Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (11/19/2005 1:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Allan, me old china plate, you're going to shit-can me for what I'm about to say about you hero, Billy Connelly. I find him repitiously boring, and monumentally unfunny. He's fallen into the same area of self-indulgence as Barry Humphries aka Edna Everage has. They've allowed themselves to become ledgens in their own lunchtime. But if the masses wish to make them wealthier than they are already, ces't la vie.

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/19/2005 4:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jerry, for once (: -)) I must agree with you. There are lots of people who like that Connelly (including the ING Bank) but then again there are those who think Robyn Williams is funny (Good Morning ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/19/2005 1:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

no Gerry i respect your opinion you would be a stiff upper lip person i could imagine you with a big bullwhip thrashing the soldiers Australian soldiers over the top at GALIPOLLI ARE YOU BRITISH some ... more

• Allan James Saywell Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 10:48:00 PM) Post reply

BILLY CONNELLY I LOVE THE MAN HE IS MAD CRAZY MAD JUST LIKE ME WHEN I SAW BILLY
    IT WAS THE ONLY TIME IN MY LIFE I FELT NORMAL, BILLY MADE ME NORMAL HE MADE ME LAUGH AND TO TOP IT OFF, HE DOESN'T DRINK ANYMORE HE GAVE IT AWAY AND HE WAS STILL MAD BILLY IS A SCOTSMAN AND A PROUD ONE SWEAR HE COULD SWEAR HE DID A
    TOUR OF AMERICA WHAT DID YOU YANKS THINK OF HIM I WONDER WETHER HE TOURED THE
    DEEP SOUTH NOW THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN INTERESTING RIGHT IN THE BIBLE BELT BILLY SWEARING AND CUSSING WHAT DO YOU THINK

• Allan James Saywell Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 10:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

just caught an award night in britain related to music this band won an award
    they were called THE GORILAZ and this other heavy metal group called
    System of the down' made me smile a little bit, a long smile a big wide smile
    oh shit be honest, i rolled on the floor the young fellow had to throw a
    bucket of water over me

• Allan James Saywell Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 6:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

the world is a big litter box full of the dregs of society and if we have a
    conscience we should sweep it clean

• Joseph Daly (11/18/2005 6:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

'cause one daya rain's gonna come and wash that scum away. Something bugging you Allan, I usually expect better than this from you.

• Allan James Saywell Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 5:33:00 PM) Post reply

that reminds me i'm out of kitty litter

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 4:40:00 PM) Post reply

Here's an example of what a community this group is for me:
    This morning I saw a bumper sticker on a car a ways ahead of me. I couldn't quite make it out. A little closer, I thought it said JOHN KAY. John Kay's name on a bumper sticker, I wondered?
    Still closer, of course, I realized it was an old JOHN KERRY sticker.

I'm looking forward to my copy of Jefferson's book arriving soon.

• Michael Philips Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 3:23:00 PM) Post reply

I just received my copy of Jefferson Carter's book! I'm very impressed. The title poem, 'Litter Box, ' is a scream. The cover art is quite the delight too. I highly recommend the book to everyone.

• Lori Boulard Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 2:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Oh, happy weekend, everyone. For your viewing pleasure, updated anthology files are online at http: //www.geocities.com/ph_poem_collection_2005. I had to keep separate files for the cover, intro/TOC and poems due to formatting, but hopefully you can view it all together on lulu next week once I walk it through.
    Before you ask, I will do my best to get it through publishing by Thanksgiving (something to be thankful for) which is next Thursday for all you non-Yanks. When it's ready, I'd like to test it first to make sure it's right before general orders go in. Cost is guessed at around $10US + shipping but I'll know better next week.

Please view it this weekend if you can; after that THERE WILL BE NO MORE CHANGES possible.
    Have a great weekend, and check out poems by Declan McHenry, Ben Cassel and Denis McMahon if you can. I shall.
    A bientot,
    Lori

• Declan McHenry Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 1:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Hi folks. The way this forum is set up it's impossible to search to see if a question has already been asked so sorry if this is a repeat.

The PoemHunter website has, really for the first time, allowed me to read a lot of work by American writers. From my own opinion there seem to be quite significant differences in form and style between those writing on one side of the Atlantic compared to the other. Part of this may be down to cultural references but I'm not entirely certain that is a full explanation for the differences. Has anyone got any thoughts on defining or explaining the difference (if you agree there is one) ?

• Lori Boulard (11/18/2005 9:38:00 PM) Post reply

I may get pounded for this, but hey, it's happened before. In all honesty - myself guilty as well - we Americans can confuse innovation with, well, laziness. There is value to UNDERSTANDING the rul ... more

• Ernestine Northover Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 2:54:00 PM) Post reply

I agree with Michael in that we English are far more staid and do tend to search for the truth in everything, I think americans have a younger outlook and are braver in trying out new prose. With us i ... more

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 1:40:00 PM) Post reply

Declan, it came up once but we didn't give it a good run, since most of us only know one or the other. I think only Adam can really compare. I haven't read much contemporary British poetry. Sonja may ... more

• Poetry Hound Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 1:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Extremely interesting question. But I'm ... more

• Mary Nagy Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 11:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I would like to let everyone know my niece CRYSTAL JOHNSON is going to join us here at poemhunter! I hope you'll all maker her feel welcomed and read her poems. From what I've read, I think she is very talented! Thanks guys. Sincerely, Mary

• Lori Boulard Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 2:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Wow, it runs in the family! Welcome to her, I'm sure she'll feel right at home.

• Mary Nagy Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 1:29:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks to those who checked her out! I'm actually really impressed. I think she'll have no trouble fitting right in here! Sincerely, Mary

[Hata Bildir]