Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Max Reif (11/9/2005 9:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I re-read the Bukowski poem 'poetry readings' and I still feel that it's great people write poetry and get together to read it, whether they ever become as famous as Bukowski. Maybe they're more worthy than he is, because they keep doing it out of love. Anyway... (maybe there's something I'm not getting. I personally went to a lot of poetry readings during one period of my life, but it was the 'fast lane' and competetive aspect that got to me, in SF, eventually, rather than the things Bukowski mentions.)

But I see that most of you appreciate his work (some with qualifications) , and that leaves me feeling I should read more of it.

Replies for this message:
    • allan james saywell (11/9/2005 11:14:00 PM) Post reply Stage

YOU WILL FIND ACTORS AT THE ACADEMY AWARDS AND PEOPLE WHO MAKE SPEECHES YOU WILL NOT FIND ANY POETS, POETS ARE SITTING DOWN WRITING POETRY SINGERS ARE SINGING SONGS PERHAPS WE SHOULD WRITE CHILDRENS ... more

• allan james saywell (11/9/2005 8:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

hello everbody i say to all of you goody goody gumdrops i'm back how are you all not violent i hope there is enough violence in the world without you poets
    resorting to the old biff i see you are working on a book for poem hunter what a funky wunky idea who was the brilliant person who thought of it it wasn't
    the old hound old sniffer himself do you know they are working on a uniform that he can wear while he does the comments on bob gotti it has two huge wings
    on white lace with a black bible on the front and back and a pair of flippers
    when he walks on water catch you later aligators

• Graham Leese (11/9/2005 6:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Good work on the book guys, nice to see the site evolving.

• ***** ********* (11/9/2005 5:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies Stage

I was just wondering! I am really enjoying this site with one exception and that is, when I get a comment on my work, I have to search to find it, in order to thank the writer. It is very time consuming and I have RSI which is a pain. Is there a way of asking nicely for the management to provide an email alert to comments on particular pieces. Just a thought. This was the only sensible forum I thought appropriate. Smiling hopefully Tai

• ***** ********* (11/10/2005 3:56:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hey Poetry Coward, You think you are so big don't ya? Big bully picking on little widow kick your scrawny arse, with limp wrists tied behind back Tai Chi Italy. There is nothing worse than a jealous ... more

• Max Reif (11/9/2005 9:39:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Tai, please don't worry about that guy below and his inappropriate comment.

• Michael Shepherd (11/9/2005 6:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

At the moment, Tai, as you have probably discovered, the least complicated method is to go to your own home page once every few days, and click on the poems marked 'NEW'. That way you catch the most l ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 6:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

hello TAI my little sweet pea yes someth ... more

• Declan McHenry (11/9/2005 5:52:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I think that's a great idea. I'd certain ... more

• ***** ***** (11/9/2005 5:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

I have just read back over the last couple of pages here and I have to ask:

Are we going to continue hashing out this pointless argument about non-agreeable comments to our poems here on PH? For goodness sake - maybe there should be a choice to exclude the option for comments if people only want to hear wonderful things. Pleeeeease people - your work can only improve if you accept that faults will always be a part of your evolution as a writer.

None of us is a perfect/exemplary/superlative poet.

I think people should really consider whether they want to receive honest commentary before they post to a public website for poetry. This argument is coming up time and time again.... 'Oh dear, someone gave me some bad comments' Surely comments are a reader's right....?

(yes, before anyone is quick to jump down my net-throat, I have reacted badly when I got a bunch of inexplicable '1's with no comment - that is a little different)

Can we leave the hypersensitivity to criticism behind?

S.

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 6:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

just give them a one like you do sonja that should be good enough make everyone happy

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/9/2005 5:40:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I agree 111 % Sonja. I personally do not like criticism and I suspect few poeple outside the masochistic society do. However, getiing critiqued by Raynette, John Kay and other fair dinkum and competen ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/9/2005 5:29:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Just got up and still squeezing my thyroid (through yawning) . Missed the skirmishes I must say I regret.
    Personally, as far as John Kay goes, I find him to be perched near the very top on this site. He lives in Germany where people are more judgmental than in most other places but I have yet to see a comment from him that did not reek of helpfulness, of constructive criticism, I for one would be happy if he took the time to look at a few more of mine, no question.
    As to the one who was so bothered and showed clear and present signs of the Vapours (a neuropeptide messenger disruption) I have found, to my consternation, that she is perched near the borderline of borderline, if you get my drift.
    Perhaps the age given is incorrect, that would explain some of her reactions and, perhaps, some of her poetry.
    I have been called names by her as well so it is really nothing to worry about,
    my crime was to point out the atrociously poor quality of her attempts to present poetry in German.
    So, after these brief comments (call them anti-inflammatory 'spade' comments) I shall go and teach a class (not poetry) . I needed that little bit of adrenalin.
    Best wishes to all and especially to Sherrie for this day, it's that kind of a day.
    H

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 5:33:00 PM) Post reply Stage

DID SHE CALL YOU SOURKRAUTE HERBERT OR SOMETHING WORSE WHY DONT YOU JUST MARRY THE WOMAN AND BE DONE WITH IT, THERE IS NOT A GREAT LINE DRAWN BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 4:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Good to see you back Gerry your talent has left a void in the rank and file
    of poem hunter, NOTICE I GAVE YOUR NAME A CAPITAL

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 4:21:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

could someone please call me a old prick so i can become angry enough to write
    a poem today i am as barren as a old women in the bible

• ***** ***** (11/9/2005 5:50:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Oh and... what about all the pointless wanker old men in the bible? There is a myriad you could aspire to.... hee hee. How do you like them apples?

• ***** ***** (11/9/2005 5:47:00 PM) Post reply Stage

You pointless, drunken waste of words. What are you doing constantly hovering on a site that so above you? I have never come across such an arrogant idiot masquerading as a poet. Who are you anyway ... more

• ***** ********* (11/9/2005 5:41:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I'd be happy to oblige Allan! but I am just too much of a lady! in waiting. Grinning Tai

• Michael Shepherd (11/9/2005 4:32:00 PM) Post reply Stage

promise that if i dont you wont?

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 2:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

did mister sheperd receive a bad comment on one of his poems, could mister sheperd tell me which poem so i can appraise the said poem and give mister sheperd an honest comment from a fellow poet

• Michael Shepherd (11/9/2005 5:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

That's really kind of you, Allan. But my comment was only about criticism in general and what I thought was useful comment. But I've been getting low ratings recently, and it makes me feel I'm 'push ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/9/2005 2:25:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

why would an old poem of mine called 'the black whole of love'get 94 votes
    overnight i will never understand the internet or people for that matter

• Cj Heck (11/9/2005 2:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Allan, maybe some college poetry class is studying your poem. Once in awhile, one of my poems for children will do that, get a lot of hits overnight. CJ

[Hata Bildir]