Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Allan James Saywell (5/26/2005 7:17:00 PM) Post reply

Sonja get a life go and lie in the green grass and stop kidding yourself
    woman with no humour, i bet you take bitter pills for breakfast

• Poetry Hound (5/26/2005 5:33:00 PM) Post reply

I heard her interviewed about the book. She was excellent. Of course she couldn't include all the great poems but there was a method to her madness in which ones she selected.

• Allan James Saywell (5/26/2005 5:15:00 PM) Post reply

yes i am guilty of being careless with my spelling but the peoplewho read my
    work get a great kick out of telling me, i use my mind i dont use a brush
    if i put it in a book then i would get the poem checked by a person
    who can spell even though they cant compose poetry

• Raynette Eitel (5/26/2005 3:48:00 PM) Post reply

Well, speaking of 'testiness, ' I have a comment to make about the way we write poetry. Some poets don't seem to think it is necessary to spell correctly. It seems to me a bit like an artist who is disdainful of mastering the use of a paintbrush or a musician who throws squiggles aimlessly at a musical staff. Words spelled incorrectly get in the way of the message and say that the poet is not taking his/her craft seriously. It is an insult to the reader, as well. There. I've said it, now do with it as you will. (This certainly was not directed at you, Lamont!)

• Michael Shepherd (5/26/2005 1:39:00 PM) Post reply

JC, that's a good idea. I didn't think we did a very good job on James Mills, actually. (James, would you like to comment on the comments?)

Could you post your critique/appreciation, Lamont, to get us going, since you're probably best at this?

I'll be late in posting, as I'm off on a philosophic symposium for a week. I have already read it, but not yet carefully enough to critique it.

• Raynette Eitel (5/26/2005 11:48:00 AM) Post reply

Shouldn't there be age requirements to this website? Sounds like some junior high kids who are trying to shock everyone. I thought this was a discussion page for IDEAS or good books and poetry...not empty thoughts. We have talked about the music in poetry and it made me remember a poet in a workshop I attended years ago. Her name was Elizabeth Shafer and she made her living writing a syndicated poem and wrote poems on the side. Although they were wonderful, big poems, she read them aloud in a flat monotone voice. I asked her about that and she said, 'A poem should stand on its own without theatrics.' I think Shakespeare might disagree, although I know there are some actors, like Richard Burton, who could make a grocery list sound like a song. There definitely is a musical quality in good free verse, but defining it exactly is difficult. I think every poet should read his/her poems aloud before ever presenting it in print.

• Allan James Saywell (5/25/2005 4:10:00 PM) Post reply

baxter you have not written enough poems to deserve a mention you must have been the class clown, i am not going to bother with you anymore, i am bored with you

• P.O.P. Erwin Baxter (5/25/2005 4:52:00 AM) Post reply

My poems have accrued an astouding averages of 10 ratings per poem! My critics accuse me of dumbing down but essentially I'm like Dickens or Bukowski: a writer for the man on the street and the ends justify the means.
    P.O.P.: POET OF THE PEOPLE
    erwin baxter

• mother baxter (5/24/2005 8:17:00 PM) Post reply

dont feel bad about having a raspy voice sonja as well as being deaf
    just sing opera in the bath

• mother baxter (5/24/2005 8:15:00 PM) Post reply

sonja are you born again, have you come back, anyway a great blessing from mother baxter, wait till i get hold of erwin, saying all those terrible things
    he isn't a son of mine anymore, dont tell everone but erwin is bent

[Hata Bildir]