Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • mother baxter (5/1/2005 9:25:00 PM) Post reply

they say it can make you go blind, mister abbekka you had better check for hairy hands as well

• Robert Rorabeck (5/1/2005 9:09:00 PM) Post reply

i perform my work orally to my girlfriend- I'me sure you've met her, Five Fingered Mary.

• mother baxter (5/1/2005 8:55:00 PM) Post reply

amazing things happen, we now have siamese poets in the top 500 poets
    293 circus poets, have to be a couple of live poets not dead ones live ones

• Neil Francis Brooks (5/1/2005 2:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

I was wondering how many? poets here perform there work to a real audience or even go outside.

Replies for this message:
    • ***** ***** (5/2/2005 5:21:00 PM) Post reply

I read often and find that it is a treat to be received well... however, many poets butcher their own work by shyness.. a strong poem can be ruined by a slight voice. I guess you either can or can't ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (5/2/2005 7:57:00 AM) Post reply

i attend slams and readings constantly; i read at every opportunity. you never know what you'll get. one bloke i know once read his poems at various truck stops across the country in an ersatz hitch ... more

• maggie signaigo (5/1/2005 7:12:00 PM) Post reply

I went outside once and learned that the words 'there and their' are entirely different words, and not at all interchangeable even though they sound alike when spoken aloud...

• Michael Shepherd (5/1/2005 3:02:00 PM) Post reply

I expect Lamont and Jefferson do? Rich H ... more

• Neil Francis Brooks (5/1/2005 2:05:00 PM) Post reply

Keith you consider Vickram Seths Golden Gate excellent book heartbeat has just started on 3.

• Craig Hadden (5/1/2005 2:01:00 PM) Post reply

Keith, I don't know about 'underground' so much, but I think Virginia Wolfe's novel The Waves is incredible and very lyrical. Lawrence Durrell in the Alexandria Quartet (a group of four novels) also has a poetic style. For a much more unconventional 'off-the-wall' style, you might see if you can find Richard Brautigan's novels. Trout Fishing in America should still be in print.

• Neil Francis Brooks (5/1/2005 1:41:00 PM) Post reply

Cant believe you guys where talkining about the Lizard Kings poetry thought it would be above your station what will you discuss next poems of Robbie Williams.Is some atempt of try to be hip when you are way past it.

• Robert Rorabeck (5/1/2005 10:43:00 AM) Post reply

you can publish your own anthology of poems for $500- i've checked

• Craig Hadden (5/1/2005 8:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi, I'm new to this website and have been reading this running battle between Herbert Nehrlich and several of the rest of you as well as slams (I hesitate to use the word 'poems') involving Nehrlich and primarily GonzalezKolb. I've also read comments from some who are so disgusted by all this that they are leaving this website and that there are some like Lenchen Elf who have withdraw all their poetry all together. Would someone provide me with some background about why all this invective is happening? The few interesting and thought-provoking comments about poetry seem to get swallowed up and ignored by these running battles between people. It would be nice to be in a place where true discussions about poetry could occur, but as it is, I'm not inclined to post either comments or any of my poetry. So if I'm going to stick around and keep reading all this, at least I'd like to have a context to understand it.

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (5/2/2005 4:27:00 AM) Post reply

Craig, I'd endorse these comments. Herbicide and Saymore, Lenchen tells me, were perfectly pleasant in private messages, even homey, until Herbert's bad case of Attention Deficit Syndrome and Allan's ... more

• ***** ***** (5/1/2005 8:17:00 AM) Post reply

If you are from Australia and have been affected by bed bugs, then please fill out our Bed Bug Survey at www.ecentral.com.au/bugs

[Hata Bildir]