Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 533 Points Jerry Hughes (10/26/2005 7:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Movers, those who eat soup with a fork, and Shakers. A little reminder that life through poetry isn't all doom and gloom. Nor is it a venue to vomit hatred,
    intermixed with racial vilification on to defenseless paper. Here's an example of how poetry can touch the soul deeply.

MORNING SONG

Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
    The midwife slapped your foootsoles, and your bald cry
    Took it's place among the elements.

Our voices echo, magifying your arrival. New statue,
    In a drafty museum, your nakedness
    Shadows our safety. We stand round blankly as walls.

I'm no more your mother
    Than the cloud that distils a mirror to reflect its
    own slow
    Effacement at the wind's hand.

All night your moth-breath
    Flickers among the flat pink roses. I wake to listen:
    A far sea moves in my ear.

One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
    In my Victorian nightgown.
    Your mouth opens clean as a cat's. The window square

Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
    Your handful of notes;
    The clear vowels rise like balloons.

Sylvia Plath

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie - 533 Points Allan James Saywell (10/26/2005 7:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

i have to ask this question i realize it's not the place to do it, but how much do YOU pay for a litre of petrol on average in the USA

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/27/2005 4:30:00 AM) Post reply

I am so happy that my 5.7 Hemi V-8 uses so little fuel. H

• Mary Nagy (10/26/2005 7:43:00 PM) Post reply

Here in Michigan we are paying $2.40 per gallon.......that's for normal gas. Diesel fuel is $3.39 per gallon (that's really riling the truckers!)

• Rookie - 533 Points Allan James Saywell (10/26/2005 2:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

the poet who has the need to mark my poems with a one is back in town and i say to you thank you you must really care about my work to go to that much trouble

• Rookie - 533 Points Allan James Saywell (10/26/2005 2:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

got out of bed to have a early breakfast only 5.15 in the morning in tweed heads the rest of the family are sound asleep children seem to need sleep
    might have a bowl of fluoride for breakfast this morning

• Rookie - 533 Points Allan James Saywell (10/26/2005 1:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

the only thing i remember from my schooldays is the boy stood on the burning
    deck, tarzan swings tarzan falls, tarzan breaks his-- no i'v forgotten

• Rookie - 533 Points Michael Shepherd (10/26/2005 11:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I'm so cynical that any report that says 'There is no evidence that...' (harms, doesn't harm, etc) I assume means either they haven't devised a sound test, or they're selling something...

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/26/2005 8:46:00 PM) Post reply

Michael it is the wisdom of age, nothing can beat it. Just watch as it further increases in the next 18 years and stay away from the fluoride. I will eat my hat and Sherrie's pink brassiere if I can b ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/26/2005 8:43:00 PM) Post reply

Yes NAIVE is right. There is no evidence is often supported by 'findings' from epidemiology (statistics) , which is mostly useless and cannot be used for proof of anything but often is. Probably, th ... more

• Poetry Hound (10/26/2005 2:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It's standard language from careful scientists and researchers in all fields, Michael. 'There is no evidence that.. ' means exactly what it sounds like, that there's always a possibility that evidence ... more

• Rookie - 533 Points Poetry Hound (10/26/2005 10:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Okay, skip this if you’re sick of all this fluoride talk. To save space on the main page, I am posting info on scientific findings as a response to this message.

• Poetry Hound (10/27/2005 5:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I don't understand why you feel the need to make sweeping judgments about anyone who disagrees with you. This has absolutely nothing to do with trusting authorities. I don’t automatically trust the go ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/26/2005 7:53:00 PM) Post reply

In order to stop cluttering up the site with fluoride info, let me suggest you send me your e-mail address and I will send you one study from Harvard University, a doctoral dissertation that will come ... more

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Rookie - 533 Points Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (10/26/2005 7:35:00 AM) Post reply

i am somewhat surprised nobody here has heard of Garland Jeffreys. he's a black recording artist who sounds a bit like Mick Jagger (or ol' Mick sounds like him) . i put him on par with Leo. Cohen in the sense that Garland has been recording for decades but is relatively unknown. his lyrical style does little to rival Cohen's however.

Garland Jeffreys music range is broad. he's done rock, pop, blues, reggae, and jazz.

i brought him up because i started listening to him again. and i'm even remixing a song he did in 1991 'Hail Hail Rock & Roll' from his race-conscious album 'Don't Call Me Buckwheat'. i thought it apropos since this year mark the 50th anniversary of Rock&Roll itself.

anyway, Garland is pretty good but virtually unknown. worth checking out on iTunes or RealRhapsody if you have them.

Jake

• Rookie - 533 Points Marcy Jarvis (10/26/2005 6:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Why do poets put sometimes capitalize every line in their poem? I know why I did it when I first started writing poems on a computer, because the program was automatically doing that to each new line and it was frustrating to go back and correct them. Sometimes you'd do it and then it would all go back to capitals the next time you opened it. Now I look at those poems though, and I don't like it. And I look at other people's work, and especially those who write short lines, and I feel like it distracts me. I feel like I should be looking for a word in the capitals or something, like the A.E. Poe 'Poem of the Day' today.

And this brings up something else, how has writing on a computer changed your writing - if you're old enough to remember writing on a typewriter, like I am...

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie - 533 Points Michael Shepherd (10/26/2005 5:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

...in the hope of bringing this discussion to an end: so, is fluoride toothpaste - which my dentist is all for - OK, while fluoridation of water isexcessive or unnecessary or harmful?

• Michael Shepherd (10/26/2005 7:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

My local water company doesn't fluoridate, I've checked. Only 2% of Europe now does. As a classicist, I may revert to the Roman toothpaste, based on human urine, its ammonia content brightens the teet ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]