Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (10/26/2005 7:35:00 AM) Post reply

i am somewhat surprised nobody here has heard of Garland Jeffreys. he's a black recording artist who sounds a bit like Mick Jagger (or ol' Mick sounds like him) . i put him on par with Leo. Cohen in the sense that Garland has been recording for decades but is relatively unknown. his lyrical style does little to rival Cohen's however.

Garland Jeffreys music range is broad. he's done rock, pop, blues, reggae, and jazz.

i brought him up because i started listening to him again. and i'm even remixing a song he did in 1991 'Hail Hail Rock & Roll' from his race-conscious album 'Don't Call Me Buckwheat'. i thought it apropos since this year mark the 50th anniversary of Rock&Roll itself.

anyway, Garland is pretty good but virtually unknown. worth checking out on iTunes or RealRhapsody if you have them.

Jake

• Marcy Jarvis (10/26/2005 6:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Why do poets put sometimes capitalize every line in their poem? I know why I did it when I first started writing poems on a computer, because the program was automatically doing that to each new line and it was frustrating to go back and correct them. Sometimes you'd do it and then it would all go back to capitals the next time you opened it. Now I look at those poems though, and I don't like it. And I look at other people's work, and especially those who write short lines, and I feel like it distracts me. I feel like I should be looking for a word in the capitals or something, like the A.E. Poe 'Poem of the Day' today.

And this brings up something else, how has writing on a computer changed your writing - if you're old enough to remember writing on a typewriter, like I am...

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Michael Shepherd (10/26/2005 5:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

...in the hope of bringing this discussion to an end: so, is fluoride toothpaste - which my dentist is all for - OK, while fluoridation of water isexcessive or unnecessary or harmful?

• Michael Shepherd (10/26/2005 7:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

My local water company doesn't fluoridate, I've checked. Only 2% of Europe now does. As a classicist, I may revert to the Roman toothpaste, based on human urine, its ammonia content brightens the teet ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/25/2005 9:52:00 PM) Post reply

i'm going to write a book and call it my disappearing words, i could have sworn i wrote something a while ago and posted it on the forum

• Mary Nagy (10/25/2005 7:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

At the risk of not liking the responses (Yes, I admit this may happen) :) I am going to ask for 'advice'. I am attempting to write without rhyme. It's not easy for me because truly that's how it comes out....I guess I'm trying to expand my poetry. The title is 'Walking Away From Your Life'. I'm not sure what the 'expected' rules are and I kinda hate to follow rules (exactly) so I'm just wondering if this works or not. Feel free to be honest. :) Thanks, Mary

• Mary Nagy (10/25/2005 11:02:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks to all of you for the advice...is this site great or what? How lucky are we to be able to get help from other writers like this.....(and so quickly!) I appreciated all of your points and I l ... more

• Michael Shepherd (10/25/2005 8:38:00 AM) Post reply

I've now read the poem, Mary, and congratulations... after a day or two, you might look back on it from a little distance, and consider whether as a reader of a 'stranger's' poem, it might be more pow ... more

• Max Reif (10/25/2005 7:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

You are very brave! Yeah, there really aren't any rules. It's however you can best deliver the impact. All the figures of speech (which are the same as in rhymed verse) simply go to enhancing the c ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/24/2005 1:00:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

hello is anybody there you can come out now they have all gone to get a glass of water anyone want to talk about the bird flu

• Michael Shepherd (10/24/2005 5:09:00 AM) Post reply

Divine - or natural law's -(take your choice) retribution for factory farming. Take one look at a photo of one of those chicken sheds...

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/24/2005 12:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

thank god they must have put hitler to bed i find conversations about hitler to be boring he's dead he wont be back how about we move on kiddies and poets

• allan james saywell (10/23/2005 8:48:00 PM) Post reply

Hello my little sweet peas let us give thanks for this beautiful day you are having a good day i'm thinking about releasing my new book(wait for it)
    Sexy Litter Boxes Full O Poetry' has a ring to it doesn't it my little beauties

• allan james saywell (10/23/2005 7:24:00 PM) Post reply

i am pleased to inform you that i have lodged a protest to the cake and yorkshire pudding society about the revolution against the serving of cold pudding in my country, and to tell you i have a cousin who used to belong to the bloody yorkshire ripper club

• Michael Shepherd (10/23/2005 3:50:00 PM) Post reply

JC, Amazon UK only list 'The Gift' and 'Christmas Story'. Can Chax Press get them up to speed? Since although Chax quote a very reasonable price in sterling, I don't have Mastercard or Visa which they require.(The debit card from HSBC, 'The World's Bank' quote unquote, is useless...!)

[Hata Bildir]