Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (11/5/2005 6:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 8 replies

Marcy and I have both had the same thought: a (Christmas) anthology of say, three poems from each of the Forum Boyz'n'Gals made into a print-on-demand lulu-com book which would cost nothing but the time of someone adept. Marcy has offered a cover illustration.
    Is anyone with the appropriate skills prepared to take this on - and soon, if it's going to be Chrissieprezzie material?
    [We could ask one of our pals to select our three if we prefer...]

Replies for this message:
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/5/2005 2:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I just returned from a very enjoyable lunch with Jerry Hughes in Brisbane. He is up in what he calls Bjelkeland for a few days, visiting his son and he and I and a friend had a good oriental lunch, with Tiger beer (Singapore) in a sidewalk café at Southbank.
    Police description of Jerry:
    About 5'7 -5'8. Crew cut hair, well nourished Caucasian male not of the stated age of 74. Appears to be 64 (further checking and verification advised) . Height consistent with estimated weight, possibly a 4.2 kg excess abdominal fat.
    Earlobe crease bilaterally, dress casual Queensland, alert, pleasant looking, gentleman demeanour. Partial to beer, appetite is moderate in this situation.
    Photo obtained.
    Best
    H

• Max Reif (11/5/2005 9:23:00 AM) Post reply

You have apparently made your way to Australia. Did you tell us? How did I miss that? Is Brisbane a pretty city? I've imagined it is.

• Mary Nagy (11/5/2005 6:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

That must've been so nice Herbert! How lucky to actually meet eachother. Sincerely, mary

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/4/2005 7:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I have just posted a poem dedicated to Sherrie. To be read after dinner.
    Best
    Sir H(jr)

• Allan James Saywell (11/4/2005 5:43:00 PM) Post reply

Dont worry my little Sherie i still love you in a twisted sort of a way

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/4/2005 4:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

That brings up a question from this end. A book published by a university dental school (I had posted details about it here previously) has 'commandeered' my poem Teeth and they are apparently publishing it. I was never asked and only found out on Google. Not that I mind of course but when I sent in a poem about the London bombing to the british Medical Journal where I regularly write medical stuff they did ask me to confirm that the poem could be published. There probably are no fast rules (?) .
    Best
    H

• Richard George (11/5/2005 2:06:00 PM) Post reply

Is that the University of Michigan School of Dentistry? They've put my tanka epigram 'Breaking A Tooth' on their poetry web exhibition.

• Michael Gessner (11/4/2005 8:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mr. Nehrlich: If the poem is not in public domain, that is, it has appeared years ago, (country laws vary on this, I believe in the U.S. it's 27,) and the author is no longer living, then the pie ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/4/2005 4:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

a great morning here in china perched up on the great wall drinking green tea
    and reciting my poetry to the great vast landscape

• Marcy Jarvis (11/4/2005 10:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Interesting article about Chinese poets going on-line these days. 'While affirming online poetry, some scholars also worry about the warm but confusing situation of online poetry because online poets follow their own inclination in writing.'

• Michael Shepherd (11/4/2005 10:53:00 AM) Post reply

Chinese poets admire Allan's poetry, he reminded us, so there should be some interesting developments soon in Chinese poetry.

• Marcy Jarvis (11/4/2005 10:36:00 AM) Post reply

It's at the top of the homepage right now, I meant to say.

• Max Reif (11/4/2005 9:11:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

Just posted a poem dedicated to you guys. It's called 'The Faces of People I've Never Seen'. ta-ta for now.

• Max Reif (11/4/2005 10:02:00 AM) Post reply

ok, Marcy and Raynette are both in it now.

• Max Reif (11/4/2005 9:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I forgot, I could have put you in it, Marcy. Do you have red hair? I'll go back and do it. Raynette, well, I don't get a physical image of you. (I'm sure you HAVE one! Actually, now, someone's coming ... more

• Raynette Eitel (11/4/2005 9:26:00 AM) Post reply

I'm just relieved not to be in it, for you might have pictured me as a little old gray haired lady with bifocals. :) Raynette

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 9:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Are you tall Marcy?

• Marcy Jarvis (11/4/2005 9:19:00 AM) Post reply

It's especially great that I'm not in it ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 9:18:00 AM) Post reply

Great poem Max!

• Michael Shepherd (11/4/2005 8:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Seems there might be a place for a non-exploitative publisher to be upfront and say, we're selective but it's a way of getting you out there and we balance our books by selling the books...not unlike what 'small poetry magazines' do anyway?

• Marcy Jarvis (11/4/2005 11:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

There isn't any need to risk any investment anymore, Michael. You can put your books up with on-demand printing places for no investment whatsoever and they get printed one at a time as orders come i ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 9:22:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I always tell my husband that when I win the lottery (ya never know) I would finance a poetry magazine that was circulated worldwide that was primarily poets off poemhunter....I would love that!

• Poetry Hound (11/4/2005 8:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

At the risk of stating something unpopular, and knowing that this might anger Sherrie, my good buddy who is being published by Dogma Publications, I nevertheless have to say that Dogma Publications looks like one of those outfits that accepts almost anything sent in and then makes its money by selling you the book in which your poem was 'published.' True, they don't require you to buy the book like many such outfits do. But that's definitely how they make their money. Since there is no indication in their publications list of what poets are being published in their anthologies, why on earth would anyone buy one of these anonymous black-box books unless they know their poem is in it? Adding further to my suspicious, the dogmapublications.com website mentions not a single poet by name and has no links to other poetry sites. I don't think they care about poetry. They care about getting you to buy the books in which your poems are published. If folks think I'm wrong, please let me know.

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 9:45:00 AM) Post reply

Well, I figure they can only 'scam' you if you allow it. I won't buy their books.....but I'll surely allow them to publish my poetry in them. I know there are people out there buying them whether it ... more

• Raynette Eitel (11/4/2005 9:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I don't know a thing about dogma but I do avoid poetry.com like the plague. It is disgusting. I know a sweet little lady who thinks she writes great poetry because they keep sending her awards and s ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 9:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Well, I'm pretty sure each poem I've ever submitted has been 'supposedly' published into one of their anthologies and I sincerely doubt if each one was 'print-worthy' I've even seen some poems that yo ... more

• Marcy Jarvis (11/4/2005 8:49:00 AM) Post reply

Poetry.com publishes everything? Actual ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/4/2005 8:33:00 AM) Post reply

Well, you're probably right P/H. I don' ... more

[Hata Bildir]