Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Max Reif (11/17/2005 7:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

I would like to pick up on Declan and Michael's earlier responses to Sonja's question (whether people post on PH or on the Forum) as to whether this is a community. Declan posed the latter question, and Michael (S.) wrote eloquently about it. I feel this is *definitely* a community. How I got to posting on the Forum was by somehow hearing a poem of mine was being discussed...the poem had some adherents and one strong detractor. I don't know if I knew there WAS a Forum before that (it takes some time for some of us to find our way around this site!) , and at first I merely lurked, open-mouthed in shock that 'I' (well, my poem, my child) was being dissected here. I had no intention of opening my mouth with the seemingly VERY verbal people here, for fear I'd get my foot stuck in it within a few sentences.

But there was 'another guy inside me' whose suppose desire/need of community and love of poetry got me to start sounding off here, and the rest is-well, ourstory.

It's always kind of a marvel how 'people whose faces I've (mostly) never seen' can be such an important reference group, but then we've never seen the Soul either! Sometimes I post a poem or a Forum comment and it spices my morning, because I have to go to work and when I come home for my lunch break,4 1/2 hours later, I get to see responses. The other day I posted two short poems and I *really* didn't know whether they 'said anything', it was kind of a risk to be out there with them. Not that anything is REALLY risked...reputation? ...dear me! And when I clicked and faced 'that moment', there were 4 appreciative comments under each poem, each responding to a different facet. Occasionally, I *don't* get the comments, and then I have to either face the fact that the poem needs work, or accept that I still like it but it's 'ahead of its time' or something.

I definitely carry you folks in my heart. I sometimes feel the same kinds of emotions I feel in a roomful of people. A couple times I've felt the discussion's 'passed me by' or I'm being taken as a 'lightweight'. It may be a bit easier to PRETEND such impasses don't affect my day and mood, and it may be subtle, most of the time, but I think they do.

Replies for this message:
    • Alice Vedral Rivera Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 6:44:00 PM) Post reply

I definitely feel that this is a community - one of which I am glad to be a part. And yes, I appreciate comments but when I don't get any, that's ok too. I don't particularly care for those pesky 'on ... more

• Mary Nagy Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 10:57:00 AM) Post reply

Max, I like how you said 'I definitely carry you folks in my heart'. I love that! I feel the same way about this site. No matter how cliche it sounds (I'll admit) this really is like a family. Su ... more

• Lori Boulard Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 8:50:00 AM) Post reply

well said, Max. Regarding the Forum, I came here in a similar way, and I dare say it's now like (sorry for choice of simile) my morning coffee. I enjoy all the banter, and very often discover a new ... more

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 8:45:00 AM) Post reply

I'm reading less these days, and apologi ... more

• Declan McHenry Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 8:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

You are completely correct Max. No need ... more

• Marcy Jarvis (11/17/2005 7:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

New picture updat to let you know that I am taking opinions for best cover art for the upcoming COFFEE issue. Check out four of the contenders that I've tracked down:

derek-stuff.buzznet.com/user/? id=1014575

daisies.buzznet.com/user/? id=1465976

ea-bluemosaic.buzznet.com/user/? id=1911003

turchese.buzznet.com/user/? id=1900942

message me with your preference or submit your own. Cream, no lumps.

• Lori Boulard Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 11:12:00 AM) Post reply

very good point about cost and supporting the artist, Marcy. Scratch my earlier comment and put me down for the beach one, then.

• Lori Boulard Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 9:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

ooooh, I found my favorite..then again I'm partial to black/white graphics. Check out www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_pages/0064-0503-0814-4400.html

• Lori Boulard Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 9:02:00 AM) Post reply

see a bunch at www.flickr.com/photos/66668382@N00/search/tags: coffee/

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 7:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Gee, ANY of the ones I've looked at woul ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/17/2005 4:21:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

i wonder if the pope will open the world cup well he is german i wonder if
    he will bless the Australian soccer team

• Allan James Saywell (11/17/2005 2:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

you wouldn't want to know i just met a tall pygmy he said to me are you demacratic and i said no but i'm very demonic

• Allan James Saywell (11/16/2005 8:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I HATE PEOPLE PUTTING THERE POLITICAL VIEWS UNDER MY POETRY ESPECIALLY ABOUT
    SERIAL KILLERS AND TERRORISTS MAKES YOU WONDER WHAT THEY DO IN THERE SPARE TIME
    MAKES YOU WONDER IF THEY ARE HAPPY LIVING IN A DEMOCRACY

• Allan James Saywell (11/16/2005 7:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

what ever happened to that woman from turkey she made the top five hundred list and retired i wrote a poem about a turkey they go past my unit late of a evening to nest if they are going to mate they run past together it is hilarious nobody believes me but it is true i go out out wait for them i am
    five floors up people come out to watch me laughing, i remember now celine charcole that is right do you remember her thank god for celine i got some ideas from her

• ***** ***** (11/16/2005 6:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

If feelings were outlawed (Judge Dredd or otherwise) how on earth would poetry ever exist, Sherrie?

• Declan McHenry Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 4:39:00 AM) Post reply

It would still be there, just with strict forms, lots of dry rhyme and hard rythym. Oh, and draconian penalties for anyone deviating.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 1:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Now children, a sociopath is not a person without feelings.It is not possible to be a sociopath without having/experiencing feelings. As to the world being a better place without feelings, that is pu ... more

• Alice Vedral Rivera Rookie - 1st Stage (11/16/2005 10:55:00 PM) Post reply

I seem to be under the impression that people with no feelings = sociopaths and that the only highs/lows they get is from winning/losing at their 'game of manipulation' that can manifest anywhere from ... more

• ***** ***** (11/16/2005 6:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

General question:

Is rating/comment the only reason why people post here? [what about just wanting your feelings to be 'out there'? ]

Sx

(this was asked in an earlier post and I wanted to put it to everyone)

• Richard George Rookie - 1st Stage (11/18/2005 1:10:00 AM) Post reply

For me, it's wanting poems of mine to be 'out there', when there are so few other avenues for publication. Ratings do matter to me though. I haven't had an 'out of ten' for a couple of months now - ju ... more

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 6:32:00 AM) Post reply

Community - I think that for me Declan's hit it. I've just looked up the ecological sense of 'community' -a group of interdependent plants or animals living together. And isn't that the very history o ... more

• Declan McHenry Rookie - 1st Stage (11/17/2005 3:19:00 AM) Post reply

Sonja, I guess that depends on whether you mean post poems here or just comments. I get the impression just posting poems on Poemhunter will get you more comments on the subject matter than on the sty ... more

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (11/16/2005 8:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Nah.

• Mary Nagy Rookie - 1st Stage (11/16/2005 7:56:00 PM) Post reply

I don't get mad when somebody gives me a ... more

• Lori Boulard Rookie - 1st Stage (11/16/2005 6:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi Sonja. If you mean post to the Forum ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (11/16/2005 6:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think you pose a good question. While ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/16/2005 5:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

one of my poems that i wrote when i was thirty six years old, it is called 'Leechy scrub' you could say it is my favourite piece of work the poem
    that i hold dear to my heart and yet is has twenty five lousy votes since it was lodged many eons ago and dare i say it a piece called 'cluck chickens'
    where the chickens sound like there making four letter word noises has a
    couple of thousand votes it must make people laugh or perhaps chickens do
    sound like four letter words

• ***** ***** Rookie - 1st Stage (11/16/2005 6:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Most of my poems have little response, but unlike you or some others here I don't come to the forum saying... 'thank you soooo much for your many votes on my work' (I see that as a convenient method o ... more

• Sinnaminsun Sinnaminsun (11/16/2005 4:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hello everyone :) I was wondering what your opinions of poetry.com aka: The International Library of Poetry are? They have monthly poetry contests, big gatherings once or twice a year, and also publish poetry books. Kim

• ***** ***** Rookie - 1st Stage (11/16/2005 7:06:00 PM) Post reply

No No No No. qed.

• Lori Boulard Rookie - 1st Stage (11/16/2005 6:30:00 PM) Post reply

Kim, RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! If you mean poetry.com you should google it. I believe you'll get results under 'poetry scams', if you know what I mean. Their contests are legit (pay out is real) but be ... more

[Hata Bildir]