Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Poetry Hound (4/8/2005 11:07:00 AM) Post reply

Sherrie, Lenchen, et al - this topic of the internet and poetry is quite interesting. I haven’t really explored it before. The internet has been integrated into my life in so many ways for almost 20 years, and yet I don’t think about it that much beyond the convenience and the marvel of what it can do. The interpersonal communications on the internet are extremely interesting. Like Sherrie says, you can have completely different personas on different sites. Which is the real one? All of them are. Which means the internet allows you to segment yourself into different personalities and test them out on others. It’s liberating in a way because you can push a given persona to its extreme in a way that you would never do in real life. I think some people extend this personality segmentation to poetry-writing by using different names/personas for different types of poetry. On this site, for example, Mai Opiut is the same person as Amy Murtagh. Neither one is her real name but she uses one persona for more serious poems and the other for lighter fare. (Don’t worry, I haven’t spilled the beans on her – she already revealed it a while ago) . She would have a more difficult time doing that without the internet.

• Ulrike Gerbig (4/8/2005 8:05:00 AM) Post reply

i decided to delet the two poems i contribute to the discussion yesterday. they are wasted here.
    so if anyone cares to read check 'ice age' and 'a dubious way to fame' under ulrike gerbig.

this here is just ridiculous!

u.

• Allan James Saywell (4/8/2005 6:41:00 AM) Post reply

where are your great poets mister fry, not you surely not mister england
    i have my list, i have just signed on are you all well

Allan james saywell

• Mary Nagy (4/8/2005 5:32:00 AM) Post reply

I think judging an entire race of people off a few comments here is a little harsh Kubla.........please give Americans a little more credit...we are more than a few people on a poetry website...and I'd like to think many of us are nice people representing America proudly here.

• mother baxter (4/8/2005 5:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

you americans running a fine poet down, because he is Australian, they did fight a war with you, they are fighting one with Americans now
    i will email the poet and convey what you have said, he does have a following
    you are not a very nice race of people

KUBLA KHAN

Replies for this message:
    • long gone (4/8/2005 6:16:00 AM) Post reply

there you go again Allan. You remain the head of your own fanclub. Good for you. Warmest regards, M.

• Allan James Saywell (4/8/2005 3:26:00 AM) Post reply

you are not in my world children, university does not teach you survival
    i regard you as inferior, dont try and act superior to me you pathetic little misfits, with your little kiddy games, look at the stats
    i entertain you carry on like imbeciles, the people can see right through you
    now go to bed like good children

AJS

• Janice M Pickett (4/7/2005 10:30:00 PM) Post reply

As the owner of a poetry site called POETIC-PALACE. I wish to notify all members of Poemhunter that I am accepting guests at the moment. I have also been notified by Herbert Nehrlich who I asked to post on the site, to let you know that I am an Independant person and that Herbert, Sandra, Janice and Allan were invited by me when I read their poems. They have no control over the contents, other than to sign a release for me to use their poems.
    Janice M Pickett had helped me with the site and I thank her for her input.
    However the site is mine and no-one has access to the contents but me.

Diane Utteridge
    Poetic-Palace

• Allan James Saywell (4/7/2005 9:49:00 PM) Post reply

If you want to see the real paul england go and look in my comments column
    and if you fail to see a twisted human being, laid out for all to see
    then i am a monkees uncle, which i sometimes think i am
    still i carry on, it only makes me more determined

BUCK NAKED

• Sarah Groves (4/7/2005 9:34:00 PM) Post reply

I was looking for an interesting poem that I could somewhat relate to and I found it. I encourage you all to read the poem, '! WHY! ' by Cynthia Silvera, it is very good.

• Allan James Saywell (4/7/2005 7:08:00 PM) Post reply

Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt

Buck naked

[Hata Bildir]