Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Allan James Saywell (7/19/2005 3:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

some of us understand poetry Jc some dont you have to feel poetry you
    have to feel what you write not just give birth to a lot of words out of the dictionary and put it on a page, it wont work easy rider

Replies for this message:
    • Max Reif (7/19/2005 4:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Thought I'd posted this a little while ago, but don't see it: Do poets still take seriously Wordsworth's dictum on poetry as 'emotion recollected in tranquility'? That covers both sides-feeling and, ... more

• Max Reif (7/19/2005 8:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies Stage

I notice some of my best poems, or the ones I feel are the best, have no comments and/or low ratings. Yet I still feel they're some of my best. Anyone else have that kind of experience?

• Max Reif (7/19/2005 3:29:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Interesting discussion. Thanks, everyone!

• Richard George (7/19/2005 2:58:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Absolutely, Max - one of mine that's in my book Vertigo Swimming and was published in a good place in U.K. small press got 6 marks ALL of 1 out of 10. (I chickened out and deleted it) . Bear in mind, ... more

• Casey Rock (7/19/2005 10:49:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I think that many people prefer just to read a poem and move on to the next. I, for one, often feel like reading poetry without dissecting, rating, or passing a judgement on it (at least where everyon ... more

• Raynette Eitel (7/19/2005 10:36:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I notice the same thing, but that's the ... more

To read all of 5 replies click here
  • allan james saywell (7/19/2005 1:21:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

IT APPEARS A FEW POETS ARE ENTERING AN EARLY SENILITY AND ARE CONFUSING ME WITH AJS WHAT IN GODS NAME GAVE YOU THAT IDEA, I DONT MIND I COULD USE THE PUBLICITY

• Albert E. Neumann (7/19/2005 3:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

No need to shout old man...we can read your pitiful offerings just as easily in lower case.

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • allan james saywell (7/18/2005 4:53:00 PM) Post reply Stage

carter does the JC REALLY STAND FOR(ARE YOU REALLY HIM)

• Max Reif (7/18/2005 8:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

It can get a bit intense here. A person could conceivably spend 24 hours every day writing, posting, critiquing, and discussing poems on this site. I'm finding it to be an addiction. The process certainly 'cures writer's block', but I feel it messing with my mind. I'm not blaming anyone, it's my own addictive personality. Anyone else ever get similarly affected?

• Michael Shepherd (7/18/2005 11:30:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Ho yes.. I was thinking just the same thing this morning, as I logged on here, wishing I were writing a poem instead...then guess what? I read another poet, and bingo! I tuned in to something in their ... more

• Raynette Eitel (7/18/2005 10:48:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I, too, find this site addictive. I am fascinated by poets from all over the world having needs for comments and (perhaps) help. I am happy to get comments from such a diverse group of poets. And y ... more

• allan james saywell (7/18/2005 7:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

shepard why dont you go back to herding sheep, you are good at it i am a free man
    i dont have to be directed by you on what and what not to do how i present my poetry is my business, maybe i need a place to hide from busybodies like you

• Robert Rorabeck (7/18/2005 12:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

For some reason Poetry Hunter wont recognize any of my poems plus it deleted all my poems from my homepage, yet still recognizes their titles.... very strange- Has anyone checked out Casey Rock's poetry yet? This poet is very, very good.

• Max Reif (7/17/2005 1:59:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I often get a 'hit' while reading someone else's poem, or simply participating in or observing some activity. It's a fresh 'gestalt'. If I'm not home, I write a few lines on a scrap of paper and save it. When there's time, I try to fill it in to express the fullness of what I felt or 'saw', in language that is poetic. Often, that process takes me places I didn't originally envision.

When I lived near a little forest in New Jersey, I used to try to describe the creative process this way: I go out into the forest, and in it I come to a red brick wall. The circular wall encloses a sacred area, and there's no way in. I walk along the wall, along and along it. Then 'something' happens, and I'm inside!

• Poetry Hound (7/17/2005 12:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Shep, the other day you said you were once told that there's only one question a critic should attempt to answer and that is, 'Does this achieve what it set out to do? ' I've been thinking about that and in discussions I've had (or overheard) with novelist friends and acquaintances over the years, they always talk about how they don't really know where their story will go when they start writing. They might start out with some inspiration or an idea but they're not really thinking about what they're trying to 'achieve.' Maybe it's different with poets since you can more easily think out a poem in advance. I'm curious, so this is a question for anyone who'd like to answer it. What is the mental process you go through when you write a poem? Is most of the theme and direction thought out before you start writing and do you have a pretty firm idea of what it is you're trying to 'achieve? ' Or do you just start out with a snippet and see where it leads?

• t. h. ashbury (7/17/2005 8:58:00 PM) Post reply Stage

i know this is dreadful, forgive me, but the answer for me, is, it depends...

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Lamont Palmer (7/17/2005 9:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I'm curious about Andrew Motion. I can't seem to find any poems of his online.

• David Nelson Bradsher (7/17/2005 12:29:00 PM) Post reply Stage

They're hard to find, Lamont. I googled him, but put in 'Spring Wedding', 'Imagine This', 'Veteran', 'Regime Change', 'Diving', and you'll get a few samples. Oh, and 'Causa Belli', too. I personall ... more

[Hata Bildir]