Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Allan James Saywell (8/25/2005 8:21:00 PM) Post reply

send the custard forget the poem

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/25/2005 4:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

In Australia and New Zealand father's day is celebrated on the first Sunday of September.
    I thought you all wanted to know this.
    Best wishes
    H

Replies for this message:
  • Poetry Hound (8/24/2005 7:55:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Here are some terrific lines and images (in my opinion) from the recent past. There is some true talent on this site:

eight thousand men prepare to meet thy maker and everyone else (You and I)
    cross lines we should never have to cross, in time to music, with a spring in our step.
    -From A Kind Of Kristallnacht by David Harkins

Does the daughter
    Sense her grandmother’s
    Hands grasping
    Forever in her thumbs
    -From 8.36 Holding onto Forever 2 by Charlotte Ballard

The drone of locust and cicada,
    asleep for one hundred years,
    waking now in stringent song,
    -From This Is The Summer by Stephen Parnell

you remind me of the lullaby which rocks
    the silence into dreams of voices, noisy
    with singing the same song, until they eclipse or rewrite
    the lyrics in the chorus of years
    that is the funeral procession from birth to rebirth.
    -From Swing-Sets by Amberlee Carter

Buying only outlines of dreams you once devised
    That I could squeeze into
    As awkwardly as the virgin foot into high heels
    As redundant as thanksgiving cards to neighbors.
    -From Eating In by Matthew Pearson

The purpose of arts is to seduce women and when women produce a piece of Art, they are longing for a kiss
    -From School Of Arts (Soothing Madness) by albert vynckier

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (8/25/2005 11:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Thank you, Mike. But why do you hate to admit that? I dont hate to admit if I like your work. Are going soft in the head and biased too, or am I misreading your comment?

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (8/25/2005 11:06:00 AM) Post reply

Charlotte Ballard's recalls Lamont's own (I hate to admit this) beautiful, fine poem on Mothers and Daughters...

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Lindsey Rogers (8/24/2005 5:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey y'all, I'm new and obviously Southern from that introduction. Haha. I just wanted to know if anyone has read 'Tipping the Velvet' by Sara Waters? It's an amazing book and I love Sara Waters so if anyone has read it I'll be amazed. Just reply back if you've read it, I guess. I hope I can become on of the regulars on here! I know how competitive these places are though, haha.

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (8/25/2005 6:46:00 AM) Post reply

It was made into a TV film here, so we all saw it and even know what the 19th century phrase means... it got pretty good reviews, too, apart from the cor-look-at-them factor, as it was well acted. Yea ... more

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 2:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

I agree with Matt's 'mexican language' analogy. Frankly, if You post your poems here, you can expect either 4 things..to be praised, to be ripped to shreds, to be misunderstood, or to be overlooked altogether. This is a public forum and in some sense, the 'big leagues', in that a great many mags wouldnt publish a poem that is already on PH because they'd consider the PH poems already 'published'. So if you're a rank amateur, feel free to 'publish' your poems here, but be prepared for the possibly less than glowing comments of others. You're sharing a site with the likes of Dickinson, Whitman, Stevens, Pound and Eliot; and I've seen some tough comments on their work too. As long as the remarks are basically respectful, fairly informed and intelligent, and not catty or snotty or personal, and not just a blanket 'you're AWFUL', I'd say anything goes.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 7:10:00 PM) Post reply

In the spirit of Carter the man from the desert I announce what y'all have been waiting for: A rhyming poem about current events. No similarities beyond the rhymes. Best wishes H

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 4:02:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

.. and you forgot the fifth thing, Lamont - you might even get a polite, helpful suggestion or two, via the messaging service... something far more valuable than the other four, and not infrequent, ha ... more

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 2:44:00 PM) Post reply

I think she means if the critiquer does not understand the sentiment of the poem its unfair to give it a low rating. For the record, the sentiment of the poem is secondary to me. I look for originalit ... more

• Matthew Pearson Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 2:32:00 PM) Post reply

I would say that for the poet NOT to und ... more

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 10:21:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

I would like to bring up again the topic of etiquette in Comments. Not everyone is writing to be published in an anthology of British and American poetry. Some 'love poems' on this site are actual being written to a person the author is in love with. I don't feel it's appropriate to critique such pieces with a cold analytical scalpel.

In addition, for many people here, English is a 2nd or 3rd language. A piece of writing in English is likely a great effort, of which they're very proud. You don't have to like it, as 'sophisticated' Western poetry, but what is to be gained, I ask-for anyone-by dumping on such efforts? Unless someone is really an aspiring 'literary' poets like some of us Forum folks, why not just appreciate what's there or discreetly, tactfully, leave what balm of silence is on the page intact, and go on to the next poem?

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 11:37:00 AM) Post reply

And here's the moment to thank and praise Ronberge for correcting with a light grace, my lousy attempts (out of green envy for their chansons populaires) at French lyrics... Amicalement votre, mon ... more

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 11:32:00 AM) Post reply

Of course, you could go for constructive criticism in non-show-off language...

• Matthew Pearson Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 11:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

So, you are saying it is fair to judge people by different criteria? That smacks of unfairness and prejudice to me. It is a poetry site. If it were a dating service or an 'improve your English' site t ... more

• Poetry Hound Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 11:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It's hard to read people's minds as to t ... more

To read all of 5 replies click here
  • Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 9:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

For those who love deconstruction as I do, especially in ad campaigns, Slate online mag. has a neat deconstruction job on the latest slew of US recruiting posters...almost worth a poem...

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 7:26:00 AM) Post reply

AHOY AHOY!

still going full swing with the Corpus Dickenson... i had Monday and Tuesday off work in an abrupt turn of events. but i'm back and were already halfway thru the list of contributors. it's all coming together nicely, i might add.

nothing like poetry on company time!

upward, onward.

• Nagamuthu Osho Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 1:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Hail! Poets! Savants!

Reading, wrighting and inspiration leads to proud, profound and sound wisdom?

sOME gets wisdom without reading?
    some gets knowledge after training some skills?

But eternal wisdom pours, flows, glows like a lamp!

The lamp of truth, enlightnes, relumes the Soul!

God Bless you!

• Cheri Leigh Rookie - 1st Stage (9/8/2005 9:46:00 AM) Post reply

Nice use of 'wrighting' instead of writing. As poets we are, in the old english sense, word-wrights.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 6:14:00 PM) Post reply

And I concur with Sherrie (again!) . This word sounds great to my foreign ears and I have suggested appropriate professional help for the 'troublescent' poet on this site. H

• Richard George Rookie - 1st Stage (8/24/2005 5:20:00 AM) Post reply

Like the neologism 'relumes'.

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (8/23/2005 7:19:00 PM) Post reply

I've started reading UNDERSTANDING POETRY, by Robert Penn Warren and Cleanth Brooks. We used it as a text in high school, I think, though I was too busy in adolescent daydreams and showing off to absorb much.

I recommend the book as a treasure to anyone who wants an entrance into the world of poetry via the 'reading' end of the tunnel or the writing end. Whether the book is a review or a brand new acquaintance, the combination of provocative critical writing and commentary on wonderful poems, makes for a rich adventure. In fact, I JUST POSTED A POEM ABOUT READING THE BOOK.

My finding it and checking it out of the library was occasioned by a dim memory I had of it after my wife and I saw the powerful film 'All the King's Men' that was made of Robert Penn Warren's best-known literary work.

[Hata Bildir]