Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • t. h. ashbury (10/21/2005 8:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

the netherlands is a model that makes sense, having been there, whcih, i must admit, was an eye opening experience, drove home some simple truths for me. i'd be curious to know if others disagree...

point 1 - it makes policy sense to distinguish between recreation and addiction.

point 2 - the natural vs. synthetic argument obscures what we should be talking about - the harm of our current policy and if anyone has the balls to countenance and effectuate something else.

point 3 - how far does the prison industrial complex in the us have to go - before we the people decide to do something meaningful instead - that is, will we relinquish our fear of a different approach to find a solution?

salut.

point 3 -

Replies for this message:

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/21/2005 6:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

why dont we take all the addicts out to devils island issue them with free
    medication set up a rehab on the island dont have any cars ex wives ex husbands or parents or any thing they can damage and see what happens we
    can call it a experiment with free drugs if they happen to say anything
    write it down we can call it beat poetry

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/21/2005 5:32:00 PM) Post reply

lets bring england back perhaps he might explain to all you people about the benefits of being on drugs he seemed to know all about it

• Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (10/21/2005 5:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

For all those who think injecting heroin is just a prank during the growing up porcess, please read my poem Death Of A Daughter. I saw it happen, and witness to the subsequent distruction of this girls family.

Her father, a one-time good friend of mine, blames himself for not being stronger. Her mother lives a miserably cloistered exsistence, trying to find solace through prayer. And failing.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/21/2005 7:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Yes Jerry, I have seen it many times and I also meet the pushers in their fancy cars on the streets. There is in my opinion zero tolerance for illicit drugs, a prerequisite for civilised living.. Bes ... more

• Poetry Hound Rookie - 1st Stage (10/21/2005 7:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Adam, that was a very interesting commentary from you in response to Shep, just like your previous comments about middle class attitudes in poetry. I saved that Kleinzahler poem when you first posted it, and I much prefer it to Prynne. But between those two extremely different styles, there must be many other contemporary poets whose work deserves admiration. I don't know that they're British or not, but I don't think that matters so much any more in this globablly interconnected world. I agree that there is a lot of shallowness and gimmickery, but it's not limited to the UK. So I'll see your Wendy Cope and raise you a Billy Collins. Some of the contemporaries that I admire, and I'm interested in your opinion on, are Li-Young Lee, Linda Pastan, Lisel Mueller, and Wislawa Szymborska.

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (10/21/2005 4:33:00 AM) Post reply

Adam, your delineation of the typical contemporary British poet had me falling about. I don't currently read any British poetry. Are there any names you care to mention which are worth a glance from all of us here? And do you share my admiration for Tony Harrison?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (10/20/2005 9:35:00 PM) Post reply

Dear Fellow Brethren:
    I just posted a poem about an opportunity that only the Church can provide.
    I think that we cynics ought to rule the world. And, thank you God for religious freedom.
    Best H
    'Must Write To The Pope Now'

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler Rookie - 1st Stage (10/20/2005 2:49:00 PM) Post reply

my poem 'Princeton' refers to Princeton Illinois, a small farming community north of Peoria, where my dad grew up vice the college of academic prestige.

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (10/20/2005 1:12:00 PM) Post reply

I'm soliciting feedback on 'Autobiographical Fairy Tale', a poem I just posted. Actually, I posted it a couple hours ago before I was done revising it. It sort of went out half-dressed. Now I feel it's ready to be seen; I just re-edited.

Is it 'too' anything? (Is it 'not enough' anything?) Please put any comments under the poem.

• Marcy Jarvis Rookie - 1st Stage (10/20/2005 12:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Speaking of Princeton - Jake, it's satire, right?

To read all of 1 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]