Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Max Reif (8/17/2005 7:51:00 PM) Post reply

I never saw this poem before today. Just discovered it poetry-essay-hopping. I find the idea so delightful. The poem really creates a world. I dunno about where it goes with that world, but I just love to think of the nouns standing around, etcetera. Language is certainly alive!

PERMANENTLY

by Kenneth Koch

One day the Nouns were clustered in the street.
    An Adjective walked by, with her dark beauty.
    The Nouns were struck, moved, changed.
    The next day a Verb drove up, and created the Sentence.

Each Sentence says one thing ­­ for example, 'Although it was a dark rainy day when the
    Adjective walked by, I shall remember the pure and sweet expression on her face until the day I
    perish from the green, effective earth.'
    Or, 'Will you please close the window, Andrew? '
    Or, for example, 'Thank you, the pink pot of flowers on the window sill has changed color recently
    to a light yellow, due to the heat from the boiler factory which exists nearby.'

In the springtime the Sentences and the Nouns lay silently on the grass.
    A lonely Conjunction here and there would call, 'And! But! '
    But the Adjective did not emerge.

As the Adjective is lost in the sentence,
    So I am lost in your eyes, ears, nose, and throat­­
    You have enchanted me with a single kiss
    Which can never be undone
    Until the destruction of language.

• Allan James Saywell (8/17/2005 4:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

i just made a comment on a poet on this site just a little bit of truth
    and suddenly the comment disappeared so much for freedom of speech
    he prides himself on his ability according to him for the critic to be honest
    well i was honest went to his bio he comes from washington, say no more

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (8/18/2005 4:41:00 AM) Post reply

Well the first eight words give the game away, don't they?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/17/2005 5:48:00 PM) Post reply

From Washington yes, but not Washington DC. The clowns live in the latter, in the former the brains tend to rust since they have a prolonged rainy season. Out of 365 days,45 are not cloudy/drizzly. It ... more

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (8/17/2005 1:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Cadaver update! ! so the corpse is moving right along. and we've welcomed a few more PHers on board since it kicked off. so far, after putting all the stanzas together, it seems to come together rather nicely. next time, we should do a Corpse on Charles Dickens' Breasts!

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/17/2005 5:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am not familiar with the drinking habits of Charles Dickens. Liver damaging substances like alcohol will eventually cause the development of male boobs, due to an imbalance (excess) of oestrogen.As ... more

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Hailie Barker (8/17/2005 11:21:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

hi everyone! i'm new here, and to writing poetry, and i was wondering if anyone could offer me some inspiration. i've hit 'a writers block'! lol thanks x

• Richard George (8/17/2005 2:11:00 PM) Post reply

What I normally do is go out of doors, to a cafe or a pub maybe or just a park bench, and observe people and let my impressions of them guide me. It's surprising how often an event happens that can th ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (8/17/2005 11:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

we're collaborating on an Exquisite Corpse poem on the Forum. the topic is Emily Dickenson's Breasts. if you want in, i can add you to the list. just let me know! the rules of the game are eac ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Mike Dunning (8/17/2005 4:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Hello all I am new here so please be gentle with me LOL

When I was at school I read a poem I think it was called '50,000 body bags'

Can anyone help me out with finding this poem I thought it was by charles Causley but is not on here

• Peter Robinson (8/26/2005 7:47:00 PM) Post reply

I know the poem you are looking for. I have it at work. Unfortunately, I'm away on a course this week so can't access it. I may have a copy on file somewhere. If you're not in a rush I can certain ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/17/2005 10:20:00 AM) Post reply

Gwynn and Kinnell also wrote well-known poems entitled 'Body Bags'...

• Michael Shepherd (8/17/2005 10:14:00 AM) Post reply

If you Google: International War Veterans Poetry Association, you'll get some pretty devastating poetry, including Moller's 'Body Bags'. Ouch. There's a bit of confusion hereabouts, since '50,000 bod ... more

• Richard George (8/17/2005 4:57:00 AM) Post reply

I think you want the forum 'Looking for ... more

• allan james saywell (8/17/2005 1:34:00 AM) Post reply

when are you going to bury that corpse Jake you had a little success why not
    let it decompose and may it rest in peace

• Maty Grosman (8/17/2005 1:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

RE:
    'Poetry Snob (8/16/2005 2: 37: 00 PM)

Yes, and an idea without words (fresh diction, basic undwerstanding of sound, etc.) is boring pomposity. Snob'

Your statement is not valid because a word (i.e. a concept) IS an idea! If it is not, as I said, it is gibberish. (A sound that represents nothing and has no connection to existence.)

As much as I didn’t want to get into any personal affairs around here, you seem to be both anxious and desperate to enter one...How come you (unsuccessfully) try to answer a remark I made on a comment (which substance it did happen to understand, and agree with, while correcting only the way it was presented) before attempting to uphold your previous arguments?

For the future, I just want to state that I have no intention of engaging myself in childish games. I have neither the time, nor the interest do so.
    If you want to have a proper, valuable conversation, from which we both might collect some fruits; I will be more then happy to continue.
    Yet, if all you are going to do is keep trying to prove that yours is bigger then mine, you better find someone else to challenge.

Sincerely, for the last time,
    Maty.

• allan james saywell (8/16/2005 8:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

hello everybody i'm your new self appointed critic who will serve the members of this sight without fear or favour

• Poetry Hound (8/16/2005 9:31:00 PM) Post reply

Hello Allan 'Poetry Blob' Saywell. I would say anyone who comments on a poem here is a self-appointed critic.

• Max Reif (8/16/2005 8:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Welcome, Blobbie. That's a nice, poetic name. I saw 'The Blob' when I was ten.Do you know we already have Poetry Snob? Are we gonna have Poetry Fob, Poetry Bob, Poetry Slob, etc, etc all joining us to ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (8/16/2005 10:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

i thought i'd give about 24 hours for folks to come on board with the Corpse Poem, so here we go.

we'll make it topical. 'Emily Dickenson's Breasts' seems to be the topic of choice. each poet will compose a five line stanza. i will PM each of you when your turn comes with one (1) line from the preceding poet for you to start your stanza off. please reply back to me with your stanza and i'll move it along.

if you have any burning questions, just shoot.

• Michael Shepherd (8/16/2005 10:17:00 AM) Post reply

My assessment is: there are three factors here. One is that PH has shortened its post-it time (though not always): second, it seems to have created two log-in streams, one for home page, one for posting; and third, whenever a server gets near being taken over by a bigger server, it's probably because of overloading and lacking the resources to expand. Right now, wanadoo which took over freeserve, which was getting worse and worse, asks for a redial sometimes every 20 seconds at peak times. So one sometimes can't get (because of the redial pending) back to what was going on before. AAAARGH.
    Put the three together and life's a bit... (Redial pending) ... ch.

[Hata Bildir]