Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Poetry Hound (3/23/2005 6:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Hi Sylvia,
    Thanks for your kind comment about my criticism. As for my own poetry, sorry I don't write any. But I am an avid poetry reader. As you know, I enjoy reading your poetry even though I am critical of it from time to time. I'm glad you're open to criticism. Others have a difficult time with it and actually believe that if you don't engage in an activity yourself you have no right to engage in criticism of it. It's asinine logic, of course, because it means you shouldn't criticize politicians unless you are a politician, and you shouldn't criticize films unless you're a film-maker, etc. If you’re interested in some other amateur poets around here, some of the ones I think are pretty talented are Lenchen Elf, Richard Hansen, Sherrie Gonzalez-Kolb, Christine Magee, and others that don’t come immediately to mind.

Replies for this message:

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Sylvia Spencer (3/23/2005 1:09:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Poetry hound
    I would like to know if you have any potry on poemhunter, only I have looked for some and I canot find any, do you go under another name, Only I would like very much to comment on your work. I would like to find out which way your pen flows.Only I too am a good critic, if your poetry is as good, as you are a critic
    then I shall enjoy reading it very much.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/23/2005 2:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Good evening to you Gypsy, you could place some brief comments right under the poem (s) , it has been done frequently before, although it probably needs to be considerably shorter than the poem itself.
    H

Replies for this message:
    • Janice M Pickett (3/23/2005 2:44:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I think a rule of thumb is that if anyone leaves a critique, then they leave a vote also. We are hoping to have the two areas tied up so that if anyone wants to vote they can only do so if they have l ... more

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/23/2005 2:04:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Good Morming, Afternoon and Evening (where ever you all are) ,

I have a question that I wish to set free into this jungle. Does anyone know if the powers that be are thinking about adding a field where we can provide details (If we want to) on what it was that inspired a particular poem and the circumstances that it was written under?

And my next question is if we did have this facility would it a) Be helpful for the reader to provide more insightful comments and ratings on the poem?

Or b) Be seen as a failure on the poet for not having the ability to paint a broad enough picture of their poem in first place?

I for one would really like to give more of an insight into the background of my work. Look forward to your comments.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/22/2005 9:10:00 PM) Post reply Stage

That's the old German in me, always tried to be on the forefront, also very upfront, if you know what I mean. Beats beating around the bush which is something the Innuendo People do.
    I also pride myself in having a very keen eye (no sign of presbyopia or bias-jaundice) which helps tremendously to read even between the lines.
    Relieved it wasn't anything personal, though.
    H

• ***** ***** (3/22/2005 8:46:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Nothing personal.. but funny you were the first to respond..

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/22/2005 8:40:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Keep wondering Sonja. Why don't you just come out and say what's on your mind?
    In case the wondering that you are referring to was aimed at me (presumptious, I know) the message I left for the wonderful new poet Gypsy was an explanation of how to navigate the site better.
    But enough of this personal stuff, just wanted to spout out some things.
    H

• ***** ***** (3/22/2005 7:56:00 PM) Post reply Stage

This forum was certainly becoming a place for people to sound out their thougts, but will it be eclipsed by personal issues, I wonder? .......

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/22/2005 7:24:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Gypsy, you now have a reply hidden under reply.
    Just in case you have not seen that small number (it took me a while!) .
    H

• Marco Polo (3/21/2005 9:06:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Can some kind fellow Poem-Lover kindly enlighten this SBK as to the meaning of the following words and/or phrase in Phillis Wheatley lovely poem “An Hymn To The Morning” copied below?

Line Words / Phrase
    01 lays … nine
    09 lays
    15 bow'rs
    20 abortive song

An Hymn To The Morning
    by Phillis Wheatley

01 ATTEND my lays, ye ever honour'd nine,
    02 Assist my labours, and my strains refine;
    03 In smoothest numbers pour the notes along,
    04 For bright Aurora now demands my song.
    05 Aurora hail, and all the thousand dies,
    06 Which deck thy progress through the vaulted skies:
    07 The morn awakes, and wide extends her rays,
    08 On ev'ry leaf the gentle zephyr plays;
    09 Harmonious lays the feather'd race resume,
    10 Dart the bright eye, and shake the painted plume.
    11 Ye shady groves, your verdant gloom display
    12 To shield your poet from the burning day:
    13 Calliope awake the sacred lyre,
    14 While thy fair sisters fan the pleasing fire:
    15 The bow'rs, the gales, the variegated skies
    16 In all their pleasures in my bosom rise.
    17 See in the east th' illustrious king of day!
    18 His rising radiance drives the shades away-
    19 But Oh! I feel his fervid beams too strong,
    20 And scarce begun, concludes th' abortive song.

Thanks!

Marco Polo
    The Photographing-Poet-Errant
    Snail-mail: Grechesky Prospect,5, Apt.3,191036 St. Petersburg; RUSSIA
    tel/fax: (7-812) 277-5448
    e-mail: marco@marcopolopoet.com
    Poetry & Photo Homepage: www.marcopolopoet.com
    English Teacher Homepage: www.geocities.com/eispb

[Hata Bildir]