Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Allan James Saywell (11/13/2005 2:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

congratulations orgy asm who at last has a poem in the top 500 after all that hard work, three cheers for an orgasm

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (11/13/2005 1:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

May he or she or it emulate pale marygold, whose naughty little poem is way up there...wonder who that can be, or is it a *derivative* jest of LM and JC in concert?

• Marcy Jarvis (11/13/2005 3:37:00 AM) Post reply

I just posted a poem in celebration. You can read it as a children's poem... or you can read it as an orgyasm.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/13/2005 12:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

Did we go back to two poems in the anthology? I must have missed that decision.
    I have decided to edit my skinny bio if it is still possible.
    The entire project looks 'smashing'. Never thought it would be possible (although I am an optimist) .
    Hoping everyone has a Sunday as good as mine has turned out,
    Best wishes
    H

• Allan James Saywell (11/12/2005 11:19:00 PM) Post reply

apparently there are still some romantic young blokes left in tweed heads a
    small plane just flew past trailing a message, 'Will you marry me Claire'
    i hope the right Claire gives him the right answer

• Max Reif (11/12/2005 7:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Well, a fuse just blew when I was about 1/2 way through the SUBMIT process on a new poem. I have a longhand version, but you know, I'd done a LOT of fine-tuning of words, word order, etc. This never happened before. My wife and I both forgot that when I have the portable radiator on in my office, and she vacuums, kaploooey!

It's such a debilitating feeling. I just don't have the energy to re-do it right now. Gotta curl up in a ball for a little while. I don't feel depressed, but some recovery, maybe a little rest & TV, is necessary. Tomorrow morning I should be equal to re-doing it.

Imagine if, like Hemingway, you'd left the briefcase with all your short stories on a train...

• Michael Shepherd (11/14/2005 3:52:00 AM) Post reply

Sorry to hear that, Max. This site gets worse on submissions of longer poems. Used to be that if you backclicked, you could re-submit - but now they just go into cyberspace...even I write them on Word ... more

• Allan James Saywell (11/12/2005 11:02:00 PM) Post reply

max always save as you go four lines at a time select all then copy then you can ask it back later it used happen to me all the time to the point where you could tear your hair out but now if somethin ... more

• Max Reif (11/12/2005 7:49:00 PM) Post reply

I went to curl up in a ball in our big bed, with the hills and flaming trees outside the balcony windows, and wound up writing a poem I just posted, which 'says what I want to say', I think, more than ... more

• Lori Boulard (11/12/2005 7:29:00 PM) Post reply

Max, now here's a perfect opportunity to ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/12/2005 7:25:00 PM) Post reply

Sorry to hear that Max! I deleted my 'y ... more

• Declan McHenry (11/12/2005 6:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I was struck by the absence (but for one) of any work by Paul Verlaine. How do I go about adding the work of another writer to the site? Given Verlaine is long dead i'm presuming there would be no copyright issues.

• Lori Boulard (11/12/2005 7:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

not sure, but I think this was intended to include living folks. Not my original idea, though. To Saywell's point, why not add all the dead poets and make it really juicy? :)

• Max Reif (11/12/2005 6:49:00 PM) Post reply

Just so you feel acknowledged, I hear you, but I dunno.

• Allan James Saywell (11/12/2005 5:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

on the subject of poetry books i have produced one book with a number of my early poems, i have a complete new book with two beautiful bush pictures it
    has thirty nine of my earlier poems it is complete but it has to be edited
    it has hand drawings some mine some from a young female artist
    if i could get the queen of England to personly kiss each page using her lips
    then in writing tell everyone that it is indeed her lips on the pages then i
    would think about getting it published that is my thoughts on the value of
    a new book The first book was a huge disappointment to me personly for the
    very reason it was done to early the professional people who did the book couldn't spell dont get me wrong i loved the experience and i say to you people who have done books of there own or want to do books do it
    it cant kill you but make sure you can take disappointment i still have seven books i gave quite a few to libaries as gifts for the young children
    i have a CD DISK WITH THE BOOK ON cd the first book i allso have one of my poems on CD BEING READ BY A PROFFESSIONAL READER HE DID A GOOD JOB
    A BEAUTIFUL MORNING HERE IN TWEED HEADS

• Ivy Christou (11/12/2005 4:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I've just read Spike milligan's Poem called 'Oderon'.. My God that poem is stunning, noone has described depression better. since Poemhunter does not include it in his poetry E-book here it is:

Oberon

'The Flowers in my garden
    Grow down
    Their colour is pain
    Their fragrance sorrow.
    Into my eyes grow their roots
    Feeling for ears
    To nourish the black
    Hopeless rose
    Within me.'

• Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (11/13/2005 2:34:00 AM) Post reply

Spike Milligan, was a manic depressive comic genius, and we should all be grateful he was.

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (11/12/2005 5:44:00 PM) Post reply

It doesn't do that for me, Ivy. Just goes to show ya. We each have our particular 'constellation', apparently, for a poem to embody. by the way, did you notice that in the book in your bio, your ho ... more

• Lori Boulard (11/12/2005 2:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 8 replies

OK, Kids, IT'S OUT THERE FOR YOUR REVIEW! There are 3 files:
    'Intro'= cover, two commentaries and the Table of Contents (incomplete)
    'Bios'= biographies (duh)
    'Poems'= all the actual poems (again, duh)

Poems and bios are copied straight from PH/emails, so if something is missing (italics, bolding of certain words, etc.) please let me know changes via email BY NEXT WEDNESDAY (11/16/05) . I fixed a few blatant typos - ducument vs. document, untill vs. until, that sort of thing - but left others as is; IT'S EACH POET'S RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK THEIR OWN POEMS.

They are on a site set up by our wonderful Monsieur Ronberge (merci) at the following:

http: //www.geocities.com/ph_poem_collection_2005/

Enjoy! !

• Declan McHenry (11/12/2005 12:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

lol. Glancing through the forums it's with some trepidation that I enter here. It feels a bit like, I would imagine, entering the saloon from any old Western. So are people going to shoot me, my horse or my work? Alternatively I could just say hi and sit quietly in the corner.

Your call.

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (11/12/2005 3:06:00 PM) Post reply

Howdy, Podner! pppppt-Ding! ('scuze me, that was a wad a' chew'n tabaccy goin into the spitoon)

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (11/12/2005 1:27:00 PM) Post reply

yeah, love of language, Declan... pack your anti-blister creme..

• Lori Boulard Rookie - 1st Stage (11/12/2005 12:53:00 PM) Post reply

don't be afraid, Declan, unless you can't take joke once in awhile. I'm pretty new as well, but I'm still standing. There really is love under there, I swear!

• Marcy Jarvis Rookie - 1st Stage (11/12/2005 12:44:00 PM) Post reply

It's rootin, tootin one-ups-woman ship.

• Lori Boulard (11/12/2005 12:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

oooh, I just LOVE logging on to find our happy family playing together SO nicely. Such love in the air. Sherrie...anybody...can you post a personal favorite from JC's new book so we all can get a glimpse? I for one am curious...especially now!

[Hata Bildir]