Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Sylvia McMillan Edmonds (12/13/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply

Good morning all! I am a new poet and have posted a few pieces of my work. Could you please take a look at some of my poetry and provide comments and/or votes?
    Thanks a million!
    Sylvia

• ***** ***** (12/13/2005 7:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 8 replies

I´ve read a couple of poems today about violence in Australia. Each poem had within it (or in an afternote below it) an assertion that these perpetrators are 'animals'. I find this comparison/parallel offensive to (non-human) animals - who in my estimation only attack eachother for mating/resource/protection purposes, not merely with aggression because they don´t like eachother.

Man´s behaviour is far worse than that of the wider animal kingdom and I don´t think any other animal should be used as the exemplar of evil when we fulfil that role quite well - all by ourselves.

[just a general gut reaction]

Replies for this message:
    • Declan McHenry (12/13/2005 4:33:00 PM) Post reply

Perhaps the media is suggesting we should have a more 'humanitarian' diet. The physiological differences twixt man and beast are non-existent. That's one reason why I'm veggie.

• Allan James Saywell (12/13/2005 3:02:00 PM) Post reply

wild animals have a code of behavior which they follow gang or mob animals are governed by the pack they have pack leaders who by whatever means incite the others to follow somewhat like sheep, only ... more

• Joseph Daly (12/13/2005 12:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I go along with Hound on this and would go further by suggesting that your comments are an insult to humans. I'm with G K Chesterton on this matter when he said (I may not be exact) about fox hunting ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (12/13/2005 8:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

compared to the rest of the animal kingd ... more

• Poetry Hound (12/13/2005 7:49:00 AM) Post reply

I don't think it's denigrating to animal ... more

• Michael Shepherd (12/13/2005 7:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well said, Sally. We're just so careless ... more

To read all of 8 replies click here
  • Mary Nagy (12/13/2005 6:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Well, heres a different post......I have the day off so I intend to spend it catching up on all the great poems I've missed over this semester! If you have a poem you feel got skipped over.........hollar at me and I'll check it out. (That's to new-comers as well as regulars.........I intend to read plenty today!) It's so easy to miss great poems with as fast as that ''homepage'' gets rolling along! Sincerely, Mary

• Vidushi Khera (12/13/2005 5:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

here's a question to everyone....if you had to describe my style of writing then how would u describe it? Read some of my poems and then tell me....
    Also i would like to know if people can figure out why i have written a certain poem....do my poems really communicate what i want to say? ?
    Really would appreciate your comments! thanx
    Luv,
    VidZ

• Michael Shepherd (12/13/2005 7:03:00 AM) Post reply

Your bio has already told us that we're to feel your poems, not worry so much about the words...so why not just stick with the comments on the individual poems? You don't need critical advice at this ... more

• Declan McHenry (12/13/2005 6:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Vidushi, you have over 50 poems there. Any specific ones that you want people to concentrate on?

• ***** ********* (12/13/2005 2:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Calling All twisted writers! lol Tai Just Jesting! Here are the details.

Twisted Tongue is looking for original, well-written stories with a twist, whether it is a twist in the tale or a twisted tale. We are open to all genres, sf/f/h elements preferred but will consider others. We want tales that are powerful, emotional, we want pulling off our seats into the tale. We are also open for poetry, book reviews, articles, interviews and artwork too.

New and upcoming writers are just as welcome as established writers.

email: twistedtongue@blueyonder.co.uk

web: twistedtongue.co.uk

• ***** ********* (12/14/2005 7:56:00 AM) Post reply

I hope some of you poets have taken a look at least at this new literary mag. I have been on several sites and here there is a lot of talent. So please take a look and send in a few of your best pie ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Jerry Hughes (12/12/2005 10:44:00 PM) Post reply

Greetings all. As we thunder toward Christmas with gaping wallets, and bleeding credit cards, making all of Santa's helpers fabulousy wealthy. I thought this little poem of mine, may help ease the pain of it all. Cheers then, Jerry

CHRISTMAS CAROLS

God rest ye merry gentlemen
    let nothing you dismay;
    For Jesus Christ our Saviour,
    is here now on display.

Hark the herald angels sing,
    glory to the cash till ring.
    Peace on earth. and mercy mild.
    Jesus, in the shops defiled.

And lo!
    What is that sign writ in the sky
    above the star?
    'These Christmas carols are
    for sale.., at the record bar.'

• Rookie - 1st Stage ***** ********* (12/12/2005 5:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Just wondering? ? ? ? There is a new online literary magazine, I know of, that is looking for short stories/poetry/articles/reviews/artwork etc, and I wondered if there is an appropriate place to post the information on poemhunter?

Smiling seasonably sweetly! !

Tai

• Rookie - 1st Stage Declan McHenry (12/12/2005 4:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Continuing the fashion for posting poems from countries starting with I, I offer this anonymous 16th Century Irish piece, in translation.

Song at Parting

Now, since of this alone I'm sure,
    That you were false to me,
    Do you endure and I'll endure
    That we should strangers be.

So if you chance to hear my name
    In cottage or in hall,
    Speak neither praise of me nor blame,
    Nor talk of me at all.

And if we meet, as we may do,
    At church or on the plain,
    You'll pass me by as I will you,
    Nor turn your head again.

We'll ne'er admit that it was I
    That did you so adore,
    And both of us will soon deny
    We even met before.

• Joseph Daly (12/13/2005 3:29:00 AM) Post reply

This is a wonderful piece Declan. It is odd that it is around 400 years old because it retains a freshness. The language is beautiful, it would make a great example to the few younger writers on PoHu ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/12/2005 7:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Jusr received, among a thousand other things, from my visiting son, Jefferson's book.
    Looks very cute though a bit fragile. Needs illustrations.
    But I will save the main course for Christmas.
    It is under the tree now.
    Best wishes
    and I will keep you informed
    H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/12/2005 4:09:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks for all the good wishes, by the way. He loves my Hemi... Best H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/12/2005 4:07:00 PM) Post reply

Wel, it's just that whenever I think of Jefferson I get this vision of flowery boxer shorts. That's why the word 'cute' slipped in. Also, there were a few hugs in the autograph section. Cute. Best ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (12/12/2005 6:27:00 AM) Post reply

Mahnaz, perhaps too precipitately but thanks to you and reading Shamlu's poems and his lifestory, I've posted a poem which if you approve it enough, you might like to translate into Persian and pass it on? No sweat.

[Hata Bildir]