Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Jefferson Carter (6/30/2014 8:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

Poemhumpers, here's a poem I like. It dares to be profound and actually pulls it off!

Allen Grossman

The Work

A great light is the man who knows the woman he loves
    A great light is the woman who knows the man she loves
    And carries the light into room after room arousing
    The sleepers and looking hard into the face of each
    And then sends them asleep again with a kiss
    Or a whole night of love
    and goes on and on until
    The man and woman who carry the great lights of the
    Knowledge of the one lover enter the room
    toward which
    Their light is sent and fit the one and the other torch
    In a high candelabrum and there is such light
    That children leap up
    unless the sea swallow them
    In the crossing or hatred or war against which do not
    Pray only but be vigilant and set your hand to the work.

Replies for this message:

To read all of 7 replies click here
  • Sherrie Kolb Cassel (6/29/2014 1:20:00 PM) Post reply

Hi my little love bugs...hope all is well. Tood...take care now.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/29/2014 10:10:00 AM) Post reply

Today I read the book of " Boomikku oru charama geetham" the translation roughly is " A funeral song to earth" Written by veteran Malayalam Poet ONV Kurup whose poetical talent is having such interest and fame all over Kerala and India. Having got so much titles on this revered poet whose creative writings are for social causes and concerns and also love, sympathy, and positive things of life etc. it has a wonderful effect in the minds of readers. The poems in the book is very relevant in todays world particularly where mother earth is disturbed so much and by the human intervention without the thought of tomorrow and the future generation. So much exploitation of nature is going on irrespective of such rules and regulations to save the mother earth on this tragic degradation and greed of the interested parties. I think that the earth and environment including water sources are a subject of importance for poets as well to arise and awake the human mind for its protection unless the generations to come will be in difficult situations where water scarcity, calamities of different types of tsunami like situations in the world we live and the world tomorrow the generation to live. The Bio diversity of the earth is also a beautiful and fit subject to take up by the poets for its conservation in its good terms of movements and make it a concern of the authorities and people alike. We are also mindful unless which regulated exploitation of materials from the sources are necessary for the infrastructure building and such good causes and there is no concern and difference of opinion in this aspect while taking up the conservation and protection issues in its real terms of articles and poems.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/28/2014 10:24:00 AM) Post reply

Geetanjali the poems of Ravbindra Natha Tagore who is also a nobel Laurate for his works and Geetanjali is a very ideal poem collection having so much importance to a valuable book reading. The experience of reading Geetanjali is oneself to be understood in detail by taking a chance of reading itself a very happy thing.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/26/2014 10:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I read two poems of great poet Paul Laurence Dunbar the one " We wear Mask" and two Life's Tragedy. Both of the poems are to be highly appreciable and very factual on human concerns. In the second poem the poet concludes the tragedy episode as We count our joys not by what we have But by what kept us from that perfect thing. how wonderful the imagination and it is wise and meaningful.

• X. L. Woo (6/26/2014 10:05:00 AM) Post reply

Who can tell me where to post my own poems besides comments messages here? My poems like shown here.

• Francis Lynch (6/25/2014 12:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello Poets: Question: Is anyone else finding their poetry from PoemHunter being attached to commercials for alcohol like Coors Beer?I've seen several of mine out there and wondering what's going on. I've written to PoemHunter, but they haven't answered yet.

• Leorne Adile (6/26/2014 2:06:00 AM) Post reply

do you mean being attached to commercials from other sites?if so then I find it out of order.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/25/2014 10:39:00 AM) Post reply

The Poem hunter com gives an opportunity to have such wide reading of poems throughout the world and it has an opportunity of connectivity of thinking minds and I feel it very happy opportunity.

• Gulsher John (6/25/2014 4:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Beginning My Studies
    by Walt Whitman

Beginning my studies the first step pleas'd me so much,
    The mere fact consciousness, these forms, the power of motion,
    The least insect or animal, the senses, eyesight, love,
    The first step I say awed me and pleas'd me so much,
    I have hardly gone and hardly wish'd to go any farther,
    But stop and loiter all the time to sing it in ecstatic songs.

• Gulsher John (6/25/2014 4:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

How can i satiate my empty brain, (like a starved stomach, hollow and acidic) seek to comprehend the 'LETTERS: Creation, Inspiration, and Imitation. where dose Art go? See, my frozen pen in ... more

• Jefferson Carter (6/24/2014 9:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Lamont (Alexander) , you have me at a disadvantage. I like plain style free verse. You like a more florid kind of free verse. I don't think I can find among the post-1990 poems I like one that will display that heavily iambic rhythm you're babbling about. I'll keep trying. Kinnell's poem is different from a Buk poem (though I'm going to look for a Buk work that's strongly iambic) in its use of vividly sensual imagery, extravagant diction, and gorgeous figures of speech. The plain style isn't so much about rhythm as it is about diction. While you're waiting for me to find a great post 1990 free verse poem, why don't you " scan" " Sow" and show me, by marking unstressed and stressed syllables, where all that supposed iambic rhythm occurs. That's my challenge to you.

[Hata Bildir]