Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 505 Points Jerry Hughes (10/16/2005 3:50:00 AM) Post reply

I'VE LIT THE CANDLES UPON YOUR CAKE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SALLY.

• Rookie - 505 Points Max Reif (10/15/2005 10:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

We had all this nicely resolved about 8 hours ago, as a matter of taste.
    I don't want to die for this poem, but there are many celebrated poets from whom I get NOTHING, and I did get something from this one. I've actually *read* Fussell's 'Poetic Form and Poetic Meter', and I've read a fair amount, I don't know if any amount of reading would make me the same as anyone else.

I'm getting tired of the discussion. I guess I'm trying to have the last word. Rather doubtful that this will be it.

Replies for this message:
    • Poetry Hound (10/15/2005 10:20:00 PM) Post reply

Of COURSE it's a matter of taste. But that's not all it is. It's also a matter of recognizing what's been done a million times before. If you nevertheless like something that is derivative or cliche, ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/15/2005 10:16:00 PM) Post reply

No Max, you will NOT have the last word, lest we call you mad Max. But you are exactly right (sometimes I sense the voice of reason in you) it does come down to taste. You may drive a Chevy Caprice a ... more

• Poetry Hound (10/15/2005 10:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Well, sorry for not having been around 8 hours ago, Max. But I find the discussion interesting. Why do you want it to end?

• Rookie - 505 Points Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/15/2005 8:02:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I just posted a Van Dyke like poem 'Only For You'. So, go ahead and attack it for its audacity to not go straight to the Rice Krispies Box.
    Best H

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie - 505 Points Max Reif (10/15/2005 8:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Looks like we're choosin' up teams for a football game!
    And football's a muddy sport!
    Would it be less of an Infinite divide if we used words slightly less charged than 'hideous'? Or shall we petition Collette to have TWO Forums?
    Or perhaps a moratorium?
    On WHAT, I don't know, I just love to say 'moratorium'!

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/15/2005 8:03:00 PM) Post reply

Right you are (again) Max.I think your students are getting a less than hideous start in life.Moratorium is better than poetry crematorium as well. Best H

• Rookie - 505 Points Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/15/2005 7:08:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I just read the poem by van Dyke and find it heartwarming, filled with a musical beauty that needed expressing and was done well, I am sure there are better poems on the subject but there is nothing at all wrong with this one.
    Must have rather simple tastes.
    Today it seems fashionable to discard everything that's old, declaring it obsolete, worn out, over-the-hill, useless. What doesn't make too much sense though is the oft-encountered situation that the critics are usually unable to match the quality of the ones they are so eager to discard.
    This poem was written with feeling and what it conveys to the reader justifies not cement boots in the Hudson River but a place among the Forget-Me-Nots.
    Best
    H

• Mary Nagy (10/15/2005 7:24:00 PM) Post reply

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this one Herbert! Mary

• Rookie - 505 Points Michael Shepherd (10/15/2005 6:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Several of you here are teachers of poetry or literature.
    A 15-year-old says he likes a certain poem.
    Do you ask him 'What exactly do you like about this poem? '...?
    No - it's 'You're not reading THAT poem in MY house, son...'
    I pity your own children if that's the way you behave at home.
    Or in class.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/15/2005 7:38:00 PM) Post reply

Michael I do appreciate the combative streak in you, especially when you are right. I also think that some of the dismissive attitude displayed by various people in all walks of life stems from a dee ... more

• Rookie - 505 Points Michael Shepherd (10/15/2005 4:54:00 PM) Post reply

Jesus K.Rice Krispies! We're 'talking' about a poem which a 15-year-old happened to mention he liked... because of some internal music which he had heard in it... a 15-year-old whose poems are IMHO pretty impressive for his age, and which I suggest we might care to advise him on, even encourage him to continue writing...

• Rookie - 505 Points John Kay (10/15/2005 4:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

'A Lover's Envy' is a hideous poem of the highest order. I agree with Jefferson. I would hope that this shallow, unoriginal, undeserving, cliche choked, sentimental, stale joke of a poem never be thought of as a model or valued in any way. Was this poem reading material recently printed on the backside of a box of hamburger helper, for god's sake. Frankly, I can't believe that we are talking about this poem 150 years after it broke so many hearts. It is nothing short of the enemy of this art form. For years I fought with students who felt that 'anything' anyone wrote was sacred and shouldn't be criticized, that the standards of good poetry writing were all a matter of opinion, and their opinions were as good as anyone elses. I might actually use a poem like this as an example of exactly what not to do if you want to write a good poem. I'm surprised that this one didn't find its feet in cement at the bottom of the Hudson.

• Poetry Hound (10/15/2005 10:57:00 PM) Post reply

Words of wisdom, John. You hit the bulls eye. Regards.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/15/2005 7:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Personally, I think you are dead wrong.Judging by the standards you appear to espouse where would you place most or all of your poems? In front of some imaginary class as examples of how to be modern ... more

• Rookie - 505 Points Allan James Saywell (10/15/2005 4:09:00 PM) Post reply

if you want a poem about a simple person and a simple poem have a read of my
    'simply simple English'

• Rookie - 505 Points Michael Shepherd (10/15/2005 2:51:00 PM) Post reply

If Daniel had been less modest and simply asked us to judge his poetry, I think he would have received a warmer reception. Here's a very young chap who's got the sound of poetry in him to an exceptional degree. He's done his homework on poetry, he shapes his poems with care, and his musical, lyrical talent perhaps explains why he picked one of the most lyrical poems of a poet very much of his times, whose lines 3-4 of each verse are not a mile from Gershwin and Cole Porter in their fluent 'dance'.
    He may be a little too 'English' for some Americans - who follow the conventions of their own time also - but for me, he's caught the sound of that particular moment when the very national wit of Betjeman sparked a drier but not dissimilar international wit in Auden - whose echoes can be heard in one or two of Daniel's poems, and all credit to him for that. I sense a fine future for his poetry. See what you think of them, JC and others...

[Hata Bildir]