Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Declan McHenry (12/14/2005 12:17:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Mary did it yesterday, so I'll take a turn today. Anyone with anything they want someone to read today, just let me know. Be warned though, I'm a cynically naive no-hope dreamer. Come and expand my mind!

• Rookie Joseph Daly (12/13/2005 9:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Whether he repented or not, surely is not the issue. The point is that a state treats other humans as animals: the premise being that people cannot reform; that, because they commit a crime, then they are criminals full stop and nothing can be done to change them or they are not capable of change. It is a pitious view of mankind.

May I suggest that you take a look at Lamont Palmer's poem on the subject.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Michael Voorhis (12/13/2005 9:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I agree with you on every aspect of your post, except for the part about humans not being animals. We are animals, no doubt about it, just more evolved and capable of a higher thinking. To say a human ... more

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/13/2005 8:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Paul, the man repented. He realised how wrong his life had been and how he had hurt people. He then dedicated his life to sending a message to the insane gangland culture that was taking the lives of so many young black men and women that gang life is not worth living. He tried to help others by using his own knowledge and he tried to save lives that were going to be lost in the future. Surely someone who does such a dramatic turnabout and tries to help so many can´t be dismissed so willingly.

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/13/2005 7:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

what a great day a day with sonja in the forum, well sadly it is swim time then i have to go to the club for a meal and some wine it is my daughters final dance night then next year she is off to high school then the fun starts
    but first a swim in the ocean the warm ocean in the warm sun
    we have a lucky country well hear in tweed we do other parts of Australia, not so lucky hang on a bit sonja i have to scratch myself with my leg well i am an animal

• Rookie - 788 Points Jerry Hughes (12/13/2005 5:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

ello, ello ello, evenin' all! Don't know how many of you have encountered him, her, or it, yet, under the pseudonyn 'Beaver Wanker' aka The Intellectual?
    Whichever, the combination of him, her and it, is a comitted Arab hater. One only has to read the posted (poetry?) . Shows how much on the ball Collette is? C'est la vie. Jesus, we do live in a sick, sick world.

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/13/2005 5:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am sorry to harp on tonight but I have been catching up on some poets work and one thing I do know is that using the following list of adverbs (I may have missed a few) :

bountifully
    despicably
    pricelessly
    morbidly
    fecklessly
    timelessly
    tirelessly
    horrendously
    profoundly
    uninhibitedly
    divinely
    sacredly
    entirely
    infallibly
    inexplicably
    fully
    disastrously
    irrevocably,
    everlastingly
    unassailably
    vindictively
    lonely
    enchantingly
    indefatigably
    haplessly
    symbiotically
    unflinchingly
    majestically
    triumphantly
    astoundingly
    separately
    profoundly
    perpetually
    salaciously
    miserably
    dolorously
    sinfully
    endlessly
    miraculously

.... in one poem is surely overkill?

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/13/2005 5:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Lately, I have been in a desert, as far as writing is concerned. I just feel like I have exhausted my pool of themes for now.

Do other people here sometimes feel that they have written about everything (I know you can never actually HAVE written about everything, but is it a feeling that other people get from time to time too?)

• Rookie Richard George (12/14/2005 5:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm in ebb at the moment too. I think there are great tides at the bottom of our minds we know very little about which inspire poetry. Keep waiting, like a lighthouse keeper...

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/13/2005 5:39:00 PM) Post reply

I JUST WANT TO KEEP WRITING AND WRITING AND WRITING AND WRITING NOT EVEN THE ONES WILL STOP ME I'LL ALWAYS WANT TO DO (I) MORE

• Rookie Michael Voorhis (12/13/2005 5:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

My goal in life is to become a published poet, which here in this community is not an uncommon ideal, and I am planning on sending in some poems to a literary magazine. I was reading up on it, and I read that most literary magazines are looking for a certain style. I do not know much about those magazines and I wrote to ask some of you who do know about them to read my work and suggest somewhere for my poems to be sent. I would also really appreciate a suggestion or two.

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/13/2005 5:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I JUST WANT PEOPLE TO READ AND ENJOY MY WORK AND AFTER I'M DEAD THEN I WANT TO BE PUBLISHED IN A BIG BOOK WITH LOTS OF PICTURES OF NUDE WOMEN THEN I WILL BE SURE OF MY AUDIENCE

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/13/2005 5:23:00 PM) Post reply

You should check out the ´Writers and Artists Handbook 2005´ which should be able to guide you on the process. It is a brilliant guide if you don´t know about the kind of work different Journals are i ... more

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/13/2005 4:29:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Are you up on your reading here at PH?

Here is a pop-quiz question:

In which poet´s classic style are you likely to find the words ´acrimoniously´and ´unsurpassably´in the same sentence?

Smile. The same poet never ceases to amaze...

• Rookie Richard George (12/14/2005 5:39:00 AM) Post reply

There was an early Dark Age author in north Africa called Fulgentius who was noted for his bizarre and baroque vocabulary (like 'bracteamentum', 'glitterment') . He is, by common consent, the most des ... more

• Rookie sheila knowles (12/13/2005 4:32:00 PM) Post reply

it has to be our Mr NP...right? :) Amazing thing is though, when i feel like torturing my husband, I read one or two lines of his stuff and he knows immediately who it is :)

• Rookie Richard George (12/13/2005 2:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Just saw on the news that 'Tookie' Williams, a murderer who repented in jail and wrote books attacking the gang culture, has been executed by lethal injection. It took him half an hour to die. He was refused clemency by that well-known icon of pacifist art cinema, Arnold Schwarzenegger. As Will Durst the humourist said once: 'Something wrong somewhere...'
    (NB I yield to no one in condemning Williams's crimes but happen to think deprivation of liberty for life is sufficient punishment) .

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/13/2005 6:31:00 PM) Post reply

Now my papers said that Tookie refused to apologise for his crimes...as the justification for his execution...

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/13/2005 2:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I saw the report just now on Spanish TV and because of my failings in the rapidity of newscast castillan, missed that it was THAT inmate which was executed. Shame - American society had lots to learn ... more

[Hata Bildir]