Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Linda Preston (4/10/2005 6:10:00 AM) Post reply

Paul,
    I think you are making it pretty clear you say what you want! My point of view is equally valid to yours - so you will not tell me to shut up. Again, you demonstrate you cannot enter into a discussion without getting mad. A discussion is just that - dictionary definition is: - 'to talk something over'
    not try to shout others down.

• Linda Preston (4/10/2005 5:52:00 AM) Post reply

Paul,
    You are still not understanding what I am trying to say - anyone making remarks about someone's nationality is not entering into the spirit of poetry - so I would think the best thing would be to ignore them! ! As I said this is not what poetry is about. P.S I'm more of a coffee drinker actually

• Linda Preston (4/10/2005 5:21:00 AM) Post reply

Paul, You need to go and join the National Front I'm sure they will welcome you there. There is nothing wrong with Germans. For God's sake the war was 60 yrs ago - I have visited Germany on many occassions - they are very welcoming! ! A poet would not make a comment like that

• Linda Preston (4/10/2005 5:04:00 AM) Post reply

I've had my fair share of spiteful comments and I'm utterly amazed by them. The people who leave them cannot call themselves poets - poetry is about being accepting of others and their views and working towards bringing certain issues to public attention. These people are just on a great big ego trip trying to make themselves feel better by putting others down.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/10/2005 4:16:00 AM) Post reply

No problem Lynette, you are a real poet with talent.There are onl; y a few here.
    I noticed that a certain entity I have privately named Triglyceride (don't know if the name fits, but it is a hunch) posted my latest poem so they could pick it apart.
    I also noted that it has disappeared, do you think they bit off more than they could chew?
    H

• Michael Shepherd (4/9/2005 6:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Bending over backwards to be charitable, I'd like to allow these two gentlemen to continue to post their poems for enjoyment and assessment, but ban their comments on others... but that may not be possible.
    There may be hope of redemption... I think that anyone coming to this site for the first time would be touched by Paul England's most recent poem about his brother. And wonder at the 'comments' on it.

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (4/9/2005 6:01:00 AM) Post reply

what do you want to talk about ellen hurry up

• Allan James Saywell (4/9/2005 5:57:00 AM) Post reply

yes ellen speak to me

• Michael Shepherd (4/9/2005 4:49:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

This is a sorta public statement, since I feel this site is being ruined for the many by the few.

It is a well-established phenomenon of chat-groups on the web, that they can get taken over by a small group of regulars, who for lack of more mature topics, bicker in public among themselves. Then when any newcomer with some integrity or firm views on anything at all joins the site, they proceed to 'bait' them with mulltiple personalities.
    I have done this myself, taking on the role of a 20-year-old black boy on a macho American site - I had great fun for a week or so swopping unrestrained abuse with nigger-haters, until I realised that they, too, were working off aspects of their characters they didn't entirely believe in. And I found that this unrestrained abuse was beginning to seep into my 'real' character.

My theory is that we are all potential novelists. If we wrote novels, there would be 'goodies' and 'baddies' in it, and we'd have some fun making the baddies as 'real'as we could, from our inner resources!

The internet has this interesting ability to allow us to turn these 'baddies' loose to live a 'virtual life' in a net group. So for me, there's a Herbert whose verse stories are inventive and appreciated; and a Herbert who writes some of the most revolting abuse I've ever seen posted. There's an Allen whose outspokenness is appreciated by younger readers, and who could be the Ginsberg or the Bukowski of Australia if he addressed himself to the national scene around him instead of his own inner turmoil; and an Allen who scrawls the most childish abuse over every clean surface like a graffiti moron. There's a Sandra who could build a reputation as a woman poet, and the Sandra who takes personal offence. There's the Janice who writes gentle, thoughtful poems, and the Janice who lends herself to this petty squabbling. There's the Paul who would dearly like to make a contribution to making an urban sink of iniquity into something more livable in, and the Paul who grew up a streetfighter.

In short, we're all better at handing it out than taking it!

It requires that we all recognise this 'split personality' in ourselves as 'novelists', and simply keep the poetry postings quite separate from our personality squabbles. And stop inventing multiple personalities, which simply muddy the water and demean our own self-esteem. It is simply disgusting to invent a Nigerian or Chinese or other national pseudo-self and put up poetry to be judged as such. Of course people are going to judge it differently.

At the moment, these squabbles are being perpetuated just like such as the Palestine-Israeli conflict - using the 'enemy's' past iniquities to justify further acts of aggression, suppression and revenge.

All I ask is that the poetry columns are kept for poetry, the forum for what it says it's for at the top of this column - and if you wish to unleash your 'baddy' from your unwritten novel on the virtual world, OK go ahead and make it wittily irresistible - but please keep it to the private message columns OK and don't show it off in public?

Otherwise, how will any of us improve our poetry, let alone gain an audience among the very many who now read or join this admirable site with its admirable aims -or indeed, our characters?

Sensible responses to this comment would be appreciated - my friends!

Replies for this message:
    • Scarborough Gypsy (4/9/2005 9:15:00 AM) Post reply

Michael, That was quite brilliant. I agree with everything you said. Thankyou for speaking on behalf of the majority on this site. Kind regards Gypsy

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (4/9/2005 4:03:00 AM) Post reply

hello is anybody home, i hope you havn't been drinking, i cant stand drunks

[Hata Bildir]