Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Lori Boulard (11/5/2005 11:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 7 replies Stage

You know, this America discussion makes me think. I posted something (remaining nameless) on the subject, and questioned its appropriateness to the point of deleting it, several times. That bothers me. Do you ever find yourself censoring your work - or at least hesitating - because it may be controversial?

Replies for this message:
  • Max Reif (11/5/2005 11:00:00 AM) Post reply | Read 8 replies Stage

I found this an excellent poetic description of America. (Maybe someone could help me with the part about the weather, though.)

CHEER UP AMERICA!
    by Hasan Ali Tokuqin

Cheer up America!
    you are doing fine
    if you think otherwise

you give world fanatsy
    you give world comedy

you give world gospel Tv
    you give world vivid sex scenes

you give world juciy hamburgers
    and sun like french fries
    other cool stuff

you give world space shuttle take-offs and landings
    and breath taking landscapes from cosmos

you give world
    the movement of clouds and weather

you give fuel to the world's libido
    make her more sexy

Cheer up America!
    you are cool
    you are doing fine.

• Max Reif (11/5/2005 10:50:00 AM) Post reply Stage

So, (just in from the PH news page) Paul McCartney's written a chidren's book too now.
    Wouldn't be surprised if it's good.

• Michael Shepherd (11/5/2005 7:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

Oh by the way, blush, squirm... I posted a poem, as one of the instigators after Max's suggestion, and, er, didn't think much of it, but, er, am getting rather fond of it, or, er, what it might have been...and, er, from us all really...um...to Mary and Todd... it's under 'One for..' in my homepage list...

• Lori Boulard (11/5/2005 9:00:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Michael, I'm so glad you mentioned this one here, as new postings fly in like lightning these days and I would have missed it otherwise. Really beautiful, and even more so that it's inspired by Mary ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/5/2005 8:42:00 AM) Post reply Stage

By the way......yes, I vote for you to include this in the Christmas anthology! ! I could give up one of mine for it's inclusion. :)

• Mary Nagy (11/5/2005 7:50:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Michael, I can't believe I missed this post! ! I just read it and so did my kids.......that is the most beautiful poem ever! (and I'm not just saying it because of the topic) This made me feel s ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/5/2005 6:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 8 replies Stage

Marcy and I have both had the same thought: a (Christmas) anthology of say, three poems from each of the Forum Boyz'n'Gals made into a print-on-demand lulu-com book which would cost nothing but the time of someone adept. Marcy has offered a cover illustration.
    Is anyone with the appropriate skills prepared to take this on - and soon, if it's going to be Chrissieprezzie material?
    [We could ask one of our pals to select our three if we prefer...]

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/5/2005 2:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

I just returned from a very enjoyable lunch with Jerry Hughes in Brisbane. He is up in what he calls Bjelkeland for a few days, visiting his son and he and I and a friend had a good oriental lunch, with Tiger beer (Singapore) in a sidewalk café at Southbank.
    Police description of Jerry:
    About 5'7 -5'8. Crew cut hair, well nourished Caucasian male not of the stated age of 74. Appears to be 64 (further checking and verification advised) . Height consistent with estimated weight, possibly a 4.2 kg excess abdominal fat.
    Earlobe crease bilaterally, dress casual Queensland, alert, pleasant looking, gentleman demeanour. Partial to beer, appetite is moderate in this situation.
    Photo obtained.
    Best
    H

• Max Reif (11/5/2005 9:23:00 AM) Post reply Stage

You have apparently made your way to Australia. Did you tell us? How did I miss that? Is Brisbane a pretty city? I've imagined it is.

• Mary Nagy (11/5/2005 6:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

That must've been so nice Herbert! How lucky to actually meet eachother. Sincerely, mary

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/4/2005 7:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I have just posted a poem dedicated to Sherrie. To be read after dinner.
    Best
    Sir H(jr)

• Allan James Saywell (11/4/2005 5:43:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Dont worry my little Sherie i still love you in a twisted sort of a way

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/4/2005 4:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

That brings up a question from this end. A book published by a university dental school (I had posted details about it here previously) has 'commandeered' my poem Teeth and they are apparently publishing it. I was never asked and only found out on Google. Not that I mind of course but when I sent in a poem about the London bombing to the british Medical Journal where I regularly write medical stuff they did ask me to confirm that the poem could be published. There probably are no fast rules (?) .
    Best
    H

• Richard George (11/5/2005 2:06:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Is that the University of Michigan School of Dentistry? They've put my tanka epigram 'Breaking A Tooth' on their poetry web exhibition.

• Michael Gessner (11/4/2005 8:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Mr. Nehrlich: If the poem is not in public domain, that is, it has appeared years ago, (country laws vary on this, I believe in the U.S. it's 27,) and the author is no longer living, then the pie ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/4/2005 4:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

a great morning here in china perched up on the great wall drinking green tea
    and reciting my poetry to the great vast landscape

[Hata Bildir]