Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/3/2005 6:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Hi all:
    A serious allegation has been raised. A person has left a comment under my latest poem (Proper Vodka) accusing me of plagiarism.
    I do not know who this is but have demanded immediate proof or an apology.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    See below:
    Tiyler Durden (11/3/2005 5: 55: 00 AM)
    PPffttt this is a copy from one of David Darbyshire's poems......

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (11/3/2005 7:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Tiyler may have got his wires crossed. David Darbyshire's poem 'Doc' about writing a poem a day was surely a compliment to you, Herbert?

• David Nelson Bradsher (11/3/2005 7:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I have a feeling it's one of those alter-egos of a regular here, Herbert. Tyler Durden is the antagonistic alter-ego character from the book and movie, 'Fight Club', and I think someone here is messi ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/3/2005 5:39:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I must thank everyone that read Todd's poem...........His poem is at the #128 spot and he's loving it! ! Hey, I wonder what that says about the rating system? ? :) That's so funny! ~~ Although it may be creating a monster~~~ Thanks again. Sincerely, Mary

• Michael Shepherd (11/3/2005 4:49:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Max'nall, check out the news headline on the home page (which you can actually read without subscribing to Kerala Press...) about the world's first-ever novel in the second-person future tense of hideous prediction, by a poet and self-proclaimed 'best writer in the world' (sorry, Andrew) ...

• Max Reif (11/3/2005 6:49:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

I checked it out. I think Matt Getty might be Matthew Pearson. I went to his website, practically have a headache from his self-promotion. Could anyone who proclaims himself 'the world's best writer, ... more

• Poetry Hound (11/3/2005 5:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Shep, thanks for pointing out this fascinating article, which for some reason originates at a website in Kerala, the Southern India state whose capital is Thiruvananthapuram and whose population is 33 ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/2/2005 11:01:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Amicalement votre. My apologies Ronberge. It's the fluoride.
    Best
    H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/2/2005 9:21:00 PM) Post reply Stage

If I see any more Bred Farton I will start up the fluoride debate again.
    Amicalemant votr
    Vulcanohaines (jr)

• Marcy Jarvis (11/2/2005 2:50:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Yeah, I'm not letting you off the tenterhooks so fast. I really, really want to know why it bothers people so much that they would prefer a separate list. Most poets are not appreciated in their own lifetimes and I have no doubt whatsoever that Homer would have gotten a big kickout of being alongside a few of us gals. ; -D

• Marcy Jarvis (11/2/2005 2:36:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Andrew,

why on earth would you be worried that people might get a kick out of their placement or that it might inspire them to see an old name they never read and bother to take a look? I don't see anything here about people 'who keep checking' - I saw that Max mentioned it and a few of us looked. And, (gasp!) one of us said thank you and one of us made a joke.

• Mary Nagy (11/2/2005 1:25:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies Stage

Marcy,
    Ya know what's funny? I was eating Kentucky Fried CHicken yesterday and the thought of something you said wouldn't leave my head.......Back awhile ago you mentioned that something reminded you of eating chicken...how you get down to the bone and suck the marrow right out of it while you try to get all the little scraps of 'stuff' off the bone. It kinda ruined my chicken for me but it made me laugh that you were on my mind while I was trying to eat my chicken! (I just thought you may appreciate this) :) Sincerely, Mary

• Marcy Jarvis (11/2/2005 12:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies Stage

It's some kind of brain washing thing, right? Like they pair you up with your doppelganger from history, right? Like Max is next to Tristan Tzara (LOL) and I'm sandwiched between H.D. and Wendell Berry.

• Mary Nagy (11/2/2005 2:24:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Yes, my poem wasn't ''against'' the other poets...it was a fun post....it wasn't a mean or vindictive post.

• Marcy Jarvis (11/2/2005 1:35:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well, you should be honored to be between them; they are two of my favorite poets on this site.

• Marcy Jarvis (11/2/2005 1:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

So what you're getting at is now you're between Basho and John Tiong Chunghoo, Mary?

• Mary Nagy (11/2/2005 12:58:00 PM) Post reply Stage

My poem 'Buried By Haiku' was written in ... more

• Max Reif (11/2/2005 12:45:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I started writing a poem once about bein ... more

• Max Reif (11/2/2005 11:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

For your info: some of 'us' are among the most popular poets in history (the '500 Most Popular Poets' list) . Mary Nagy, for example (as I notified her last night) is #280, while *Homer* clocks in at 285! Lamont is somewhere in the 300s I think. A lot of the Forum crowd is there. Oh, and that great poet, 'Anonymous' is at 248, I think. Or is it 348? The most popular of 'us' I could find was...HERBERT, at 176!

• Michael Shepherd (11/3/2005 4:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Credit where credit's due, Max: our three Aussies, Jerry, Herbert, and Allan, are way ahead in the honours list: Jerry's been up there in the 70s for a long time, and rightly so. Hours before you and ... more

[Hata Bildir]