Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Max Reif (8/22/2005 2:54:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Sherrie, are you looking for excitement here? Is that what the rest of you are looking for? I don't get off on interpersonal conflict. I mean, lively discussion's one thing. Are you looking for name-calling and insults? Is that what excites you guys?

• Matthew Pearson (8/22/2005 9:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies Stage

Hello friends. I have been on a four-day break on the Mississippi with my partner. Very nice it was too. I now feel reinvigorated and ready to open the bottle of truth serum for y'all. The Mississippi. I may grace this site with a few mediocre poems about it. Be grateful. You'll m(d) iss me when I'm gone. I will turn into vapor at the turn of the new year. I am then commissioned to write a new book. I'll take advance orders and insults. Long live the Mississippi and all who sail in her.

M. P.

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/23/2005 6:25:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Well I am so sorry that you did not like my Mississippi poem. I notice that you re-introduced yourself to the forum after your trip by calling us 'friends'. I would have thought that you could resis ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/22/2005 10:20:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well I took the liberty of re-creating the adventures of a couple Northerners on the Mississippi. Hope I got the story factual enough. Best wishes Herbert Huckleberry

• Max Reif (8/22/2005 12:44:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Ahoy, mate, from a veteran who has sailed the length and breadth of the Mississippi, New Orleans to St. Paul! And a lovely journey it was, too! (I worked as a deck hand on towboats for a couple mont ... more

• Courtney Kane (8/22/2005 11:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

certain excitement we probably can do wi ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/22/2005 10:49:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Happy New Year, Matt, and is there a dif ... more

To read all of 6 replies click here
  • Ryley Wooton (8/22/2005 3:08:00 AM) Post reply Stage

hello everyone im looking for the name of a poem. its about a girl who is riding in a car with some boys and the car gets into an accident. she wakes up in the hospital and she knows she's going to die so she tells the nurse to tell her parents that she's sorry. the girl dies. then the nurse say's she cant because the people in the other car were her parents. if you know the name of this poem or who it was written by please tell me. thanks.

• Shiraz Ray (8/21/2005 11:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

Hello,
    I am Shiraz from India and fairly new to the pristine art of poetry. I have started with Ezra Pound in recent times and would love to know something about his poem entitled 'Cino', which appeared to me as an autobiographical sketch. Did I get that right or was it meant to convey some entirely different thoughts? Would like some light thrown.

Thanks,
    Shiraz

• Michael Shepherd (8/22/2005 5:04:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Perhaps Max will bear me out on this: 'Hugh Selwyn Mauberley' is regarded as Pound's most 'revealing'poem, if not his most indirectly 'autobiographical' - in that it sets out the poetic 'persona' he s ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/22/2005 4:12:00 AM) Post reply Stage

That's a very auspicious start, Shiraz! The general 'official' view about Pound has been that, OK, he influenced Eliot with his world view of poetry, but wasn't so good a poet.. too full a head, perha ... more

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 11:32:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Dear Shiraz, Hello and welcome! I did not know that poem. I looked it up and felt it not to be *basically* autobiographical, because I once studied Pound, a little. I remembered that he was fond of ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 10:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

Thanks a million to especially Sheila, Mahnaz, Mary, Michael and &&&&&&&&&
    it was the solution. It's working again. I had a friend come over with a program that deletes cookies. He put the program on while we both munched some Fig Newtons........and had a couple of VB Bitter beers.
    Also thanks to Allan, who is always there as well when the Help sign comes from this end.
    It's good to know that people take the time to smell the roses, eat cookies and delet them where necessary.
    H

• Max Reif (8/22/2005 12:47:00 PM) Post reply Stage

happy to have you all here again, Herbert!

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 10:53:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Also many thanks to Aaron and Kenneth.. Good info for the future. Best wishes Herbert

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 4:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

I do not want to hijack the forum but I am still on the excluded list.
    Cannot access any poems. Sheila Knowles suggested I get rid of all the cookies on my computer.
    How on earth do you do that? I thought cookies were something like oatmeal or Oreo or Fig Newtons////
    Help!
    H

• A.p. Sweet (8/21/2005 7:10:00 PM) Post reply Stage

oh ya by the way fig newtons or not cookies they are fruited cake.

• Ali Khorvash (8/21/2005 2:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hello every body.
    I have published my FIRST poem on poem hunter.
    its my first experience in writing a poem.
    would you please read it and tell your idea?
    its named: You are mine.
    thanks...
    Ali Khorvash

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 4:51:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Welcome, Ali! I see there are already 5 or 6 comments under your poem, I bet even more are on the way...

• Michael Shepherd (8/21/2005 8:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

OK guys, in keeping with the new code of conduct, I'm announcing the birth of a new poem. It came unannounced and interrupted lunch, and since it was 'oned' by some reader of discrimination within two minutes of posting, there's nothing you can say... I'm not even sure I'm its father, anyway...

• Raynette Eitel (8/21/2005 11:57:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Everyone ought to read this. It is contemporary, upbeat, and very very funny. Raynette

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 10:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

by the way, I think you might be able to vote many times...for other people's poems, of course, not your own. But we can always make 'deals'! ...

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 10:06:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Maybe you should do the MUSIC next time & find a lyricist...JOKE! I've got ya up to 6.7. We can have a telethon to pull your sagging score up to the ceiling! Hell, up to the sky! I enjoyed the poe ... more

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 9:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Michael, we're ALL one!

• Michael Shepherd (8/21/2005 4:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

I can get your poems, Herbert.I rather liked no.1116.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 5:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I just went to Complete Classic.com and all my poems are accessible there, the sites are related and very similar. So it really cannot be my computer, right? H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 5:31:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I don't know which is number 1116 but thanks for saying so. I have also tried to access my poems through Google, all I get is a blank page. I vaguely remember Sandra Osborne having a similar problem s ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 1:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Is anyone having the same problem......no poems, just blank pages visible?
    H

• Raynette Eitel (8/21/2005 11:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Everything is coming through just fine for me. Some pages ought to be blank, however, but that's another subject. Raynette

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 9:49:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Ah, the Blank Page Poems! There's a Chinese novel entitled MONKEY (it's in an English translation by Arthur Waley) , about someone who goes on a dangerous quest fo a sacred scripture that tells the ... more

[Hata Bildir]