Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Andrew Konisberg (6/22/2005 12:08:00 PM) Post reply

I don't want to get too involved in the debate...Lamont, Jefferson, Michael...but I am, as you know, a bit troubled by a rather 'brick wall' distinction between poetry and prose. I have only read a couple of Bruce's pieces but I think there is room for all kinds of poetry on the site (I'm aware that nobody suggested a contrary view to that) ...and in the 'real' poetry world, all kinds of poetry is accepted whether it is more prose-like (in terms of its feel...I mean, prose can be very poetic and have lots of internal rhythm, something that is often overlooked) ...poetry can appear to be whimsical and there be a lot going on beneath the surface...giving the impression of whimsical prose when there is, in fact, a clever eye behind the typewriter...

• Michael Shepherd (6/21/2005 2:14:00 PM) Post reply

Yo bruvs, tookalooka him Grandmaster Flash, yeah? thass one cool dude, read him Da Message, ri'? i'm sayin', sem-in-al rap, knowwhaameanmaan? an Them Jeans now thass sassy yeah? bu' big Black Caddy now thass sumpn else maan, one lo-o-o-ng ex-ten-ded met-a-phor honky-speak-like...thassome wri-tah yeah?

• Michael Shepherd (6/20/2005 5:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Guys, one of you messaged me about studying philosopher-economist Mandeville and.....Hobbes was it? a day back and I've wiped it. Was it you, Andy? Now Mandeville (who's seldom mentioned these days) is my urgent research figure, would you believe. Help please. How did he fit in the story for you? I've got my version, but secondary sources vary.

Funnily enough, I was going to suggest you looked at Max Reif...

Replies for this message:
    • Andrew Konisberg (6/20/2005 6:45:00 PM) Post reply

it was me, Michael. I also researched Adam Smith for a few months but not Hobbes. I told you that I did a little study of European economics between 1500-1800. I'll send you a lengthy e-mail in the ne ... more

• Michael Shepherd (6/20/2005 8:43:00 AM) Post reply

A propos 'word-music', euphony, whatever, Hilaire Belloc's poem which is poemhunter's current day-star, could almost be a Gilbert & Sullivan lyric in say, The Mikado?

• Andrew Konisberg (6/20/2005 6:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The 'exquisite corpse' is on-schedule (!) and will be 'exhumed' and ready for critical dissection on 6/23/2005.

• Laura Cummings (6/20/2005 5:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

where is the line between poetry that has musical beauty.... and a poem that sounds to much like a song? I dont wanna read my stuff and then think 'woah, way to Linkin Park' :)

• Michael Shepherd (6/20/2005 7:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Laura, I'd go along with Andy there. In olden times, when I was a lad (note the Lamont-approved 'music' in that phrase...) there was a term of approval applied to poetry - 'euphony', meaning 'sounds ... more

• Andrew Konisberg (6/20/2005 5:41:00 AM) Post reply

I think that most 'musical poetry' does not work well with music...the words don't work as music. Of course, you can put any words to music and in the case of Leonard Cohen (for example) it is a clos ... more

• shehla carol (6/19/2005 1:55:00 PM) Post reply

i read maxim gorky's 'My Apprenticeship, My Universities'.has anyone heard about it? i want to discuss about this book.

• Michael Shepherd (6/19/2005 7:43:00 AM) Post reply

Jefferson - the Chaucer representation on this site is far more substantial than most students even at uni level get to read - but the fun Prologue is a bit weird here. It's chopped into five-line stanzas, which makes nonsense of the couplet form; and just as we get to the wonderful Wife of Bath - one line and she's gone! so we miss the ironies and great lines elsewhere like 'methinks he seem-ed bisier than he was...' and 'alle nycht he swyved her bolt upright' and 'tee-hee, quod she, and clapt the window to'.. ah well. Enjoy.

• Poetry Hound (6/18/2005 5:12:00 PM) Post reply

I’m interested in the psychology of those who brag about being in the Top 500. Surely they know they are not better poets than William Shakespeare and other greats who are ranked lower than them. So what do they think their ranking signifies? Even they themselves are vague about the significance of it. What it comes down to, I think, is that they are seeking validation for their poetic efforts and a numeric ranking provides a shortcut to that validation. They can’t get published or enjoy the praise of poetry readers and writers, but by gosh at least they are in the Top 500 list of one poetry site on the internet, even if they are ignorant as to how that Top 500 list is compiled. And it’s interesting that they aren’t curious about how it’s compiled. Perhaps they don’t want to face the truth that it’s based solely on hits. But surely they must already suspect this, since what else would account for their higher ranking than William Shakespeare? As for envy, if folks here are envious of anyone, they are probably envious of Pablo Neruda, T.S. Eliot, and many other greats. They are not envious of Nikhil Parekh because the envy is based not on numeric ranking but on talent.

• Andrew Konisberg (6/18/2005 4:55:00 PM) Post reply

Congratulations, Nikhil, for achieving the world-record forum posting on Poemhunter. I note, as I predicted, that not even ONCE did you discuss poetic form and also, as I predicted, you used the word 'envy' because of your deficits in the study of poetic devices. Posting a poem would not pass muster as a lucid debating skill in any literary debate unless one could discuss the forementioned poem to prove a point, and you didn't. I only claim to be a mediocre poet. Herbert and yourself claim to be up there with the greats but you can provide no argument to substantiate your views. I think you've proved my point, Nikhil. I say this with God's grace.

[Hata Bildir]