Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/8/2005 3:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Sure wish someone'd respond to my John F. Kennedy post, a few posts down. It brings up, for me, some really fascinating, subtle topics about psychology, that you poets could probably be insightful and eloquent about.

(There. Have I flattered you enough? But I really WOULD like to see if anyone will engage the topic.)

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 7 Points Mary Nagy (12/8/2005 8:25:00 PM) Post reply

Max, I don't want to take your comment into the wrong direction...........but, we just watched quite a few movies on the assassination in my history class. Am I the only one that had no idea there ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Joseph Daly (12/8/2005 6:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Yes Max, I recall at school all the jokes about Bobby Sands during the Hunger Strikes. These were kids from Irish backgrounds. Ulrike does have a point, youngsters are too immature to cope with deat ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/8/2005 4:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I did, I did Max. We were very mature on that particular day,22 Nov 1963 and I am letting you have a glimpse. Best H

• Rookie - 7 Points Michael Voorhis (12/8/2005 4:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I agree with Ulrike about how that is th ... more

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (12/8/2005 2:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

you know, we can now discard unfavourable comments, send each other private messages, get notified by email of new comments or messages, discuss our concerns in the Forum, rate each other on our work, workshop, look up countless lyrics and quotes, however

PoemHunter has not yet figured out how to eliminate the extra 'p' in dropp, nor add the final 'e' to delet.

and in spite of her flaws, i still love her!
    PoemHunter.Com, you sweet bitch, you've ruined me!

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/8/2005 3:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Jake, you advisedly used the word 'discard' instead of PH's other bogey-word - 'delete'..

• Rookie Ernestine Northover (12/8/2005 3:44:00 PM) Post reply

Thank you a.jacob because I couldn't understand why I deleted the second P in dropp and it was back again in full force, I tried quite a few times and in the end substituted another word, which wasn't ... more

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (12/8/2005 11:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Fellow Poets and Gatherers,

a bit off track here, but if you could get into the Guinness Book for any one of your talents (besides poetry) , what would it be?

• Rookie Joy Vanderhelm (12/10/2005 8:06:00 AM) Post reply

Sex, definitely something to do with sex. Maybe for the most amount of positions employed in a single night? ? :))

• Rookie Michael Voorhis (12/8/2005 3:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

This isnt as witty as the other replies, but if I couldnt make it in for poetry, I would choose to be in it for art

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/8/2005 1:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Most shameless promoter of own self-referential verse? Quickest deleter of adverse comment? Maximum number of words in English dictionary employed regardless of context?

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/8/2005 9:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

on JFK (suggested by Ulrike's Lennon post) :
    Note: The interesting part below is BELOW the asterisks. The first two paragraphs are unremarkable.

when Kennedy died I was in Latin class in high school. We only heard he'd been shot, I think. The teacher, a prim, kind, elderly lady, said in a compassionate voice that we could just put our heads down on our desks if we liked, and rest...

afterward, I was in the locker room at soccer practice. By then we knew, I think, that he was dead. The next 3-4 days was that national ritual of staying home watching TV, including seeing Jack Ruby shoot Oswald right on the screen; then the Kennedy funeral with the riderless, black (I think) horse, his little son (now himself departed) saluting, etc...

After 42 years, should I share that one of my friends there in the locker room that day did a 'Kennedy imitation'? (Remember how those were popular with comedians and practically everbody? Heck, my mother was trying to make my whole life, haircut and all, a Kennedy imitation) . My friend lay sprawled on a locker room bench, like he was dead.

God, I think I laughed then and felt horribly guilty, and that it was all horribly inappropriate. I still almost felt I shouldn't mention it, all these years later. But in a way it's the most interesting 'unfinished' part of my memories. We've properly mourned John Kennedy, and I still cry at certain newsreels and such. But my friend's behavior was so crashingly inappropriate! And yet, looking at it honestly, so funny.

Any comments or analyses? Was my friend just a sickie? I usually approve of irreverance, but there may be times when balanced minds are subdued and flippancy is not an appropriate emotional choice. It's all very interesting.
    That particular friend was being raised by his mom, alone. But my impression is that he's 'turned out ok', made a transition to adulthood...

• Rookie - 7 Points Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/8/2005 4:43:00 PM) Post reply

I was sitting in the community room of our Pension in Germany where High School students from out of town were boarding. Ours was a farmer and butcher so we did get the proper high cholesterol brain f ... more

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (12/8/2005 9:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Nikhil Parekh, it's too bad that you're unable to hear criticism of any kind.

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (12/8/2005 6:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

'and we all shine on/like the moon and the stars and the sun.'

• Rookie Poetry Hound (12/8/2005 7:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Interesting how 'Imagine' is the one that's always used as the 'theme song' for Lennon. He wrote so many other good ones, like 'Instant Karma' with its way cool drum fills.

• Rookie Max Reif (12/8/2005 7:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

That's a great line, though, Jake! I used to play the song, 'Instant Karma'. I like it a lot. 'Across the Universe', too. Lennon wrote some fine metaphysical songs. What a compicated guy!

• Rookie Max Reif (12/8/2005 7:39:00 AM) Post reply

Oh, sorry. Yes, Michael thought you were responding to his call for 10-word (or less) poems (see page 2) . I recognized the quote, but then I accepted Michael's understanding of the purpose of your p ... more

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (12/8/2005 7:34:00 AM) Post reply

John Lennon was shot and killed this day ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (12/8/2005 7:31:00 AM) Post reply

if pears were round, would apples still ... more

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/8/2005 6:58:00 AM) Post reply

Moonshine? H

• Rookie Ulrike Gerbig (12/8/2005 4:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

for those who are interested:

my second poetry collection ' love in all the right places' can now be ordered at www.amazon.co.uk
    strangely enough it is to be found under 'ulli gerbig' (and not ulrike gerbig) .

my first collection 'every woman's blues' can be found there as well...under its title, not under my name.

thanks for reading and caring for my poems,

ulrike

• Rookie John Kay (12/8/2005 8:17:00 AM) Post reply

In looking for your book, I discovered a website called Dead Drunk Dublin, where your poems are featured. I read and enjoyed each. You really do know how to distinguish between fire and ice. I'll keep ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points G. Murdock (12/7/2005 8:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Is Heather Mueller a real person? I feel like the cripple in 'Rear Window'..somebody has got to say something but I feel like a mullet who just went for the bait.

• Rookie - 0 Points Max Reif (12/8/2005 7:42:00 AM) Post reply

Lisel Mueller's great. Her poems are on this site. Heather, I don't know.

• Rookie - 0 Points Declan McHenry (12/8/2005 6:23:00 AM) Post reply

Biometric ID cards have been all the rage in Government circles in the UK. It's an art appreciating society.

• Rookie - 0 Points Michael Shepherd (12/8/2005 5:35:00 AM) Post reply

Lisel Mueller is the highly-regarded poet of such as 'The Laughter of Women'. In German, Mueller is the term for 'um-louts' - almost illiterate, uncommunicative yobs who hang around the streets...you ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/7/2005 8:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

HERE'S a game called 'Redundancy'.
    I collect sentences that are ridiculously redundant (not even sure if that's the right word) .
    Here are two examples:

'French is the lingua franca of France.'
    'Every Ramadan, Mecca becomes a mecca for moslem pilgrims.'

Can you think of any more?

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/8/2005 7:47:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks, guys. Michael, I love the name for this. I didn't know there was one, and it sounds like it IS an example. The secret is to make it a bit subtle. 'Mecca is a mecca for moslem pilgrims every Ra ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Michael Shepherd (12/8/2005 6:27:00 AM) Post reply

Nostalgia isn't what it was. Indeed, who can remember clearly how powerful were the first promptings of this powerful retrospect?

• Rookie - 7 Points Richard George (12/8/2005 5:32:00 AM) Post reply

A refinement on this, perhaps: 'Most of our exports come from abroad' (George W.) Who else could combine tautology with fallacy?

• Rookie - 7 Points Michael Shepherd (12/8/2005 5:19:00 AM) Post reply

Max, the game is called 'Pleonastic Taut ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/8/2005 1:35:00 AM) Post reply

The water on our little island is awfull ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Alice Vedral Rivera (12/7/2005 10:31:00 PM) Post reply

We recollect the past and reminisce.

• Rookie - 7 Points Ben Cassel (12/7/2005 9:00:00 PM) Post reply

Hello! I'm Ben Cassel from the Departme ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/7/2005 7:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

We have just had the telecast of Harold Pinter's Nobel speech, as shown to the Nobel award gathering (he being too ill to travel) . It will, I surmise, never quite be forgotten. It had the personal force of all of Bacon's paintings put together. It was about truth and the impossibility of truth, and a writer's responsibility as the responsibility of every human being. It was a searing indictment and listing of American foreign policy since 1945, assisted by Britain, in the name of democracy, with the most scathing words about Bush and Blair as war criminals. He quoted a poem by Neruda on the bombing of civilians during the Spanish Civil War, and his own poem 'Death' -sitting like some Beckett play, in a wheelchair, spitting out his words. Plus a description of how his plays shape themselves. It finished by saying that he would volunteer as a Bush speechwriter, and gave us his version...if words have any power, he sure pushed them to the very limit. And his pauses were as you might expect from a playwright... wow.

• Rookie Joseph Daly (12/8/2005 6:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Pinter was an outstanding playwright and screenplay writer. Unfortunately his narrow anti-Americanism, when he gets political, is a bit too much for me. Like all the so-called radicals in this count ... more

• Rookie Richard George (12/8/2005 5:35:00 AM) Post reply

He's dying, isn't he? It's been heralded as his last speech.

• Rookie Jerry Hughes (12/7/2005 8:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Michael, mon ami, it did my fibrillating heart good to read your piece on the truly remarkable, Harold Pinter. I saw 'The Caretaker' done live, as against dead,25 years ago, and instantly became a Pin ... more

[Hata Bildir]