Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie ***** ***** (5/9/2005 3:54:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

JC I fear this error is another of the relaxations of grammatical rule.. something which bothers me also.

Moreover, pretty soon 'ask' will become 'axe' and the whole 'ight ending will have disappeared altogether in preference of the 'ite ending.. night=nite etc.. It is a laziness that is fearfully creeping in all too quickly. Don't get me wrong - I am not a language snob and I do believe in stretching rules. Also I do believe that evolution will apply to language as well as anything else. I just lament the changes... as they are more dictated to us by business, media and such than the more knowledgeable schools of english.

• Rookie Andy Konisberg (5/9/2005 3:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

a perfectly valid word 'academician'...it's made me consider something which might make for a bit of fun. personally, I would have preferred the word 'academian' to 'academician'. However, my preferred word does not exist, Jefferson's does. It made me consider the word 'think'...it always seemed logical to me that the past participle should be 'thunk' (however inelegant) ...anybody else have words that don't exist that they believe should be words? I know I'm inviting in the 'rogue element' to abuse this enquiry, but for others, I considered it may be an interesting gambit.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie ***** ***** (5/9/2005 3:21:00 PM) Post reply

Wow.. I'd love to engage with this challenge, but I am 'blessed' with a rather unfortunate memory... I know and am itching to remember ones that have come up.. will have to rattle this old cage to see ... more

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Rookie ***** ***** (5/9/2005 2:59:00 PM) Post reply

I would suggest that that statistic is less about a particular nation and more about the global collection of poets.. with only 10 percent overall reading and commenting. I admit that I don't read enough, but am improving and it is informing my work. Irish people are given an english education which would make anyone stop speaking the language.. it's force-fed and regurgitated at will.. no wonder Irish people don't go back to literature.. for the most part. It gathers a lump of fear in the throat. If people are to read poetry then education systems need alteration to encourage people to interpret openly, not solely reiterate the PhD theses of past pupils.

With respect to Ms. Boland, being part of the educational establishment can blind many academics to that little nugget of truth.

Sx

• Rookie ***** ***** (5/9/2005 1:45:00 PM) Post reply

I wrote this on the second day after the tsunami.. I am not offering it as part two, but it was about the moment of impact... It appears in 'Paint The Sky With Stars', an anthology from which all the proceeds will go to South East Asia..

Just following the thread, albeit sideways... :) Sx

Waterwall

Outstretched fingers flew by
    in the muddy gloop.
    Trees curled back, under strain
    of two people, now bound
    by a common blackness.
    I don't know you, hold my hand.

Many vanishing seas counted
    one, two
    then wielded a fierce revenge
    upon the earth,
    knocked it off its perch.

The glass was shook and
    dessicated humans floated
    a myriad in the little ball.
    Bloated they fell to the shore
    as the raging floor of the ocean
    sucked back a vomit.

Cracked shells, sun-seared
    lay upon the settled sand,
    crimson-coated,
    flung and spun in the flood,

Arms straddled, calling up.
    What did you hug
    before the ocean pulled
    its continental plug?

Wrapped into each other,
    this tender horror scalpels
    all the more, bodies
    blistered and scored.

Babies sleeping, all
    peaceful on a drunken shore.

Sonja Broderick

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (5/9/2005 9:14:00 AM) Post reply

re: JOY DIVISION

they really were a fantastic band. i got into New Order first and worked my way back. the grating, sub-par distorted production of Joy Division was initially hard to swallow compared to NO's slick electronics thanks in no small part to Stephen Hague. Ian's voice was almost comical to me.

but then i dug deeper. i listened to his lyrics. i learned more about him, i read all the liner notes i could find! and i grew to admire and respect Joy Division, and enjoy NO even more.

Dead Souls, Transmission, and She's Lost Control remain my faves...

Jake

• Rookie Andy Konisberg (5/8/2005 7:22:00 PM) Post reply

Ian Curtis wasn't the best live performer and I prefer The Fall but Joy Division did some interesting work.

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (5/8/2005 8:41:00 AM) Post reply

The Morrison poem I USED to like was (and I'm doing this from memory) :

Nothing.
    The air outside burns my eyes.
    I'll pull them out and
    get rid of the burning.

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (5/8/2005 7:50:00 AM) Post reply

Anthony and all - I've attempted a very quick demonstration of the way a poet might approach the content of the Morrison poem.. it's up as 'Man Raking Leaves'. Of course a poem set to music, however sparsely expressed, is still magic, so it's no comp - though I can envisage it as shooting script for the opening of one of those exquisite Japanese films with their fabulous plink-pause-twang soundtracks...

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (5/8/2005 7:45:00 AM) Post reply

Jim Morrison wrote good solid rock lyrics and had a huge amount charisma that keeps on giving (judging by the continuing parade of worshipers to his grave at Pere Lachaise) . But his poetry is pretty ordinary. Not terrible. Just not very good. It really needs to be accompanied by Doors tunes.

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (5/8/2005 5:53:00 AM) Post reply

And to add to Adam - I'd never written anything but sonnets until I met this site and its practitioners, for which I'm enormously grateful.

[Hata Bildir]