Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • ***** ***** (4/15/2005 6:46:00 PM) Post reply

For sure.. this place has become a.. dare I say it.. a place of intelligent discourse... yippee! ! ! And not an expletive or a button stuck on 'cap lock' in sight... oh joy!

• Linda Preston (4/15/2005 3:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Anyone familiar with the work of the Russian poet, Alexander Blok?

Replies for this message:
    • Andy Konisberg (4/15/2005 4:53:00 PM) Post reply

any particular poem you'd like to discuss? It would be interesting...

• Marlon Marcus (4/15/2005 11:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

i want to ask you about poem without you by adrian hendry please give me comments about this poem

• ***** ***** (4/15/2005 12:55:00 PM) Post reply

I believe that the imagery in some of the poem is quite lovely, but some references don't fit with others for me.. the mention of 'Corn Flakes' jars, and 'sausage butties' is flat just after the subli ... more

• Andy Konisberg (4/15/2005 11:59:00 AM) Post reply

I like the repetition, I like the playfulness and the meaning behind it, I like the off-beat rhythm of the poem. Personally having already mentioned 'flowers' and 'music' and 'houses' (allbeit public ... more

• ***** ***** (4/15/2005 10:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I acquired a copy of the newly published 'Ariel - the Restored Edition', with much of her original manuscript scribbles on it - it's fascinating.

Sx

• Poetry Hound (4/15/2005 11:15:00 AM) Post reply

Good luck understanding her even using Sue's novel white noise idea. Her condition and the language she used were unique to her. Even if you're suffering from similar mental ailments, you might not be ... more

• Sue Casey (4/15/2005 11:07:00 AM) Post reply

Now to understand, try to read it as she would have written it. Turn your tv to white noise. Wait until you think you are on the edge of madness and think, just think that maybe it is whispering your ... more

• ***** ***** (4/15/2005 8:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Ah, the VAST difference between prose and poetry. I am trying to embrace the former, but find that the latter just dizzies it up - complicates it, purples it. No matter how much I try to tone down the language I use for prose and for dialogue, the poetic instinct just dogs it and I find I have used too many adjectives, too many colours, too many descriptive references. Is there any exercise to dilute one's writing such that prose doesn't sound like one long complex poem. A poem full of too much metaphor and hidden meaning for a reader to possibly take in without reading it over and over.. Has this message even been clear, I wonder, or have I tried to be poetic with this too...

(huff) a writer's insecurity is never done... Sx

• Michael Shepherd (4/15/2005 9:19:00 AM) Post reply

I find as a journalist that the PC's word-count is a wonderful tool. Write it as it comes; leave it a day or overnight; take 3/4 of the word-count, say, as your ultimate total; and cut down. After the ... more

• Michael Witkowski (4/15/2005 5:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Please refrain from petty kindergarten squabble and uppercase shouting.
    I

• ***** ***** (4/15/2005 6:09:00 AM) Post reply

Just ignore him.. it's just another of his Tourettic attempts to start a fight in the playground. He must be a lonely man, let's forgive him and move on.

• Allan James Saywell (4/15/2005 4:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

MARK LES MURRY IS AN ARTIST PAINTER, HOW COME YOU CAN SEND ME AN EMAIL WHEN I TICKED ONLY FRIENDS, I GET EMAILS FROM SOME PRETTY SAD PEOPLE
    I WONDER WHAT SORT OF POWER YOU HAVE TO BREAK THE SYSTEM, I DO WANT THE IRISH ONE TO SEND ME ANY EMAILS EITHER, I DID NOT OPEN YOURS BECAUSE YOU RUN WITH ENGLAND YOU DONT RUN WITH THE MAN IN THE TEEPEE, WITH THE PIPE

• Andy Konisberg (4/15/2005 7:31:00 AM) Post reply

However, if your photograph is an indication, you have not been doing any running with anyone (or even by yourself) for a number of years, Allan.

• Leen W (4/15/2005 4:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hello Everybody,
    Can anyone help me with the following:
    My daughter read 'Catcher in the Rye' by Salinger. The title of the book refers to a poem by Robert Burns (according to the book)
    'If a body meet a body coming through the rye etc.'
    Can anybody let me know which poem this is and where I can find it?
    Thanks to you
    Leen

• Michael Shepherd (4/15/2005 7:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Leen, forgot to say that Burns' poem was set to music very neatly, by? Field? M

• Michael Shepherd (4/15/2005 5:19:00 AM) Post reply

You'll find poems by burns on this site (haven't checked..) and on the web, since he is the favoured poet of all Scots... but the actual text starts 'Gin a body meet a body...' 'gin' being Scots for ... more

• mother baxter (4/15/2005 4:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

FOR GODS SAKE WHAT A BORING PLACE, COULD ANYONE TELL ME HOW MANY DEAD POETS ARE
    SUCCESSFUL, AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO PLAY INDOOR CRICKET IN THE CORRIDOOR

• Andy Konisberg (4/15/2005 7:22:00 AM) Post reply

William Shakespeare, Alexander Pope, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Christina Rossetti, Geoffrey Chaucer, Catullus (sic.) , Homer...the list of dead poets that are still successful is generally consid ... more

• mother baxter (4/15/2005 3:38:00 AM) Post reply

velmar that peanut mark fizzel or whoever you like to call him the ten poem wonder, he might be able to explain, it happens to me all the time

[Hata Bildir]