Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Poetry Hound (12/8/2005 9:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Nikhil Parekh, it's too bad that you're unable to hear criticism of any kind.

Replies for this message:
  • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (12/8/2005 6:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

'and we all shine on/like the moon and the stars and the sun.'

• Poetry Hound (12/8/2005 7:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Interesting how 'Imagine' is the one that's always used as the 'theme song' for Lennon. He wrote so many other good ones, like 'Instant Karma' with its way cool drum fills.

• Max Reif (12/8/2005 7:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

That's a great line, though, Jake! I used to play the song, 'Instant Karma'. I like it a lot. 'Across the Universe', too. Lennon wrote some fine metaphysical songs. What a compicated guy!

• Max Reif (12/8/2005 7:39:00 AM) Post reply

Oh, sorry. Yes, Michael thought you were responding to his call for 10-word (or less) poems (see page 2) . I recognized the quote, but then I accepted Michael's understanding of the purpose of your p ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (12/8/2005 7:34:00 AM) Post reply

John Lennon was shot and killed this day ... more

• Max Reif (12/8/2005 7:31:00 AM) Post reply

if pears were round, would apples still ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/8/2005 6:58:00 AM) Post reply

Moonshine? H

• Ulrike Gerbig (12/8/2005 4:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

for those who are interested:

my second poetry collection ' love in all the right places' can now be ordered at www.amazon.co.uk
    strangely enough it is to be found under 'ulli gerbig' (and not ulrike gerbig) .

my first collection 'every woman's blues' can be found there as well...under its title, not under my name.

thanks for reading and caring for my poems,

ulrike

• John Kay (12/8/2005 8:17:00 AM) Post reply

In looking for your book, I discovered a website called Dead Drunk Dublin, where your poems are featured. I read and enjoyed each. You really do know how to distinguish between fire and ice. I'll keep ... more

• G. Murdock (12/7/2005 8:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Is Heather Mueller a real person? I feel like the cripple in 'Rear Window'..somebody has got to say something but I feel like a mullet who just went for the bait.

• Max Reif (12/8/2005 7:42:00 AM) Post reply

Lisel Mueller's great. Her poems are on this site. Heather, I don't know.

• Declan McHenry (12/8/2005 6:23:00 AM) Post reply

Biometric ID cards have been all the rage in Government circles in the UK. It's an art appreciating society.

• Michael Shepherd (12/8/2005 5:35:00 AM) Post reply

Lisel Mueller is the highly-regarded poet of such as 'The Laughter of Women'. In German, Mueller is the term for 'um-louts' - almost illiterate, uncommunicative yobs who hang around the streets...you ... more

• Max Reif (12/7/2005 8:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

HERE'S a game called 'Redundancy'.
    I collect sentences that are ridiculously redundant (not even sure if that's the right word) .
    Here are two examples:

'French is the lingua franca of France.'
    'Every Ramadan, Mecca becomes a mecca for moslem pilgrims.'

Can you think of any more?

• Max Reif (12/8/2005 7:47:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks, guys. Michael, I love the name for this. I didn't know there was one, and it sounds like it IS an example. The secret is to make it a bit subtle. 'Mecca is a mecca for moslem pilgrims every Ra ... more

• Michael Shepherd (12/8/2005 6:27:00 AM) Post reply

Nostalgia isn't what it was. Indeed, who can remember clearly how powerful were the first promptings of this powerful retrospect?

• Richard George (12/8/2005 5:32:00 AM) Post reply

A refinement on this, perhaps: 'Most of our exports come from abroad' (George W.) Who else could combine tautology with fallacy?

• Michael Shepherd (12/8/2005 5:19:00 AM) Post reply

Max, the game is called 'Pleonastic Taut ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/8/2005 1:35:00 AM) Post reply

The water on our little island is awfull ... more

• Alice Vedral Rivera (12/7/2005 10:31:00 PM) Post reply

We recollect the past and reminisce.

• Ben Cassel (12/7/2005 9:00:00 PM) Post reply

Hello! I'm Ben Cassel from the Departme ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Michael Shepherd (12/7/2005 7:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

We have just had the telecast of Harold Pinter's Nobel speech, as shown to the Nobel award gathering (he being too ill to travel) . It will, I surmise, never quite be forgotten. It had the personal force of all of Bacon's paintings put together. It was about truth and the impossibility of truth, and a writer's responsibility as the responsibility of every human being. It was a searing indictment and listing of American foreign policy since 1945, assisted by Britain, in the name of democracy, with the most scathing words about Bush and Blair as war criminals. He quoted a poem by Neruda on the bombing of civilians during the Spanish Civil War, and his own poem 'Death' -sitting like some Beckett play, in a wheelchair, spitting out his words. Plus a description of how his plays shape themselves. It finished by saying that he would volunteer as a Bush speechwriter, and gave us his version...if words have any power, he sure pushed them to the very limit. And his pauses were as you might expect from a playwright... wow.

• Joseph Daly (12/8/2005 6:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Pinter was an outstanding playwright and screenplay writer. Unfortunately his narrow anti-Americanism, when he gets political, is a bit too much for me. Like all the so-called radicals in this count ... more

• Richard George (12/8/2005 5:35:00 AM) Post reply

He's dying, isn't he? It's been heralded as his last speech.

• Jerry Hughes (12/7/2005 8:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Michael, mon ami, it did my fibrillating heart good to read your piece on the truly remarkable, Harold Pinter. I saw 'The Caretaker' done live, as against dead,25 years ago, and instantly became a Pin ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Michael Voorhis (12/7/2005 3:59:00 PM) Post reply

Ive added some more poems and I am hoping to get some criticism. So send me a message of it to me if you decide to read some. Thank you

• Rookie - 0 Points Michael Shepherd (12/7/2005 3:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 33 replies

And yet another Christmas game, you un-co-operative lot, you don't deserve it...:
    One-line poems. No more than ten words - (so you don't write a compressed haiku telegram) . And a clear mental image or idea.
    I've forgotten the example I had in mind. These will have to do, because I haven't thought this through myself, but I'd like others to try, you're an ingenious lot:

What does the mirror reveal to a peacock?

The snow hides the Spring as fathers hide their love.

To read all of 33 replies click here
  • Rookie - 0 Points Max Reif (12/7/2005 7:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

Anybody know anything about the singer/songwriter Tom Waits?

(never heard of him, till I recently saw him in the (hilarious and interesting) movie, 'Coffee and Cigarettes', and heard him do a fascinating song called 'You're Innocent When You Dream', that accompanied the titles at the end of the movie, 'Smoke'. He seems like an interesting character.)

• Ben Cassel (12/7/2005 1:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I went to high school with Tom Waits and he is, indeed, an interesting character. His persona, which grew from the real person but is far less restrained than the real Tom, has grown as he has aged ( ... more

• Joseph Daly (12/7/2005 8:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Tom here are the lyrics to innocent when you dream. You have to search using the first name. There are only three entries on PH and one of them is an instrumental Innocent when You Dream ... more

• Poetry Hound (12/7/2005 8:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Good lyrics, okay songwriting, mediocre musicianship, gravelly voice an acquired taste, adds up to a very narrow niche style that he never breaks out of (nor tries to, apparently) . His whole persona ... more

• Lori Boulard (12/7/2005 8:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

damn. Now I'm stuck on that song. If l ... more

• Joseph Daly (12/7/2005 8:28:00 AM) Post reply

Max I sent you a message on Tom

• Lori Boulard (12/7/2005 8:17:00 AM) Post reply

Didn't he sing 'Life is a Highway' awhil ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Michael Shepherd (12/7/2005 4:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

The Brits here feel that Simon Armitage is a fairly typical Brit poet as of now. Any American views? Adam suspects it may be read more as a 'translation' by non-Brits.
    And now we've got that far - Adam, could you offer half-a-dozen similar 'ought to read though you may not care for it' names?

• Michael Shepherd (12/7/2005 3:23:00 PM) Post reply

Adam, I've read your 'bluff' posts and either you're a liar or a brilliant bluffer.. anyway, Adam, Richard, a follow-up to Simon Armitage to offer our American ForumBoyz? Say half-a-dozen? I honestly ... more

• Max Reif (12/7/2005 8:15:00 AM) Post reply

Checking his page, I realized I'd just read 'I am bothered by...' a couple days ago, when someone posted it. I thought the narrative flowed well, and the dark humor, if that's what it was, had a stron ... more

[Hata Bildir]