Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/20/2005 10:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

that gets rid of the eating and abusing of family now what was the original reason for being thankfull who started the idea in the first place was it being thankful for whipping a bit of english ass in the great war of independance orrrrrrrrrrr

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/20/2005 9:36:00 PM) Post reply

when one of you Americans tell me all about your thanksgiving when i asked so politely, then only then, will Teddy come out of the freezer

• Rookie - 799 Points Jerry Hughes (11/20/2005 3:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

Movers, Apostles and Shakers, I wanted to share this very beautiful Rupert Brooke poem with you. It's seldom read these days, a bit dated one might say? Nevertheless, Brooke at his best.

THE SOLDIER

If I should die, think only this of me:
    That there's some corner of a foreign field
    That is forever England. There shall be
    In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
    A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
    Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
    A body of England's, breathing air,
    Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
    A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
    Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
    Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
    And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
    In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

• Rookie - 799 Points Ernestine Northover (11/21/2005 3:28:00 PM) Post reply

Agreed, a fantastic poem. One of my favourites. Love Ernestine

• Rookie - 799 Points Max Reif (11/21/2005 7:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Michael, your comment helps explicate this for me. Reading it, I found the language sensitive, but the patriotic sentiments seemed somewhat atavistic. But I suppose we all have a 'place' that we're gr ... more

• Rookie - 799 Points Michael Shepherd (11/21/2005 5:06:00 AM) Post reply

Naive it was, and ironic it turned out to be. The British are a fighting nation, and Brooke is typical of that generation of idealistic young men who in 1914 believed that it was noble to fight, even ... more

• Rookie - 799 Points Lori Boulard (11/20/2005 8:36:00 PM) Post reply

Sherrie, good or bad, I think we Yanks n ... more

• Rookie - 799 Points Michael Shepherd (11/20/2005 6:06:00 PM) Post reply

For many, Jerry, this is THE English poe ... more

To read all of 6 replies click here
  • Rookie ***** ********* (11/20/2005 12:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Just wanted to say, thank you to all who have read and commented so kindly on my work in the past couple of weeks. I have to go with the flow for a while. Nice meeting you all. Be sure I will follow your work and say hello from time to time.

All the best you all. Gone fishing! Tai

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/20/2005 8:45:00 AM) Post reply

Wow! Algie Swinburne's a hot write in Poemhunter's Poem of the Day, getting right down there in cleavage country...

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (11/20/2005 5:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

If you want to see an interesting poem about a father and his daughter, read 'To A Sad Daughter' by Michael Ondaatje.

• Rookie - 150 Points Marcy Jarvis (11/20/2005 10:42:00 AM) Post reply

Did you see the Russel Banks book turned movie, 'The Sweet Hereafter'? This reminds me of the father/daughter relationship of that lawyer and his drug-addicted/HIV infected daughter, Zoey, only this ... more

• Rookie - 150 Points Michael Shepherd (11/20/2005 10:31:00 AM) Post reply

I never thought about this until Max brought it up and we mentioned Mary and Todd - the finer the 'family relationship' poem, and the more I want to know the other side's story! Like, why goalies, wha ... more

• Rookie - 799 Points Jerry Hughes (11/19/2005 11:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

This has nothing to do with the Big, or Small Yin who, with the greastest respect has overstayed (his) visit to the forum. But to openly thank Herbert Nehrlich, for the advice and help he gave my son Mark, who as some of you know,
    is going through the early onset of Parkinson's.

The value of genuine friendship is gold nuggets. So I take this opportunity to thank Herbert, most sincerely for his kindness and generosity.

Dank mein freund

• Rookie - 799 Points Ernestine Northover (11/20/2005 12:42:00 PM) Post reply

Dear Jerry. We are all with you all the way I know, with what you are going through. This is the time when friends are a great support, and I'm sure I can say for all of us on Ph you have our unstinti ... more

• Rookie - 799 Points Mary Nagy (11/20/2005 11:45:00 AM) Post reply

I hope your son's doing well Jerry.

• Rookie - 799 Points Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/20/2005 1:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jerry, I know nothing, have done nothing, will say nothing other than that I know you would not be like the one as dscribed in my poem 'Miffed'. I think we may have a good drink together some day aft ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/19/2005 7:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

has anyone seen a teddy bear who looks like 'BILLY CONNELY, in the company of a beautiful dark haired woman

• Rookie Alice Vedral Rivera (11/19/2005 7:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I read your poem and it's quite hysterical. And no, I haven't seen your teddy bear with or without a beautiful dark haired woman. I have one of my own - he's about 5'4', dark hair, stocky build, Pue ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/19/2005 4:32:00 PM) Post reply

poetry is similar to the theory of the big bang

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (11/19/2005 4:21:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well, that puts me in the mood for a nice little haiku. Anybody got one?

• Rookie - 150 Points Mary Nagy (11/19/2005 4:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Here ya go Poetry Hound! Christmas is coming My kids are making their lists. I need a good job. I hate haiku..........so I hope I did it right! Your request is my command! :) I'm han ... more

[Hata Bildir]