello all you titless men how are yous i'm going to lodge a protest by burning what is left of my only pair of undies i'm protesting about my fingers getting caught in the wire of every bra i try to undo i believe it to be a health risk

• Allan James Saywell (11/3/2005 5:10:00 PM) Post reply

women relax you dont need a bra when you have me for a dozen eggs i will
    walk behind you holding your mammories exacty where you want them

• Michael Shepherd (11/3/2005 10:14:00 AM) Post reply

...er.. what are we arguing about? A piece of poetry news? Scum again? Fluoride as herbicide?

• Marcy Jarvis (11/3/2005 8:16:00 AM) Post reply

Herbert thinks he knows something about the ink spot at the Wartburg. LOL.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/3/2005 8:16:00 AM) Post reply

Well, I must go now Marcy. You need to pick on someone of roughly your own intelligence level (perhaps some of the backwoods of Bavaria) but don't try your luck in the Wartburg region. My ancestors would not take kindly to a foreigner of your type and do have minimum requirements. I shudder when I think that you might stick a wad of Wrigley's onto the ink spot.
    Adieu
    H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/3/2005 8:10:00 AM) Post reply

Why do you always run and hide Marcy? Didn't you want mother to see your offerings in the forum?
    See below:
    Marcy Jarvis (11/3/2005 7: 51: 00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Herbert claims to be one of the 'gods'. Doesn't that just explain everything?

Herbert Nehrlich (11/3/2005 7: 54: 00 AM) Post reply | Delete this message
    Yes it does. But I hereby command you to write God with a capital 'G' and while bowing your balding head. The following song comes to mind: 'Are you lonesome tonight...' G

[Hata Bildir]