Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • David Hock (7/23/2005 12:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

hey casey, you out there?

Replies for this message:
  • David Hock (7/22/2005 12:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

have any of you checked out marcy jarvis? pretty brilliant stuff. Pieces like 'An Arch Typed' recall some of the neo avant-garde poets like Kenneth Koch— might resolve some your squabbles about intellectualism vs. Wordsworth's 'spontaneous overflow of emotion' in poetry. The Title Bout! in this young know-nothing's opinion, great art happens in the tension between— can't separate body and soul. no ghosts in the machine in poetry. Eliot ostensibly hated Whitman, but read him copiously. dirty habit, I guess— couldn't help the influence. but blah blah blah, I'll shut up now before I hurt myself.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/22/2005 6:30:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Gee David, this makes me think. I will go back and read some more of her stuff right this minute. Might keep you informed re progress or changes, if any. Best H

• Michael Shepherd (7/22/2005 4:26:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Sherrie, thank you indeed for the encouragement to read Sheila Knowles. A revelatory poet. I've just written an extended comment on one of her poems, so won't try to repeat it... but I've read right through her offerings and feel wiser and more human for the experience. And yes - a superlative demonstration of the definition of free verse as 'prose with enhanced consciousness'. Makes some painstaking wannabees read like stick-on word kit...

• Tommy Munos (7/22/2005 2:47:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Can some one please read my poems, and tell me what genre you think they should be in. Me personily write about sad dark life events. Please rate them and tell me what you think of them. Be honest, even if it mean.

• Tommy Munos (7/21/2005 2:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

I am new on this web site. I am very young, but I've been threw alot. Can any one please read my poems. They are sad, and some are dark. I still have a couple I still havent typed. Please go and read the ones I have typed.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/21/2005 4:27:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I have read three of your poems. Personally I suggest you concentrate on your school work, namely spelling, grammar and the rest of the three R's, read the poems of others here and elsewhere (they say ... more

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Raynette Eitel (7/20/2005 1:04:00 PM) Post reply Stage

My comment about people gravitating to what they most understand and connect with had nothing to do about good poetry. There are those of us (not everyone) who enjoy a good challenge, whether in poetry or prose. Others just want to sit and be entertained or validated in some way. Just because a poem is steeped in philosophy or brilliance doesn't necessarily make it 'good writing.' Lamont's poetry is good writing because of his vast, sweeping metaphors as well as the way he makes his experiences with life universal. Many won't want to work hard enough to experience the fullness of his poetry (or T.S. Eliot or Whitman or Plath...) Those who want a more passive experience with poetry can laugh or cry or nod and say, 'That's exactly how I feel' without having to piece it out. Both kinds of poetry have something to offer the reader and we don't have to say which is better.

• Max Reif (7/19/2005 8:43:00 PM) Post reply Stage

But I still feel we need to be careful about 'one size fits all' definitions. The analogy of astrology came to my mind this afternoon. Astrology's a useful metaphor because it's a shorthand for talking about the different basic, psychic 'hard-wiring' people have. One person will only be effective writing passionate poems just this side of screams-controlled screams, in fact-while another, with a more philosophical bent, will be at his/her best turning things around the way Lamont does.

I'm not sure that it needs to be a problem unless we make it one. We'll all have our tempermental favorites, of course...The discipline, as with marriage, may be in embracing the OPPOSITE of what one is tempermentally comfortable with. There might be a case to be made that that's how one grows, as in a marriage partnership, for example.

I guess I'm presenting something along the lines of the Jungian idea that each of us has a 'shadow' that we need to assimilate before really being whole. And if another poet's style or vantage point irritates us, some might say it's because that person is living out a part of our shadow, and the irritation might be putting us on notice to integrate that disowned side into our own conscious personality.

• Jerry Hughes (7/19/2005 5:31:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I note, with disdain, the cockroaches who scurried back into the sewer when Poem Hunter appointed a mediator have crawled back, in different guises, but using the same tediously boring cliches to insult one another.
    C'est la vie?

• Allan James Saywell (7/19/2005 3:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

some of us understand poetry Jc some dont you have to feel poetry you
    have to feel what you write not just give birth to a lot of words out of the dictionary and put it on a page, it wont work easy rider

• Max Reif (7/19/2005 4:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Thought I'd posted this a little while ago, but don't see it: Do poets still take seriously Wordsworth's dictum on poetry as 'emotion recollected in tranquility'? That covers both sides-feeling and, ... more

• Max Reif (7/19/2005 8:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies Stage

I notice some of my best poems, or the ones I feel are the best, have no comments and/or low ratings. Yet I still feel they're some of my best. Anyone else have that kind of experience?

• Max Reif (7/19/2005 3:29:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Interesting discussion. Thanks, everyone!

• Richard George (7/19/2005 2:58:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Absolutely, Max - one of mine that's in my book Vertigo Swimming and was published in a good place in U.K. small press got 6 marks ALL of 1 out of 10. (I chickened out and deleted it) . Bear in mind, ... more

• Casey Rock (7/19/2005 10:49:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I think that many people prefer just to read a poem and move on to the next. I, for one, often feel like reading poetry without dissecting, rating, or passing a judgement on it (at least where everyon ... more

• Raynette Eitel (7/19/2005 10:36:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I notice the same thing, but that's the ... more

To read all of 5 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]