Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Allan James Saywell (9/14/2005 4:59:00 AM) Post reply Stage

it is probably not the place to tell bird stories but i have been having visits from a couple of pee wee's one male, the males have bushy eyebrows much like
    men over sixty the females have a lot of courage two pee wee's visit me most days of the week come right inside and pick crumbs from the floor while chirping and singing to me i leave a fish-bowl full of water outside on the patio, so they can drink and bath if they wish, i am five floors up which of course is no problem for the birds but i do feel a certain honour in the fact
    that they did choose my unit to visit, and were else would you have turkeys walking down little hill street to nest for the night in some man made bush
    we also have crows parrots magpies honey-suckles, owls kookaburra's yes they
    laugh at me all the time and yes it pisses me off

• Allan James Saywell (9/14/2005 12:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

when i read Mahnaz's poem about chocolate and red wine, i was in the bath eating chocolate and washing myself with red wine, and screamed because i thought i was bleeding

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (9/14/2005 3:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Allan this is sooooooooooooooooooooooo funny! Really, I laughed for the second time today (the first time was when I realised that I had lots of chocolate left, a good supply of red was in the pantry ... more

• Allan James Saywell (9/13/2005 10:57:00 PM) Post reply Stage

i have just opened a a small velvet lined tape case full of music that belonged
    to a friend of mine who passed on a couple of years ago one of the tapes is
    called 'Bing sings for children' with title small fry, swinging on a star,
    the headless horsman, brahm's lullabye, there are three cases full of jazz
    and blues i am going to listen to it one day for a bit of inspiration
    when i have a spare week or two
    if you have a artist in mind who you cant get any music for just dropp me a
    line in the forum i will look in the collection to see if the artist is there or not

• Allan James Saywell (9/13/2005 10:15:00 PM) Post reply Stage

i used to love 'the rock island line' johney cash did a version and i think tommey steel did a version it was about a train loaded up with pig iron
    started up slow then it sped up as a young man i was blown away by it

• Allan James Saywell (9/13/2005 6:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

the best things in life are free
    but you can keep them
    for the birds and bee's
    just give me money
    thats what i want yeah, give me money
    thats what i want, yeah thats what i want
    yeah give me money, let me bathe in money
    thats what i want

• Michael Philips (9/13/2005 8:47:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Not bad, but for my money a better song of similar rhythm from that era was 'Dancing In the Street' performed by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas: Calling out around the world Are you ready for a ... more

• Ron Price (9/13/2005 6:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

INVENTIONS AND ANONYMITY

Aldous Huxley once wrote that our nations are to a very large extent invented, created, by their poets and novelists.1 The same, I think, could be said of our religions, our global society and our own dear selves. The biographies, the narratives, of the people who live, work, and interact in towns and cities are, taken together, the biography of the community and of a people in the process of becoming. Such a view could be said to have its theoretical underpinning in a sociological theory called symbolic interactionism.

“Some will object that such a biography can form no part of a true history, ” observes Peter Ackroyd in the Introduction to his book London: The Biography.2 The biography of a city “cannot be conceived in its entirety but can only be experienced as a wilderness of alleys and passages, courts and thoroughfares” that are “in a continual state of change and expansion.” This is true of biographies of cities and individuals because social reality is a changing, diverging, emerging, coalescing cauldron of forms. There is a wholeness and an innerness that historians like Burckhardt and Voegelin described. –Ron Price with thanks to 1Aldous Huxley, Texts and Pretexts: An Anthology of Commentaries,1932, p.50; and 2Peter Ackroyd, London: The Biography,2000.

I am created, as are all my beliefs
    within something, against something,
    within some wider social unit,
    some solid buildings and their cracks,
    in underlives and their ordinary selves.
    I survive in the hidden cracks
    where I seek the privileges
    of acceptance, achievement,
    and affection in dramaturgical roles:
    episodic, historical, mostly short-takes.

There’s a sort of norm of anonymity,
    adjunct to all those short-takes,
    to the civil inattention, unencumbered
    by the need to express or the desire
    to sustain serious, intimate, relationships.

It is anonymity where we are free from
    the bumps and distractions with others.
    We are relieved from the burden
    of responsibility for the problems
    of others while fantasy, make-believe,
    images, models and plans become
    the essential glue of our social life.

Ron Price
    September 13th 2005

• Raynette Eitel (9/13/2005 9:57:00 AM) Post reply Stage

This says so beautifully what I truly believe, Ron. We are not meant to be islands. We need the people, belief systems, cities, villages, countryside that wraps us up and defines us. Those who thin ... more

• Michael Shepherd (9/13/2005 5:22:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Andy, if we accept the classic definition of trade and commerce as 'the exchange of goods and services' - and give a little thought to the 'services' - it's beyond criticism. I'm not the economist that you are, but 'capitalism' suggests the fear that those who amass power through expert finance may use that power unduly. Rupert Murdoch is a close friend of Tony Blair, and owns a worldwide media empire...

• Raynette Eitel (9/13/2005 6:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

But Michael, the evil isn't in amassing great wealth. Rather it is using power unduly. Hitler came into power, not through money, but by manipulation and his use of words. You can name a number of ... more

• Allan James Saywell (9/13/2005 12:41:00 AM) Post reply Stage

stephanie the young girl from south AFRICA WANTS TO HELP ME BUILD A WEBSITE for my poetry isn't that wonderful, three cheers for stephanie

• Stephanie van Oudtshoorn (9/12/2005 4:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

hey, some of my poems have been on poem hunter for a while but i've just started viewing the site a lot. i haven't had many comments on my stuff and would appreciate it if you guys would give an opinion (even if you think your opinion might be too honest!) thanks

• Stephanie van Oudtshoorn (9/13/2005 7:20:00 AM) Post reply Stage

just wanted to say thanks for all the comments! the feedback is very much appreciated. (oh and michael thanks, you wouldn't belive it but the thought that it should be catepillar makes somuch sense bu ... more

• Michael Shepherd (9/13/2005 6:01:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I left two brief comments on your individual poems.

• allan james saywell (9/12/2005 10:41:00 PM) Post reply Stage

your poem empty spaces the geometry of the poem is good it has a certain circular feel about it, it has definately left a void in my poetry thought a empty space in my brain, that has become null and ... more

• (B10Z ) (9/12/2005 3:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Does anyone know where you can publish your poems to be included in a book of poems?

• allan james saywell (9/12/2005 10:57:00 PM) Post reply Stage

you will receive a letter from a office in new york asking you to give them one of your poems and asking you to correct any errors they would have found your work published somewhere else, or found y ... more

[Hata Bildir]