Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie ***** ***** (12/9/2005 6:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Allan, you have used this ooohhhhh yeahhhhhh alias to be Liam, Terry ist, orgy asm, Nigel, Poetry Blob/the blob -

It is a little sad that you must busy yourself up with the silly alias game. I wonder if you think people don´t know who it is. Your messages are just that little bit transparent.

Things getting lonely over there?

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie ***** ***** (12/10/2005 1:16:00 PM) Post reply

because it can (and has so many times) get nasty and offensive... there is a fine line to cross before his ´personalities´as you call them move into insult and I am entitled to find such childish beh ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (12/9/2005 9:51:00 PM) Post reply

I think Allan and all his ''personalities'' here are rather amusing. What's wrong with him having a little fun and livening things up here? As long as he's not being rude and insulting (?) I don't ... more

• Rookie allan james saywell (12/9/2005 9:17:00 PM) Post reply

yes but my little Irish trick but i do have a life ohhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhh

• Rookie allan james saywell (12/9/2005 5:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

some poetry i'v enjoyed here on this site---

• Rookie Poetry Hound (12/9/2005 7:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Allan, I think I remember you from my 4th grade class. You were that kid sitting at the back of the room that tried to make other kids laugh by making farting noises while the teacher's back was turne ... more

• Veteran Poet - 1,100 Points Jerry Hughes (12/9/2005 3:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Dear detractors, I made an understandably simple spelling error in the previous posting of this poem. Being a dyslexic pedant I had to change it, also add a couple of inverteds on Michael's advice. The point I made earlier is, this humble effort may be likened to a third, or fourth cousin of Harold Pinter's.
    It's my protest against the murder of Iraqi civilians, many of them women and children, and at last count in excess of 100,000.

AFTER THE FIRST DEATH*

Amidst the rubble and confusion
    a child's hand, clutching a toy.

Near by

The hand's arm twisted grotesquely
    around a young dead woman.

Was it the hand's mother
    to which the infant body clung?

Sans hands, sans eyes, sans....

You did your job 'smart' bomb, but,
    'after the first death, there is no other.'

*The last line of Dylan Thomas' poem,
    A Refusal to Mourn the Death, by fire,
    of a Child in London.

• Veteran Poet - 1,100 Points Michael Shepherd (12/9/2005 4:19:00 PM) Post reply

Did I say how succinctly effective I thought it, Jerry? Indeed, I could argue that poetically, it's better than Pinter's...but I'd love to hear him read aloud yours, in his dry, ejected way.. it would ... more

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (12/9/2005 3:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

R.I.P. the Routemaster

• Rookie - 150 Points Michael Shepherd (12/9/2005 4:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I had a fantasy to buy one and loan it out. They're quite cheap, restored and going for a song - I think £8,000 or $/€ for the restored and $/€ 30,000 for the newer. Any annual event with garage space ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/9/2005 2:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Harold Pinter's Nobel Prize speech (still minimum press coverage in the UK, only the Daily Telegraph briefly today, how's the US doing?) is on Nobelprize.org...46 minutes, low and high bandwidth, but high visitor activity at the moment may delay your connection. Not to be missed.

• Rookie Jerry Hughes (12/9/2005 4:23:00 PM) Post reply

Michael, Pinter's lecture, Art, Truth and Politics. Astonishing, simply astonishing! The only other social commentator able to stand shoulder to shoulder with, 'our 'arold' is, the indefatigable Gore ... more

• Rookie Richard George (12/9/2005 2:20:00 PM) Post reply

On the website redmolotov.com you can buy a brown Tshirt with Lenny Bruce's face and comment 'Take away the right to say F%*$ and you take away the right to say F@! & the government'. Seems appropriat ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Cj Heck (12/9/2005 11:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

CJ Heck (12/9/2005 8: 51: 00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies | Delete this message

Hi everyone! I've got a question for you 'experts' in here.

I have a poem I would like to post, but it has sections in it that have to stand out from the rest of the poem for it to be read correctly. Does anyone know how to bold, or italicize, or print in a different color? I don't see where PH gives us a way to do that, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for your time and help.

Michael Shepherd (12/9/2005 10: 34: 00 AM) Post reply
    Ronberge is an expert, dammit, and another guy too, and Max as he said. And Nikhil does large point size like some people write epic. Italicizing is relatively easy. Only I've forgotten since Max told... more

Max Reif (12/9/2005 10: 10: 00 AM) Post reply
    I can help, I just don't have time now. Some time today or if not, tomorrow (if no one else shows you) .

Andrew Philips (12/9/2005 9: 58: 00 AM) Post reply
    I have the same problem, too. My 'Awakening of Life' reads differently with the indents, but the only way I could indent was underscores.

• Rookie - 0 Points Poetry Hound (12/9/2005 3:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

CJ, maybe ask David K. Z how he is able to post his poems in red/brown typeface. He just posted one a little while ago.

• Rookie - 0 Points Cj Heck (12/9/2005 11:09:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks for replying, gentlemen. I would definitely like to use italicizing when someone has the time to explain it to me. I'll check back here later on. Max? When you're not busy, okay? Again, m ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/9/2005 6:04:00 AM) Post reply

I hope you all get to see and hear Pinter's Nobel speech. A political activist with research behind him, playwright, actor and poet - it's a great experience, and it's being swept under the carpet very swiftly, while we wait for the smooth obituaries... it gives a clue to his poetry too: he tries to transfer his succinct, pared-down conversational playwriting to poetry, so the familiar cliches that are the very essence of his playwriting need to have him read them aloud to take off from the banal printed page (which you're reading silently but in your own subjective, critical voice - don't ever forget that; and he'd like to write with the force of Neruda's savage Civil war poems (in translation) . Don't judge poems - place them. Otherwise, it sounds like pretentious pomposity.

• Rookie - 227 Points Robert Rorabeck (12/8/2005 9:43:00 PM) Post reply

Oh, if you want to read a truly great poet check out Alan Dugan- his latest poetry collection, Poems Seven, is immortal.

• Rookie - 227 Points Robert Rorabeck (12/8/2005 9:41:00 PM) Post reply

A few of Pinter's poems can be found on Poem Hunter- Certainly he's not bad (the poem posted below is, though) . I bought a book of his poems and essays and found his poetry very good if not all together great- Better than Jim Morrison, though. His poem about War and Football which ends with kissing on the mouth is fecking excellent, however, and should be checked out.... On a entirely different subject, has anyone out there discovered the Detroit Cobras yet? I just got a couple of their CDs and boy-O do they kick ass.

• Rookie Joseph Daly (12/8/2005 6:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

For an excellent piece of Christmas verse can I suggest that you have a butchers at Amberlee Spurling's 'A Politically Correct Christmas Story.

• Rookie Mary Nagy (12/9/2005 6:30:00 AM) Post reply

She is amazing for her age! You're right Denis..........that is a great poem. She really is a talented writer. Very impressive. Sincerely, Mary

• Rookie Max Reif (12/8/2005 8:56:00 PM) Post reply

I'll try to get there and read it. Shepherd wrote a nice piece about that the other day, too.

[Hata Bildir]