Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Poetry Hound (5/27/2005 9:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Check out new poet John Kay. I'm interested in folks' opinion of his poetry. Warning to Lamont: John writes in full sentences.

Replies for this message:
  • Allan James Saywell (5/26/2005 10:40:00 PM) Post reply

andrew you enter my equation, of what is bright and what isn't i'm glad you said attempt, dont try to write anything that is beyond your grasp, dont tell me what i should or should't do, you are a person who has to hide behind a cloak
    which says it all i dont i am who i say i am, i write what i want you are a sheep who follows the narrow flock, do me a favour read something simple
    dont read my work give your ones to other people

• Allan James Saywell (5/26/2005 9:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

sonja i find you a very limited person, with very little room for expansion
    in your poetic scope in otherwords what sonja thinks everbody should follow
    or else, i am my own man, i write what i want to write not what people tell me to write, i seek no favour from any other poet, nor will my influence be swayed by what other people write or think, you just had to use the old shock word
    which is not a shock word anymore

Replies for this message:
    • ***** ***** (5/26/2005 10:31:00 PM) Post reply

and, indeed, making up silly aliases to get back at them.....

• ***** ***** (5/26/2005 10:30:00 PM) Post reply

if you seek no favour from other poets then why the hell do you moan about people giving you negative comments and ratings? ? ... shouldn't you just get on with the business of writing and ignore them ... more

• Allan James Saywell (5/26/2005 7:41:00 PM) Post reply

you removed your poems from this site sonja to gain attention

• Allan James Saywell (5/26/2005 7:17:00 PM) Post reply

Sonja get a life go and lie in the green grass and stop kidding yourself
    woman with no humour, i bet you take bitter pills for breakfast

• Poetry Hound (5/26/2005 5:33:00 PM) Post reply

I heard her interviewed about the book. She was excellent. Of course she couldn't include all the great poems but there was a method to her madness in which ones she selected.

• Allan James Saywell (5/26/2005 5:15:00 PM) Post reply

yes i am guilty of being careless with my spelling but the peoplewho read my
    work get a great kick out of telling me, i use my mind i dont use a brush
    if i put it in a book then i would get the poem checked by a person
    who can spell even though they cant compose poetry

• Raynette Eitel (5/26/2005 3:48:00 PM) Post reply

Well, speaking of 'testiness, ' I have a comment to make about the way we write poetry. Some poets don't seem to think it is necessary to spell correctly. It seems to me a bit like an artist who is disdainful of mastering the use of a paintbrush or a musician who throws squiggles aimlessly at a musical staff. Words spelled incorrectly get in the way of the message and say that the poet is not taking his/her craft seriously. It is an insult to the reader, as well. There. I've said it, now do with it as you will. (This certainly was not directed at you, Lamont!)

• Michael Shepherd (5/26/2005 1:39:00 PM) Post reply

JC, that's a good idea. I didn't think we did a very good job on James Mills, actually. (James, would you like to comment on the comments?)

Could you post your critique/appreciation, Lamont, to get us going, since you're probably best at this?

I'll be late in posting, as I'm off on a philosophic symposium for a week. I have already read it, but not yet carefully enough to critique it.

• Raynette Eitel (5/26/2005 11:48:00 AM) Post reply

Shouldn't there be age requirements to this website? Sounds like some junior high kids who are trying to shock everyone. I thought this was a discussion page for IDEAS or good books and poetry...not empty thoughts. We have talked about the music in poetry and it made me remember a poet in a workshop I attended years ago. Her name was Elizabeth Shafer and she made her living writing a syndicated poem and wrote poems on the side. Although they were wonderful, big poems, she read them aloud in a flat monotone voice. I asked her about that and she said, 'A poem should stand on its own without theatrics.' I think Shakespeare might disagree, although I know there are some actors, like Richard Burton, who could make a grocery list sound like a song. There definitely is a musical quality in good free verse, but defining it exactly is difficult. I think every poet should read his/her poems aloud before ever presenting it in print.

[Hata Bildir]