Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (3/29/2005 4:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

Might there be some subject about the actual writing of poetry which we might feel inclined to discuss? It's what this forum was set up for. I know so little about contemporary poetry anyway - even a list of personally admired poets would be a helpful start for me. There's a mass of poets on this site who may never get looked at by me because of not even knowing their names. I'll offer you one who corpses me - the guy we-all wanted to be British Poet Laureate - Benjamin Zephaniah. 'Dis Poetry' is joyous. And 'Christmas Turkeys'..

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (4/1/2005 3:45:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Thanks, guys, for a good response. That should keep me busy for days in the few minutes left after catching up with John Chung... Jefferson, you sound best equipped for setting us homework! ?

• ***** ***** (3/30/2005 2:12:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Another idea would be to discuss 2 versions of a poem. To illustrate how minor changes (substitution of a word, insertion or deletion of a line, etc.) might alter the meaning or artistic impact of a ... more

• Lenchen Elf (3/29/2005 5:11:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi Michael Three contemporary 'family favourites' here are Brian Patten, Roger McGough and Ian McMillan, unfortunately Ian isn't on this site but he is on BBC radio quite a lot, I think you'd like hi ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/29/2005 3:37:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Thanks Lare (I think I may speak for many of us here) for the kind words and you are right. There is lots of good stuff here. Wouldn't it be nice......
    Talking about good stuff I want to mention that your excellent book just arrived yesterday (I sent you a message to your inbox) and I am very impressed. From what I've read so far it is a real treat and special thanks for your note/autograph. Nice touch.
    Makes me think about a book, some day, when I least expect it, need it but want it...
    For those of you who are interested, I can recommend Lare's book, it is called
    'Point A to Point B (Well Almost) ', and I ordered it directly from the master.
    I also have Kelly Vinal's and Michael Shepherd's books, all great stuff.
    And thanks for the three dollares, Lare for plugging your book, , ,
    H

• Lare Austin (3/29/2005 9:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

Hi...for whatever my opinion is worth (and I say that with much humbleness) ...I've been reading a lot of poetry from many of the poets on this site recently and I must say that it...well, most of it...is very, very good. Many and diverse styles...many stories and messages are written in very unique styles and I am delighted and amazed of the immense talent this site possesses. I applaud you all...all of you...for contributing your poetry and story telling for me to read here. It is like having a top poetry library right here on my computer...it doesn't get much better than this. I thank you all for letting me be a part of this very special poetry site/world...and to be able to share my poetry with you all as well. I say this quite sincerely. I salute you all for the poetry you contribute here. I know we have our differences but, hey, that's what makes us all special individuals. That is what makes our poetry our own. It is what we give of our own. And, hopefully, it will touch someone else who will like it...perhaps identify with it in some small way...perhaps even appreciate it in thier own private way. All I want to say is...Thank You...for sharing and letting me share as well. This is a good place to be because of all of you. Keep it flowing...

Just me, Lare

• ***** ***** (3/29/2005 9:29:00 PM) Post reply Stage

You have voiced what every budding, fledgling, born and mature poet should like to say. THIS is what poetry should be about.. learning, awe of language, respect of one another... etc... and, the trut ... more

• Michael Shepherd (3/29/2005 4:43:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Good for you, Lare. A very generous statement and what we all hope newcomers to the site feel about the work here (and there are quite a few of them...) . What I'd like on this forum is to find a s ... more

• Janice M Pickett (3/29/2005 1:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Lare..as usual you kindness, sensitivity, passion and pure reason, shines through. This was the ideal and as it should have been. It has been very unfortunate that the Karma was rocked so badly in th ... more

• Lenchen Elf (3/29/2005 10:17:00 AM) Post reply Stage

A heartfelt and sincere thank you Lare, ... more

• Ali Khorvash (3/29/2005 6:51:00 AM) Post reply Stage

hello everybody!
    I want to suggest you read the poem: YOUR PHOTO by SHIRIN PARVARESH.
    I found that very very senseful and beautiful.
    Its rating is 9.1 (13 votes)
    so I invite you all too read it and submit your comments and vote.
    Im sure that you will enjoy it!
    Ali

• Ali Khorvash (3/29/2005 6:50:00 AM) Post reply Stage

thanks Herbert!
    I read and enjoy the poem 'Your Photo' EVERYDAY!
    Ali

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/29/2005 3:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Sandra, although I am not sure you asked anyone and everyone, all 4 of those poems are excellent. They are of the high standard that we have come to expect of you.
    I won't place them in any order as that is always misunderstood. I like two of them more than the other two but I like them all.
    Why do you ask?
    H

• Janice M Pickett (3/29/2005 1:27:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I love Sandra's poems. In fact 3 have gone up at the Palace. She is a very talented and deep writer. I cannot understand why people say such nasty things. I guess it's jealousy because they are so sha ... more

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/28/2005 11:58:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hang on! ! I got that wrong. The order I wrote them (and what I meant to say) was Greatest to Great. If you get my drift.

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/28/2005 11:56:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi Sandra,

For me (in order of best to greatest)

Perfect
    Stop
    It sounded like
    Between Us Both

Kind Regards
    SG

• Sandra Osborne (3/28/2005 11:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I humble ask each of you, as a poet in search of the truth, if you all would read my last four poems: 'Perfect', 'Between Us Both', 'Stop' and 'It Sounded Like' and please tell me what you think, you too Poetry Hound. Please, I would really like to know. Thank You, Sandra

• Janice M Pickett (3/29/2005 1:32:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Has someone been slamming my friend again? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? How dare they. I don't have to tell you waht I think of your work. You already know. The Palace is the safest place to post. Send p ... more

• Poetry Hound (3/28/2005 3:01:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Thank you very much for your kind words, Sylvia. Pardon me if I do not refer to your poetry as doggeral even if you do.

[Hata Bildir]