Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Poetry Hound (10/31/2005 12:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Here's an unusual word usage site to bookmark - http: //www.doubletongued.org/ It's called the Double-Tongued Word Wrester: A Growing Dictionary of old and new words from the fringes of English. For example: Share Of Throat n. the proportion of the beverage industry’s sales belonging to a specific brand or manufacturer.

Replies for this message:
    • Marcy Jarvis (10/31/2005 6:00:00 AM) Post reply

I'm stuck on pocketbook and flawn and it couldn't help me with either of those, but thanks.

• Allan James Saywell (10/30/2005 9:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i write under a couple of alter ego's on poem hunter but i still find it hard to decide which poems to allow my charactors to have i find it's like having duel personalaties after a while you become distant from them they start to assume personalities of there own one of my charactors i dont like him at all

• Jerry Hughes (10/30/2005 5:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

Greetings all. This hasn't anything to do with the current discussion, but to tell you I'll be off-air from this afternoon (Melbourne time) , until the morning of Tuesday, November 8.

I'm off to Queensland, to visit my eldest son Mark, who was diagnosed with Parkinsons some time ago. But it seems the current regime of medication he's on, isn't doing what its supposed to.

The dread fear of any parent is, one of their children proceeding them to the great unknown. However, I'll take your good wishes and pass them on. God knows, Mark needs every good wish he can get. Thanks, Jerry

• ***** ***** (10/31/2005 6:39:00 AM) Post reply

Your love for him is palpable. That should help you both through whatever comes. S.

• Michael Shepherd (10/31/2005 4:34:00 AM) Post reply

Jerry, sad news and best wishes. But I feel I must offer this: that my own slight shake responds instantly to meditation. It's as if one vibration takes a superior precedence over the other in the ner ... more

• Richard George (10/31/2005 12:40:00 AM) Post reply

All the very best to you both - always especially cruel when some one's struck down prematurely like this.

• Jerry Hughes (10/30/2005 10:30:00 PM) Post reply

Sherrie, Linda, Herbert, Kitten, Jeffers ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/30/2005 8:23:00 PM) Post reply

No worries, be happy Dad. Best H

• Mary Nagy (10/30/2005 7:29:00 PM) Post reply

We'll all be praying for your son Jerry. ... more

• Max Reif (10/30/2005 7:08:00 PM) Post reply

Bless you, best to you both, Jerry. Hope ... more

• Max Reif (10/30/2005 3:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I would be interested to see what anyone else might want to comments under Gershon Hepner's just-posted poem, 'lovetimes'.
    I found the poem, and Lawrence Pertillar's comment previous to the one I just made, very interesting.

• Allan James Saywell (10/30/2005 5:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I found it interesting Max so i wrote a poem about it i love inspirational poems they make me hungry and juice up my creative juices which in turn touches my gastric juices which makes me hungry, just ... more

• Max Reif (10/30/2005 3:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Will someone please explain to me, without condescending, if possible, what the Stafford poem is doing and is not doing? As you would a student of yours, if you were a poetry teacher? I'd really appreciate it.

• Marcy Jarvis (10/31/2005 6:07:00 AM) Post reply

Stafford was a pacifist. I got this quote from his bio on AmericanPoems: 'I keep following this sort of hidden river of my life, you know, whatever the topic or impulse which comes, I follow it alon ... more

• Michael Shepherd (10/31/2005 4:20:00 AM) Post reply

I'm not suggesting that this is Stafford's 'message' here, but perhaps his awareness (and was this one of his 'poetry teaching' poems, directly or indirectly, for poets?) : There's a beautiful dic ... more

• Allan James Saywell (10/30/2005 2:48:00 PM) Post reply

just having my bowl of fluoride my bowl of oats Melbourne cup tomorrow i
    could finish in the lilly patch drunk and disorderly

• Marcy Jarvis (10/30/2005 11:48:00 AM) Post reply

A Ritual To Read To Each Other

If you don't know the kind of person I am
    and I don't know the kind of person you are
    a pattern that others made may prevail in the world
    and following the wrong god home we may miss our star.

For there is many a small betrayal in the mind,
    a shrug that lets the fragile sequence break
    sending with shouts the horrible errors of childhood
    storming out to play through the broken dyke.

And as elephants parade holding each elephant's tail,
    but if one wanders the circus won't find the park,
    I call it cruel and maybe the root of all cruelty
    to know what occurs but not recognize the fact.

And so I appeal to a voice, to something shadowy,
    a remote important region in all who talk:
    though we could fool each other, we should consider-
    lest the parade of our mutual life get lost in the dark.

For it is important that awake people be awake,
    or a breaking line may discourage them back to sleep;
    the signals we give-yes or no, or maybe-
    should be clear: the darkness around us is deep.

William Stafford

• Marcy Jarvis (10/30/2005 9:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

The Poem 'Notice What This Poem is Not Doing' by William Stafford, is not using the 'I' but I do not think that anyone would accuse him of not 'owning' this poem. Why is that?

• Michael Shepherd (10/30/2005 11:41:00 AM) Post reply

Willliam Stafford - what a magnificent life, what poetry! I knew nothing of him. Could someone post his 'greatest poem of the century' for us? I guess 'Notice...' comes out of his writing exercise a ... more

• Marcy Jarvis (10/30/2005 9:58:00 AM) Post reply

Let's assume that people will give this some thought and answer...

• Max Reif (10/30/2005 9:55:00 AM) Post reply

I'm not able to answer your question, but (assuming no one else answers) I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

• Max Reif (10/30/2005 9:38:00 AM) Post reply

I'm finding a lot of juicy stuff on the Forum in out-of-the-way places: replies to replies to replies.
    Reminds me of eating a chicken, sucking out the marrow and the little, chewy things stuck in the interstices of bones...

• Marcy Jarvis (10/30/2005 8:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

They surely don't say purse.

[Hata Bildir]